1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mruczkowski will be ready in a snap

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted Sep 17, 2009

Scott Mruczkowski was a busy man in the Chargers’ win over the Raiders Monday night, and with the status of Nick Hardwick and Louis Vasquez up in the air, the fifth-year pro may be called upon again Sunday against the Ravens.

When Scott Mruczkowski[​IMG] was initially told this spring that he’d spend the majority of his time at center in 2009, it wasn’t a conversation he was very happy about. After hearing Norv Turner out, he became okay with his head coach’s decision, and now he may be in a position to really benefit from the call.

“Things happen for a reason,” Mruczkowski said. “Because of the move I may get a chance to start this week and if that happens I plan on stepping right in there, making the most of my opportunity and helping this team.”

Mruczkowski played center in college but had spent the majority of his time in San Diego at guard. This spring, the starting right guard position opened up and “Mooch” had hoped to have a chance to compete for the job. However, Turner felt Mruczkowski could help the Chargers more as a reserve at both guard and center, so he made the move.

“We have had a difficult time finding a backup center that could play either guard as well,” Turner said. “It was hard for Mooch because he wanted to compete for that starting right guard job spot, but from a standpoint of what was best for our team, I felt it was the right thing.”

While Mruczkowski was disappointed, he allowed Turner to put it in perspective.

“No one is in this league to be just a backup,” Mruczkowski said. “I’ve always wanted the opportunity to start and when they moved me to center I was a little upset. I talked to Norv and he put it in perspective for me: it all boils down to team. This is a team game. It’s not about an individual. If that’s where they want me, I’ll do the best I can.”

The Chargers began their preparation for their home opener against the Ravens Wednesday and did so without starting center Nick Hardwick[​IMG], who suffered a sprained ankle Monday night in Oakland. With Hardwick’s status up in the air, Mruczkowski is preparing hard so he’ll be ready if he’s called upon.

“I’ve got a chance to I’m on the field and I’m happy about that,” Mruczkowski said. “I just had so much fun Monday and look forward to getting to do it again.”

Turner is proud of the way Mruczkowski accepted his challenge, and he feels comfortable with the Cleveland-area native in the middle of his offense.

“He’s continued to get better,” Turner said. “There are some things that we don’t do when he’s in the game that we do with Nick, but we have plenty of offense that we can tailor it to the guys we have. He’s a good center and it’s nice to have that depth and have a guy like Mooch who is a pro.”

Should Mruczkowski get the nod Sunday, it will be his third-career start. His previous two came at right guard, and he didn’t know he’d be playing until he arrived at the stadium those days. Things may be a little different this week.

“Although it won’t be my first start if it happens, it’s my first week with a full week preparing to start,” Mruczkowski said. “It’s a big week for me. I’m not nervous or anxious. I’m just going to go have fun like I did Monday.”

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Some players need to read this a few times......

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'm happy for the kid, besides Nick hasn't looked the same since suffering that foot injury.

4. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Great attitude, and I for one welcome anything different from what we saw monday night. Hungry and eager meat is needed.

The definition of insanity comes to mind thinking of our oline the past few years.