1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

My Boy Rivera!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltsnow, Nov 9, 2009.

1. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    The way this season started out I thought,,,,,,OH CRAP, another year of supporting a failure,,,,,,but I have to admit he is starting to do what I thought he was going to do from the get go. We obviously had a serious wrinkle thrown into it when Jamal went down and it took some time to get things right (which I can't help but feel some of the players lost some umph when Jamal went down) and we aren't where we need to be but our defense is definitely on the right track. I think what I have liked the most recently is how physical our defense has been. What can you say about Weddle? The boy has been laying some serious wood.The move to Gregory seems to be paying off a bit also (but I still would like to see more of Cason).
    Keep it up Rivera, no idea what you have said to the defense to get them playing like a team to take no crap but keep it up!:icon_toast:

2. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Agreed! The Defense is really starting to click; what do you guys think about bringing some vets over from the bears in the offseason?

I am sold on his system, Weddle gets better weekly and Ellision is turning out to be a beast too. We are finally starting to impose our wills on the opposing offenses; granted it takes 3 mortals to try and match Jamals impact but I like what is a brewing. Go BOLTS! Charger BALL!

3. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I cant wait til Norv/AJ let him run the 4-3 as a base defense. We have been getting pressure out of it the past 3 games and have much better personnel for it right now

In the past 3 games, Merriman and Phillips have 9 sacks combined, many coming out of that 4 man front!

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Lose a guy like Jamal and the whole defense has to reshape itself. That takes time, especially when the replacements are new to the team or the league. The replacements are learning and Rivera is making the adjustments-the sign of a good coach.

5. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    This is true. Last year when Cottrell was let go Rivera took a bit to tweak things his way but once he did the defense responded. This year he was thrown another loop with Jamal & Bingham going down. They got a couple of big bodies and it looks as though he is finally on the right road to getting the defense back to where we should have been game 1. I still say I am impressed with how physical the D is playing.:tup:

6. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    He's switched it up with the 4-3 more than most 3-4 base defenses which is giving Merriman and Philips some good one-on-ones that they can beat and it's translated into sacks. Yes, it turns out Rivera is indeed the type of DC we needed in San Diego, one that could work with his personnel through the challenges to make an impact. The run defense is still lacking though.

7. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Yes it is but ya know something?.?.? I'll take it. Teams run to break & wear you down (just like we use to do) to preserve a win. Right now, teams aren't winning. So I would have to say that they are doing enough to get the win. With a couple of fingers crossed they WILL get better.:icon_toast:

8. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I love it when posters who like 2 weeks ago were wanting him fired, now all the sudden can't get his nuts off their chin......lol. Can't wait to see how this thread pans out.

:abq1::abq1:

9. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Ah yes.....the world of what have you done for me lately!:icon_shrug: