1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Must win?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Mid-west Chargers fan, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Mid-west Chargers fan

Mid-west Chargers fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    This is not a gloom and doom thread, however, I see this as early a must win (this week vs, the Donks) as ever in the season. If we win, like we should, we will be tied with Denver (and have the first leg up in the tie breaker). If we lose (heaven forbid :unsure:) we will be 2 back and down in the tie breaker. I know that it is only the 2nd game of the season and there should be no problems by the end of the year :tup: (with a comfortable lead over all of the AFC West). With that thought, I am putting this out as a thought experiment.

2. floridaboltfan

floridaboltfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    They need this game very badly but its not a must win remember we started 1-3 last year and still won the division. Thsi is going to be an interesting year.:abq1:

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I was thinking the same thing man. This is almost a "must win". Losing to Carolina was not too fatal. Non-conference, non-division. But this game coming is is inter-conference, inter-division so it's huge. They better find a way to tackle and wrap up on defense or it's 0-2 guys. We need the OLD JAMAL (as in, the "better" Jamal not the older one) and the defensive line to wrap up and tackle guys! And Cro, quit trying to make the highlight reels attempting to make the pick and just make the PLAY!

4. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Agree with you on Cro. This secondary has a knack for getting to the ball, the INTs will come on their own. I was reading where Hart commented about Weddle getting in position in the first place to almost make that play in the endzone. It wasn't even his area and he almost got there. Cason looks very promising and opportunistic as well. Cro needs to stop worrying about his lofty goals and get his mind as far away from his agent as possible.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Second game of the season can not by definition be a must win

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I agree but I still say that "any game against an AFC West team is a must win!"

7. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Especially against a team that is riding the wave of cockiness and utter superiority that the Donks are now on. It would do wonders to knock them down to reality and return some doubt to their minds. It's truly hard to even gauge them since they played what looked like one of the weakest and most inept teams I've seen in quite some time.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    we lost our first game against an AFC west team last year and the second (our fourth game) the year before that and we lost the first AFC west game in 2004.

Didn't really affect us.

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    0-2 won't end our season but I still see no reason in Hell that we shouldn't finish at 6-0 against our AFCW foes.

10. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Maybe not a must win but we do not want to put ourselves into a hole and be down 2 games to the Donks.

Also, we do not want to be 0-2 going into a showdown with Broadway Favre and the NY Jets.:tdown:

GO CHARGERS!

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I just want to beat the **** out of the Donks every time, any place, as badly as possible.

**** Shanarat. :icon_twisted:

12. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    We definatly HAVE to win this game no excuses. As a matter of fact i want a blowout:icon_twisted:. nothing else. we need to regain our confidence. And i don't 100 yards by any rb on that roster.

13. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    If Selvin young has more than fifty yards, heads better roll. This is Denver, a POS running team that actually thinks it's good because they pwned the Raiders. Cutler is going to suck because we'll bring the heat and he has proven he'd rather stay out of the kitchen. There is no reason we can't win this game.

14. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    You are right on Aggie. The thing that worries me is we were saying the same thing about the panthers 4 days ago :unsure:

15. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    i dont think this is a must win, but more of a must show up. we couldnt bring the heat v.s. the panthetics. we better get goin. 0-2 isnt too bad. its o-4 is what we should worry about. anyone know how the giants started the season last year?

16. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    0-2. Lost to the playoff Packers and Cowboys.

17. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    to appease (sp?) the lawyer in the group (Ant), No by definition it's not a must win, but it's the closest thing there is to a must win week 2 game.

If the Chargers lose this game it will be armageddon in this forum

18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    And the bandwagon will empty out. Not us folks here, the BWers around town.....:tdown:

19. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    A poor showing last week combined with a division game in Denver should get this team focused...if it doesn't, it could be a long season. With Merriman now going on IR the defense will need to step it up big time. They have done it before, I'm hoping they are ready to do it again. If we don't have our "A game" the donkeys could make us look bad...nowhere near as bad as the Rai-turds...but still bad. If our offense can get rolling we can keep Cutler and company off of the field.

Go Chargers!

:abq2::flag::abq2:

20. Chad Peter

Chad Peter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    It's deceptive that Selvin Young is listed as the #1 back, because really the #1 guy in Denver is Andre Hall. I didn't like Hall at all last year, but he really bulked up and can actually toughen out a few extra yards on a carry now. The Bronx hardly even played Young last night and I don't believe they even passed 100 total yards on the ground. I'm beginning to believe that Shanahan has finally accepted the fact that they've been flailing as a running team for the past two years now without superior running-back talent in the backfield, and now he's embracing the deceptively deep WR corps. This is the first year since Elway's days that the Broncos are really a pass-oriented team.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

That's NOT good. Us folks here are not enough.
    WE NEED ALL THE FANS WE CAN GET!!!

I don't care if you were a Chargers fan for 10 years or 10 days. We need to keep selling out and painting the Q, Blue and Gold!!!

22. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    WE don't need to worry....no one wants to go to a game anyways. not only did we get granted an extension we were the LAST team to sell out (if it is based on when the NFL announced the blackouts were officially lifted.)

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    As long as we sell out, who cares?

24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Every game is a MUST WIN.

25. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    This is not a must win for us. Denver is not teh same caliber team we are so even if we lose, we will still win more games than they will.

The 2nd game of the season is never a must win!

Are you forgetting we started 1-3 last year? :icon_huh:

26. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Yeah, let's let Denver start the season with a 2 game lead in the division.

Anyone who doesn't think there is signifigance of these games this early in the season is a fool. EVERY game matters. That's why they make us play 16 and not 12.

:rolleyes:

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    IT'S A "MUST WIN" NOW!!!

WE ONCE WON FOUR GAMES IN A ROW WITHOUT SHAWN!!!

IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT FACING AN AFCW FOE.
    IT'S ABOUT MAKING A STATEMENT!!!
    WE'RE STILL GOING TO WIN THE WHOLE FREAKIN' THING!!!!
    :bolt: :bolt: :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  28. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    IT'S A "MUST WIN" NOW!!!

were going to spank those donkeys, then im going to piss all over those denver streets.

29. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    IT'S A "MUST WIN" NOW!!!

denver deserves to be beat.

30. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Thinking the 2nd game of the season is a must win is foolish. Again, we started 1-3 last year and were in the AFC championship game.

You think Denver is near as good as our team is? :lol:

They wont keep up and lose more than we will during the season.

Should we win, do we want to win and is it a good thing to win? Absolutely but it isnt a MUST win. That's jumping the gun.

Their next 6 games are against us, New Orleans, KC, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville and New England.

I potentually see 3, 4 hel maybe even 5 loses there.