1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

MY BOY - CLINTON HART

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Hart holding his ground in job fight

He's looked very good in preseason, lets hope he can carry it over....

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...4sullivan.html

The conspicuous change in Clinton Hart is that he's not trying quite so hard to get noticed.

The Chargers' strong safety is holding his job by holding his position, following his football blueprints rather than improvising on the fly. At the relatively advanced age of 30, with a touted rookie on his tail, Hart has learned that less can be more even at a position where the premium is on applying punishment.

He is standing out, counterintuitively, through sheer conformity.

“When you're behind somebody, chasing, you're always trying to push to make a play,” Hart said yesterday afternoon at the Chargers' Murphy Canyon complex. “You want to show everybody, 'Hey, look, I can make plays, too.'

“But this year I'm (more) relaxed playing. Now the shoe is on the other foot. A young guy comes in here and he's pushing me. It's like he's pushing me to the edge and I turn around and say, 'I'm not going off this cliff.' So I have to hold my own.”

In trading up to select Utah's Eric Weddle in the second round of the NFL draft last spring, the Chargers formally placed Clinton Hart on notice. Informally, they had revealed their reservations by allotting him only one start during Terrence Kiel's long, strange, unsteady 2006 season.

Kiel's release created an opening on the depth chart, but no sooner had Hart moved up than Weddle's selection indicated he might soon by moving on. Yet if Clinton Hart remains figuratively poised at the edge of a cliff, he has dug in his heels and staked out his territory. Among the artifacts in his locker is a plastic figurine of King Kong, whose symbolic station is “to protect what's mine.”

Today, on the eve of the Chargers' third exhibition game, the relative status of the Chargers' strong safeties remains unchanged. Hart is still starting, Weddle still pushing, and the ongoing battle is making them both better.

“Competition brings out the best in all (of them) if they're competitive people,” said General Manager A.J. Smith. “If they're not competitive, they can look behind them and not even be smart enough to realize who's behind them. But the ones that know, they know, 'I've got to elevate my game or it's curtains for me.' ”

Hart says his first reaction to the drafting of Weddle was “a little bit of a downer.” But he has since come to terms with the competition.

“I think (Hart) has handled it the best way you can,” coach Norv Turner said. “He's just gone about doing his job day to day. . . . To me, he's approached this camp like he's been the starter for the last six years and he plans to be the starter for the next six years.”

In the spring, Turner noticed, Hart was prone to attempt plays beyond his area of responsibility. Though it was hard to fault an at-risk player for trying to impress new coaches, Hart's extemporaneous efforts received mixed reviews.

Then followed a moment of epiphany, the realization that following instructions could lead to longevity. Hart studied the work of Philadelphia's Brian Dawkins, a six-time Pro Bowl safety whose job he had once coveted, and made that his model.

Except for an injury interlude in 2003, Hart never did succeed in taking Dawkins' job. But he made good mental notes, and he has lately started to heed them. He became more firmly grounded by imitating an Eagle.

“I had to revert to what Brian Dawkins did, how he handled the pressure from me,” Hart said. “I just basically took everything I learned from him and put it into my little repertoire: how he studied, how he sat there and listened, (how) he never talked much.

“If he corrected me, it was always one-on-one. It wasn't out loud. And that's what I respected about him. Even though we were fighting for positions, he never called me out. That shows me a sign of a true professional.”

A sign of Hart's development was seen during last Saturday's exhibition game in St. Louis. Early in the second quarter, with the Rams 25 yards from the Chargers' goal, Hart correctly diagnosed a pass play and resisted the temptation to close too quickly on receiver Torry Holt.

Recognizing that cornerback Drayton Florence had already been beaten, and refusing to fall for a pump fake by quarterback Marc Bulger, Hart held his ground on the last line of defense until he broke on the ball for an end zone interception.

Hart readily admits he might not have made such a mature play even as recently as last year. He is sufficiently encouraged by this summer to predict that he will personally pick off seven or eight passes during the regular season.

“I want to go to the Pro Bowl this year,” he said. “People look at me as 'He's 30. He can't handle it.' But really, in football years, I'm 27 or 28. I don't have a beat-up body. I'm in just as good shape as any of these guys who are 23 or 24.”

Eric Weddle is 22. If he's going to push Clinton Hart off a cliff anytime soon, he's going to need more traction.

“He's going to help this team,” Hart said of his teammate and competitor. “If he's better than me, if he makes more plays than me, play him.

“We're trying to win a ring. And I'm not so selfish to the point where I want to be out there if I'm messing up. If I'm messing up, I'll (tell) Coach, 'Look, I ain't got it today.' ”

Clinton Hart does not expect it to come to that. At the edge of the cliff, he's still king of the hill.

2. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Weddle should be the starter
    BUT not at the expense of Hart

I wish they both start and beat out McCree, i really want coverage S out there

• Like Like x 2
  3. IgorUnchained

IgorUnchained BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10

I agree. It wasnt the run that the Bolts had problems with for the past 2-3 seasons! The Bolts have had very highly rated Defenses in past years, but there were ALMOST NO turnovers in the secondary and the coverage could have been better. I think the lack of coverage safeties have been a problem for the CBs for a long time now.

I said last season that I would trade Kiel's run blocking for Jue's/Hart's coverage ability. However the S corps falls into place, I hope it ends up with the two best coverage safeties of the group as the starters.

4. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    I like that Hart has set the bar high for himself (7 or 8 INTs) :tup: but, for his sake, I hope none of them are on fourth down:icon_eek:

Some of these guys will never let him forget it:no:

5. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Hart is going to make more than a few posters CHOKE on their posts from the past. :yes:

CLINTON HART will be on the PODCAST within the next show or two so heads up. He will be the first player to come on to the Podcasts which is now ready to eclipse 100 shows.

I spoke to him on the telephone for the very first time two weeks ago.

It was a pleasure to speak with him. He was very cordial and articulate. The conversation lasted about 10 minutes and I got right into the Nuts & Bolts of the defense.

Clinton wanted to assure everyone he is putting in more GYM time than anyone and is ready this year.

I asked about the defense and this Base Cover 2 stuff which was being bantered about in the forums as the Chargers defense.

Clinton said "we will be running a lot of Cover 1 and Cover 4 this year". :tup:

My take: The Cover 2 Base stuff is pretty much fan talk and not what is happening on the field. Overzealous writers and posters come up with that crap to try and impress and it is not reality.

6. 17Rocks

Ratings:
    +135
    I don't care what cover they run:no: as long as they make some plays!!!:yes:

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I certainly do not want to see a rookie calling the secondary calls at FS. Not yet. :no:

This is why I have said to put Clinton Hart at FS and McCree and WEEDME at SS.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

Damn Trump

Thanks for the inside info

That's some good shiit!

:icon_toast: :icon_toast:

9. 17Rocks

Ratings:
    +135

trying to resurrect the Hart wars?

trumpie has already defended his boy against half of the board...we are all gonna eat our words...

oh yea, and Osgood is gonna start at WR...

10. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

welcome back L,

some missed you

:lol:

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Oh there is more :lol:

Juicy stuff. :icon_eek:

I talked to Marc who is Clinton's best amigo and he was a bit miffed that posters had annoited Weedle a starter before the first pre-season game. Put it this way, Marc was pissed :icon_eek:

I think he said something to the effect about the laptop almost flying out the window after reading a few posts. :lol: He is a cool dude. Really. The nicest guy you could meet.

I have posted photos of their posse in here and they have indeed (Clinton's wife Kelli and Marc) attended a few tailgaters since Clinton came to the Chargers. I actually saw her engagement ring and she broke the news to us at a tailgater she was getting married.

Hey but that did not stop me from prefacing the fact that we played no favorites and that the fans were harsh if Clinton sucked on the field. :yes: She was way cool about it and so was Marc. :tup: What impressed me is that Chargers family and friends could be hanging out in the players parking lot doing their own thing but they rather hang with the fans or basically us and our posse. That we took as a compliment as a tailgate group. :icon_toast:

I have been preaching and pimping Hart and posters think just because they attend the tailgaters, I will play favorites. :no: They are sorely mistaken and after waiting for a Lombardi for 40+ years, I want the best on the field. I saw what Jerry Wilson brought up live and personal and jesus aged christ I almost lost my freaking mind watching his play.

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Osgood is a witch !!!

13. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Osgood can't catch :no: run Osgood run :lol: :bolt:

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Osgood caught that hail mary off Sci-fi's foot homie. He downed the ball inside the 10 yard line.

Just have Rivers kick the ball to him !!!

Or better yet put Sci-Fi in a shotgun and let him pooch kick it to Osgood !!!

Yeah that's the ticket !! :abq2:

15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

good on you bro,

you make sure you represent us with pride.

It's damn time we got that Lombardi

I haven't felt this confident since 81

16. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Will somebody please buy Osgood a football passing machine...

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=ADMTableTopHeader vAlign=top colSpan=3>JUGS Football Machine</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#737552><TD vAlign=center noWrap colSpan=3 height=5>[​IMG][​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD class=ADMTableRow1 vAlign=top colSpan=3>5 year guarantee.

Throw up to 600 kicks or passes in an hour.

Can throw spirals or end-over-end.

