1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Must Read for You LT Doubters

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Jan 20, 2008.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Nick Canepa echoes exactly what I said.

NOBODY and mean NOBODY should doubt LT's commitment to this team!!!!

Canepa Story

I'll give you the part that I agree with 110% regarding LT. Read this guys esp. the "LT is a wuss conspiracy theorists" (you know who you are)

Canepa:

"Would LT have made a difference there? Probably, but he couldn't play. My understanding is that Tomlinson is being barbecued by fans for pulling himself, but it's a mistake. This was not his fault.

How can anyone, for a second, think this great player, who has waited all his life for this moment, wouldn't have played if he could?

If anything, you can blame Chargers coach Norv Turner for leaving open the possibility LT could have gone back in. I'm sure evil genius Bill Belichick would have done the same thing. This is the NFL, not Pop Warner. Anything for an edge.

“LT tried to go and he just couldn't go,” Turner said. “The pain in the knee, what he felt, he couldn't push off it.”

I've never seen Turner really upset, but he got red in the face after the game when a “reporter” asked him: “I'm sure Philip Rivers and Antonio Gates had pain and they played. What do you think his (LT's) teammates think?”

“Well,” Turner said, “don't get into that. I mean, that's the stupidest thing you could ask. The guy was not able to go. The doctors and trainers said he couldn't go.”

Look, the Chargers pretty much played this team straight-up. They had a great plan and, if this had not turned into a field-position game, it may have worked, even without LT. But I've always said, if you lose an All-Pro, you'd better replace him with another All-Pro, or you're not going to be as good.

Michael Turner and Darren Sproles may be fine backup tailbacks, but they're not LT. There is only one. And the suggestion that this Hall of Fame back took a powder is so asinine, I find it insane to be writing about it. "

2. Boo

Boo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a Pats fan. I don't see any Chargers coverage except what the national media gives me. The only LT interviews and tidbits I get are what is in EPSN's or a local channel covering the Pat's interest.

That being said...even I know that LT would've played if he could've.

During the telecast they commented on LT not being in the game and said it was a "coach's decision". Basically that he was available but not playing.

A little further into the game, and still no LT, I turned to my brother-in-law and said "Something has got to be wrong with Tomlinson, because if he could physically play, he'd be in there."

Look, I don't particularly like LT for some of the comments he has made. Even still, I know the guy is a gamer, and wouldn't pull a Thurman Thomas and take himself out of a game like that. I think that people are questioning his commitment is BS.

Hey. I'm just sayin. :)

3. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I had no doubt that LTwould have played if he could. LT not playing is not why we lost...it did not help, but we have back up talent that could have filled the gap in the red zone. We just did not get it done.

This team should still remain committed to build around LT.
    The heart and soul of the team.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    It was my impression that Rivers and Gates were worse off that LT. I could see he wanted to go in but Norv didn't put him in.

I guess it was pretty bad.

5. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    LT's injury was worse than a hyper extension. He had a sprained MCL. Rivers had that and was limping around. I mean it's one thing for Rivers to play hobbled because he isn't expected to run full speed, run over and juke out defenders, and I'm sure LT tried everything he could to pull through but he just couldn't go, and I bet you it is killing him inside more than any fan that he couldn't help his team when they could of used him.

And the same people who are calling LT a wuss are the same people who'd ***** if he did play and didn't play well because he was clearly hurt. They'd just be calling him selfish instead. :tdown:

6. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Bingo. People second guessing all the time and Monday morning QBing. Please nobody question LT's commitment and heart to this team. Nobody.

7. bucnasty

bucnasty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Anyone who thinks LT would puss out of the first AFC Championship game in his 7 year career is a friggin moron. Local radio stations are saying he needs surgery. He is a warrior, and would have palyed if he could. The fact he didnt means he would have hurt his team more than helped had he gone in.

8. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I think I'd rather have him up and encouraging other players on the sidelines rather than sitting on the bench with his helmet on .. whether it was true or not, it came across like he was pouting.

9. BajaBolt

BajaBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    Fans have their right to an opinion, but my goodness LT is a man who trains harder than almost anyone in the NFL. He has been the epitome of excellence and competitiveness for the last 7 years. Here he has the chance to go to the Super Bowl and people think he just decided to sit on the bench because he was "afraid" or was just being a "wuss". I can't believe people want to question this man's heart or desire. It's really easy for people to criticize him in the comfort of their homes sitting on a lazyboy with the heat set to a comfortable 75 degrees!

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!! You should all be ashamed of yourselves. Quit looking to make a single person a scapesgoat based on the fact he was injured, trying to get the ball into the endzone no less, in a playoff game in Indy. Don't forget that he was also injured down the stretch, but kept playing those last 3 games to ensure we would get that 3rd seed. The guy played injured and then sat out the second half of those 3 games.

I just hope we didn't betray LT so much with all this BS talk by fans and local media types (like "the bulldog" Joe Titino incessantly criticizing LT like he knows what type of pain the man was in) that we ruin a great thing here in SD.

And, also, did any of you critics ever think that:

A) That Norv wanted to win the damn game and made a coaching decision by playing a healthy MT and Sproles to achieve that goal

and/or

B) LT is the ultimate team player because he knew he was not going to be effective at all and MT and Sproles gave us a better chance.

Quit looking to blame one guy because he got injured and had been playing injured. LT does not train his *** off for individual awards. All he really cares about are championships. He's said it a million times and you know he means it. It had to kill him that he was unable to perform on the field in this game. Don't make it worse by manufacturing a bunch of hate towards him because we lost the game. The Pats caught us at about 50% full strength on offense. Our defense held them to 21 points. If we were at full strength offensively you better believe we score at least 24. It didn't happen. Move on. I just hope we don't run the one guy that has been a constant for this team the last 7 seasons out of town because we're looking for a fall guy.

One last note to the guys that say he should have been a cheerleader on the side and jumping up and down and "helping" MT with reads: Ever think the training staff told him to stay off the knee. To rest it and not aggravate the injury by moving around?

10. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    LINK

My guess is that he would have hurt the team more than help them if he had re-entered the game, especially when you have two very capable backups in Sproles and Turner. Bottom line for these playoffs, once again you need breaks to go your way in order to win a Superbowl. You're not going to blow people out, so you need to little things to go your way. Injuries to the three most important players on offense does not help you, especially when you consider that our biggest problem was scoring in the red zone, and Gates and LT are our two biggest red zone threats. We've got to get to the playoffs again next year, and hopefully we'll be healthy.

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    LT and Gates have combined for 65 TD's in the last 32 regular season games, it would have helped to have them those 3 times we were inside the 10ydline.

It ****in figures.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    This is my first read concerning the extent of LT's injury & why he couldn't go. I knew that it had to be bad for him not to play. Didn't question the why, just the how bad is it.

I'm sure that LT felt worse about not being able to play than anyone. And anyone who questions his heart is worse than a moron - they're a traitor to this team. LT put the team first - he felt that MT/Sproles could perform better than he could.

We played a tough game with the cards we were dealt. No one to hate on or blame. We were beaten by a very good, healthy team. The refs didn't take it away from us. No excuses, IMO. Injuries are part of the game. They just came at the worst possible time for us.

Good luck to the Pats. We'll see ya again next year. :yes:

13. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    The same people who question LT's commitment to playing are the ones who were chanting "Marty" at the games earlier this season. Seriously, there are a lot of people in this world who need to take about 3 seconds to think before they open their mouths.

I said earlier I wasn't happy with LT's demeanor and the fact that he looked like he was already (personally) defeated while the outcome of the game was still in doubt. But that has nothing to do with whether or not he couldn't play.

To me the simple reason LT didn't play is this: A healthy Michael Turner was a better than a gimped LT. And a healthy Darren Sproles running draws and screens was better than a gimped LT. It was a smart and team-oriented decision by whoever made it.

