1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Musa Smith - FA RB from the Ravens

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Feb 21, 2008.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Now that Turner is gone to FA, what do you think about trying to nab Musa Smith, backup RB from Baltimore? This guy has good size and is a tough runner. A good change of pace guy with LT. 6 Foot, 232. Ran all over the Pitt. Defense. Dude never was a No. 1, but would be a great backup for LT. Thoughts?

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/396086

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    He and TJ Duckett are my top two backup choices. Musa might be a bit more like turner while Duckett is just a big pounding back

3. Burley

Burley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Sproles, Gross, and a draft pick...not free agency...although i like the way you think....

4. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Just my opinion here.

I think that we should not draft a RB because like you said we have Sproles, Gross and Race to include as a RB/FB Pinnock.

So for the Draft since we do not have many picks we should not use one on a RB.

I think we need to use them on O-line and D-line to include a Safety and or Corner in the Draft.

ADDED EDIT: I forgot this I would not mind if we brought in Musa Smith for a look see. If he wants to be a Charger then sign him.

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Can't argue, might offer Musa a contract if the numbers were friendly enough not to interfere with signing our own guys long term.

6. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I like Sproles and Gross, don't get me wrong. But we need to pickup a tough bruiser like Turner who is a tough change of pace runner to LT (you know, the guy who pussed out....) He might come on the cheap too. I don't want to pick up a RB early in the draft and we def. will draft one late since it's a deep RB draft. Smith is kind of like my McCree pick. Relatively unknown (except for Raven fan), tough and hard nosed dude. Won't break the bank like the top FA RB's.

7. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I think that Musa, Mewelde Moore, and TJ Duckett are three definite options if AJ looks for a RB in free agency. All three are proven to be capable backups. Duckett really intrigues me because of his size.

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I checked some other boards and many have said Duckett is washed up. That's just what I read but don't know if it's true or not. I like Musa though.

9. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

That's weird, he's only twenty six, and he hasn't had any big injuries. In 12 games with Detroit, he had 65 carries for 335 yards, a 5.2 yard average, and three touchdowns with 54 receiving yards. For the second straight year, he didn't have any fumbles. The biggest problem that I see in snagging him, is that the Lions probably want him back. Personally, I think that he would be the perfect complement to LT.

10. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I wouldn't mind Duckett either. He would fit the Big Bruiser RB we need to spell LT. 6 Foot. 254. I like that size. We should bring in both, have them fight it out and see who's cheaper. Do it A.J.! :tup:

11. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    When the Turtle speak-eth ya'll had best listen up.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I'm fine with not drafting a RB but I'd like to get SOMEONE else and not just leave it to Sproles, Pinnock and Gross/Perkins/etc. And Smith/Duckett will help in that

and I have a hard time believing an effective college running back drafted in 2002 who's never been hte primary running back since entering hte NFL is 'washed up'

13. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Id rather get Kevin Smith/Steve Slaton/Matt Forte/Mike Hart

at least one of them will be available to us with our 5th rounder (or maybe a higher pick if we get a comp pick for DD)

14. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Me too.

15. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    To me, that doesnt make sense. RB will present by far the most value at that point in the draft and with it being a need, it should be a spot we look at.

Also, a guy like Musa Smith or TJ Duckett is going to demand a contract in the area of 3 year/6mil, whereas a rookie 5th round pick will offer much more potential at a fraction of the cost. RB is a position that doesnt require much time for transition, thus a rookie can play just as well as a 3-4 year vet

Like i said, ill take any of the 4 guys i mentioned earlier over a vet like smith or duckett

16. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Plus, I like the idea of taking an educated gamble on any of the guys that you mention over a sub par vet. There is a possibility that you strike gold that just doesn't exist with TJ or Musa.

17. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    There's also a possibility you bust on any of those guys too. Duckett or Smith aren't starters or probowlers but they are both solid. I say still draft a RB in the late rounds which I believe A.J. will do, but he should sign a cheap vet RB who HAS played at this level while you groom a young RB. Imagine a Duckett and Smith coming in for LT and give him a breather beating up the opposing defense. We're basically replacing Turner with a similiar stud, even though The Burner is better. We need a big bruising vet RB imo. But it's AJ's call. Not saying we don't draft a young RB in the draft late or even UDFA. You know A.J. is already ahead of us.

18. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    This is where I disagree. I think that we need to get a RB in the undrafted free agent route because since this draft is RB heavy that we might get a steal from the undrafted route.

I would rather have a vet out there to help out for a little bit of time to help groom either Sproles, Gross, Buckley and Race just in case LT goes down with an injury for any length of time.

I agree for the most part about your 4 RB's mentioned but any one of them would have to fall into our lap for us to get one. AJ would as well have to pull the trigger and I do not know if he would or not. Again since we do not have that many picks in this draft.

That is just my opinions on our RB situation.

19. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Give me a rook, RB is one of the few (maybe only position) where a younger player (even a rook) might be a better option over a vet. Plus who knows that player could end up being a stud, while we already know what we'd get with the 2 vets.

20. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

TJ Ducket sucks!

Smith would be ok, and another guy i think we should look at is Derrick Ward. He was very good when he filled in for the Giants.
    Has good size but got hurt and Bradshaw got his chance to shine. They have a lot of good backup RB's there and Ward is a FA this year so they can afford to let him go.

21. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    No way Slaton or Forte is around in the 5th round. Especially Slaton.
    He will run in the 4.35-4.4 range. He didnt have the year he had last year but the guy is a talent and he is fast.

Im not much of a Hart fan. He was productive i college but he isnt very explosive and for his size, he should be.

For a late round RB pick that i think is realistic in the 5th or 6th, i like Cory Boyd but.......i wouldnt mind Musa Smith or Derrick Ward as a FA either. I dont think either one would cost much.

22. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Hart is STUD!!!!!! GO WOLVERINES!!

As for the other guys, in another draft, i could see those guys going much higher, BUT this draft is so deep and there are more than a few good RBs in FA, so guys will drop so i could see one or two of those guys dropping

Im hoping its Kevin Smith. I have no idea how hes rated so low. The guy has good NFL size (6'1 220), good speed (4.5) and has great vision (evident by his 2600 yards and 29 TDs LAST YEAR)
    Hopefully he runs a slow 40 and we can grab him in the 5th.

I was really hoping Forte would stay rated so low, but after his senior bowl week, i dont see him making it out of the 3rd round, but you never know.

Also there are other guys who are rated around those guys that could help them drop, guys like Justin foresett, Dontrell Savage, Chauncy Washington, Xavier Omon etc...

Either way, this draft is so full of good RBs that we can get a 2nd-3rd round talent in the 5th-6th round, and to me thats a much better option than a stop gap retread like Duckett/Smith

The only FA RB i would really want is Julius Jones, and thats just because hes a poor mans (ok, more like a VERY poor man) LT

• Like Like x 1
  23. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    imo Hart lacks explosiveness and for his size, he needs it since he wont be running over many in the NFL.

Washington is another USC bust who didnt do much behind a very good USC OL. He doesnt do much for me either.

Havent seen Kevin Smith, but he had a buttload of carries last season. Ill be interested how he runs.

Agree, some will drop but i dont see Slaton dropping THAT much. Dropping for him would be the 3rd round and imo, he would be a steal there.

Forsett is Sproles 2 so i doubt we draft him.
    Tashard Choice i think would be a good 5th if he is there and i think he realistically could be. If not, i like Boyd in the 6th.

And as i said....TJ Ducket sucks and i dont want him at all. A cheap FA pickup for me would be Derrick Ward and IF we draft a RB high for some odd reason because we cant pass him up, i hope it is Felix Jones.

The combines cant get here fast enough.

• Like Like x 1
  24. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Hart might not be the fastest guy, but he has great moves and amazing vision as a RB. I mean it says something that hes the most productive player in the history of college footballs greatest team!

Washington might be a bust, but as a 5th or 6th round he might be worth a look and dont think he would be any worse than Duckett if he stayed healthy. Sure he might of been made look better by USCs OL, but Washington was very highly rated coming out of HS so we know he at the very least has some talent

Only saw Kevin Smith play twice, but man this guy is a beast. The guy just has great vision and almost always found the perfect spot to run. He also has good enough speed and didnt get caught from behind. Sure he got helped by a weak division but anyone watching can see the guy has talent. Hes the guy i really hope we can get (now that Forte is most likely out of range)

As for the other guys, im not high on them as i dont think they fit this team but i mentioned them as guys who can be drafted by other teams ahead of the 4 i did mention that would push them down

As for Slaton, he COULD go as high as the 2nd round, but dont be surprised to see him fall. He not only had a down year, but he also doesnt have the size teams look for in feature backs. At 5'11 190, hes not going to be able to take the punishment of an everydown back, and with the talent at RB this year, whose to say a team wouldnt rather take a shot on guy with starting potential? Sure he likely wont make it that far down, but i wouldnt say its impossible. Also, if we get a 4th round comp for Donnie (i know 5th is more likely), whose to say we dont take him there?

25. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205

I Completely Agree With This...

26. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I know he wasn't worth a first rounder way back when but still I care more that his running style is a good compliment to LT (Duckett is a N-S pounding RB). I don't believe he's out of gas and I believe he could come in nice and cheap most importantly. I don't know anything about Ward so I'm not saying anything. My only interest is preferably not spending a draft pick on a RB since I'd rather put what few draft resources we have to other areas of need.

27. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    A real comparison here would be ludicrous, but Marcus Allen was rapped for his lack of real speed as a college back. Allen had unnatural field vision and he could be deceptively quick and elusive. People get too hung up on raw stats. Some people just play faster than they show in solo tests. No matter what, though, Hart is still a crap shoot.

28. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Emmitt Smith was overlooked because of his speed and strength too in the combine. Jerry Rice didn't run a great 40. Combine numbers are o.k., but don't give you half of what a player can really do at the NFL level. There have been a LOT of combine "studs" who turned out to be "duds" at the NFL level. Too many to count as a matter of fact. Look at the video, see them in big games against great competition, talk to their high school and college coaches and see their real character and work ethic, not just the combine numbers.

29. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    The number one question is can they play the position. Tripped on one or two, but I've never been tackled by cone or faked out by a tackling dummy.

30. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Yes but im not talking about Hart's 40 time speed. Im talking about his explosivness that he lacks.

You dont have to have top 40 speed to succeed as a RB in the NFL but you do need to have some explosivness and imo when i see him , that is what he lacks. And being 5'9" , 195 that is something he needs because he isnt big enough to run people over in the NFL and fight for extra yards.