Can be used in pass, punt, and kick off drills.

Throws up to 100 yard spirals.

Power source: 110-volt AC or 1000 -watt generator.

Grand Slam Sports is so sure that our price on this JUGS Pitching Machine is more competitive than any other authorized dealer that we Guarantee the best price. At the time of purchase, if you find a lower published price we will match it or beat it. This offer is not valid on closeout or discontinued items.

PLEASE CONTACT US TO ORDER AND FOR SHIPPING RATES TOLL FREE AT (866-467-0361).

</TD></TR><TR class=ADMTableRow2><TD class=ADMDivider vAlign=top colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR class=ADMTableRow2><TD class=ADMTableSideHeader width="20%">Price:</TD><TD class=ADMTableRow2 width="71%">$1,961.95</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://grandslam.interkan.net/CMAC_Catalog/index.phtml?cmd=details&prodID=M1700&track=200@212&catID=212&start=21&fID=0&sort_field=

• Like Like x 1
  17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Me too.

I feel bad for Chargers fans who never experienced the Coryell Era. Good god that was fun. John Jefferson broke it wide open with his towel waving and the town and stadium went bonkers. The sold out seats and nothing but Charger Power T-Shirts painting a stadium canvas of yellow and specks of blue as the fans....wow.....

We were badass and knew we could whoop the **** out of any team in the NFL. Last year, I got the same feeling after 25 years. :icon_toast:

18. IgorUnchained

IgorUnchained BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    :icon_toast:

Those were tough times, but even before that we werent set at safety. We havent been set at safety for a very long time. I think that if Weddle does start, it will be at SS.

Im with Trumpet on NOT having a rookie (from Wyoming :icon_banana: ) starting at FS for this team on it's Super Bowl push. We brought in McCree for a reason, Jue has shown coverage skills, and Hart...well....you heard all about him! There is NO reason to have Weddle at FS (besides his size). I have faith that either of those guys will improve on the takeaways from that position from last season, while having experience within the league/system. IF Weddle is good enough to start, put him in at SS and watch THAT POSITION improve in takeaways as well. As I said earlier, I will see a drop off in the run stopping aspect of the D if it means improved play out of the secondary.

19. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

gawd those were some good times to be Bolthead

Fuk it !!!

We're going to win so sit back and enjoy !!!!

:bolt: :bolt: :bolt:

20. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

the one thing that I worry about is the young guys that are thrown into positions that call for experience. I agree, we need experience at positions that call for play calling.

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    That is the way I feel.

After this long waiting for a trophy to call out a shot like Babe Ruth, we will win it all. :abq2:

And if this team is on its' way out the door, let's ride this team like we stole it. Party on :icon_toast:

22. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

Fuk that

The Bolts aren't going anywhere

The NFL is NOT that stupid

The motherland is a cash cow for those bastards

Everybody wants to be go there.

GOD BLESS SD !!!!!!

:abq2: :abq1: :abq2: :abq1:

23. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Clinton Hart is Stanley Richard's stunt double.

42 - 24??? Ooooohhhh... :lol:

I'm fuggin' with ya' trumpy... I hope your boy comes up big this year. :lol:

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    When I spoke to Clinton, I did tell him I expected to see him in the Pro-Bowl this year. I could feel it was going to be breakout year for the brother. Now is his time to shine. I know he will do it because the dude has the eye of the tiger in his voice. :yes: :bolt:

Go Clinton Hart and Go Chargers !!!!!! :icon_toast: :helm1: :bolt2: :football:

25. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

I Don't mean to bust your balls, but come on Weddle! :abq2: :abq1: :icon_banana: :flag:

26. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Jerry "where am I?" Wilson is the reason Santana Moss caught that long TD pass over the middle in the Jets playoff game a few years ago!

Dude was so freakin' wildly out of position that play that he wound up BEHIND both Jammer and Moss.

How the hell does a free safety, who lines up 20+ yards past his CBs, wind up behind the play?

I also saw an NFL Network replay of a Bills vs. Dolphins game from circa 2001 or something like that, earlier this year. Guess who was the Dolphins free safety? Jerry Wilson. Dude gave up long pass plays over the middle like 3 times that game, 2 of them for TDs.

:icon_evil: :unsure: :icon_mad: :mad: :glare: :angry:

:eek:wned:

27. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    :yes: :abq2: :yes: :abq2: :yes: :abq2: :flag: :bolt: :football:

For the newbies, you can add Kassim Osgood to my pimp list because the old farts who know better have disappeared who said, "my boys were not worthy". :yes:

28. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Dude, your boy was out of position badly several times tonight.

29. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Especially on that 80 yard TD. Fukkin owned.