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That's it Thunder. LT was sitting the bench for the good of the TEAM, not for him. He wasn't pouting I don't believe either. He was disspointed as HELL he couldn't contribute out there! Everybody put yourselves in his shoes on the biggest game of his career and see how you would all feel, and not being able to contribute. I just can't believe I'm trying to defend the LaDainian Tomlinson, the man. He's one of main reasons we are even in this POSITION! It's funny how a lot of people just need to find that scapegoat and not really think things out clearly before they say it. I even read in the UT this morning some of the "fans" saying they should have played Volek. Just more uneducated Charger fans trying to find somebody to blame. I know a lot of those idiotic comments are some young junior high kids that have NO knowledge about Charger football like a lot of the vets on this board that have followed this team for over 3 decades. Bottom line is they gave it ALL they got with the walking wounded they had and they did pretty damn good against the best team in football. I'm proud of what they did, esp. Rivers. Next year is OUR year! :icon_toast:

15. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    I just want to know how bad the injury was. When a star player sits out like this, something is REALLY wrong. It's not like LT pulls a Fred Taylor (injury prone except for this year) every season. I hope it's not career affecting.

16. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    I really doubt LT "wussed out" but if he was that hurt it was a very poor decision to have him active instead of using that slot for a player that could have contributing.

Impossible to know if this was Norv being an idiot or if LT was being selfish and saying he could play when he couldn't.

17. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Good read , it looks to me like a few folks have become sensationalist on T.V. and on the fan forums. When I read trash questioning LT's commitment to the team it makes me sick.

18. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    The team had no way of knowing how well LT knee would hold up to contact. The chance that he could play and contribute along with the fact that the Chargers are not in the playoffs with out LT contributions this season earned him the right to be on this roster.

The fact that after a couple of hits he was done hurt the club and no doubt was a huge disappointment for LT. The Chargers missed him on the 3 red zone trips where he is the leagues best back at scoring.

It is what it is and good luck with your team the rest of the way.

19. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Boo hoo. LT didn't break out his pom-poms so that it looked better to those who were watching at home. What a dick.

Come on, people. I know you're disappointed with losing, as I am. But this is the same kind of lazy video clip rationale/jumping the gun that causes the Chargers to be labeled punks when they are not. LT was on of the primary reasons that this team got where it was this year. He has dedicated his life to bringing us a championship. Second-guessing him like this is weak.

20. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'm embarrassed about the fans criticizing ladanian. These fans are either fools or just stupid. When your hurt your hurt. Just blows my mind any fan can be that dumb to criticize him..

21. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    what a worthless article, i dont think anyone cared that LT didnt play cause he couldnt, it was the fact that he just sat there and sulked it up

22. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You're talking out of your ***. You saw a few shots of LT sitting on the bench with his helmet on and you've determined that he was sulking. We don't know what LT said to his teammates. We don't know how vocal he was. We don't know if he was told to sit down to not do further injury to his knee. I saw LT sitting next to Rivers for much of the game. He might have been giving him words of encouragement the whole time. We just don't know.

23. asuknowimaclassyguy

asuknowimaclassyguy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Unbelievable.

Go back to the beack-you are not football fans. To back up a quitter who sat on his rear and sulked because he didn't have heart-you really must be kidding.

LT calls out Belicheck. LT calls out Rivers. And when his time to shione comes he quits.

Gates and Rivers are to be applauded.

LT--Exposed. You are a pro bowl stud, you. I choose you for fantasy football, and Hawaii. For a championship, I will go for a player with heart.

24. bucnasty

bucnasty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    TROLL. Go back to whatever hole you crawled out from.

25. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,584
    [​IMG]

26. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Sulked it up? You're wrong there. If he wanted, as you put it, to "sulk it up", he would have stayed in the locker room the rest of the game. He didn't. Don't tell me he wasn't supporting his team even if he was sitting on the bench. I saw he & Rivers talking plenty of times, and either Sproles or Neal were sitting next to him as well.

27. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Bingo boltssbbound.

28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    i'd still like to know why he wasn't there backing his teammates and cheering them on

I've accepted he couldn't go on his bad MCL and I accept that taking himself out was probably the best option. But still why was he sitting on the bench?

29. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Because they had heated seats? :icon_shrug:

30. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Why was sitting on the bench not backing his teammates? He was sitting with them on the bench. It's not like he stayed in the locker room or was down at the end of the bench by himself.