1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

My Final Thought on this Signing...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Feb 20, 2007.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If any Chargers fans say "they were doing back flips when they heard Norv was our HC"... I think your full of **it.

When I first hear the news I went from shocked to angry to embarrassed.
    Embarrassed because we could have had anyone with this championship calibre team!!! It’s like hiring a chimp to race a Lamborghini!!

I’ve said “he’s the worst HC in NFL history” and I’m sticking with it until I’m proven wrong.

But I can say that I’m relieved since Shelmon is staying and Cottrell is signed.
    The Rivera signing was freakin’ amazing!!!! I don’t know how we managed to get that kind of luck but I’m sure glad we did!!! :icon_toast:

We’ll have a great team of assistant coaches. So Norv won’t have to do much beside take the beatings if this plan fails!!!!

Somehow AJ might find a way to turn a pigeon into an eagle again!!:bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Norv Turner's a pretty bad hire and I'm pretty upset with the hiring myself...but "worst coach in history" is a bit much.

I can think of much worse, past Charger coaches come to mind.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TJBOLT

TJBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    i was a big Rex suporter
    but as you i wasnt that thrill with the hiring but i like the hole package and before we hired Marty i wanted Norv because of the offensive system he installed suited our personel and i wanted continuity and now we got it
    so i trust AJ and we all should

Chargers for life

4. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Well I said the only reason I would consider having Norv here was if we brought Singletary as well.

I guess I can settle for Norv, Cottrell and Rivera. We got 2 of the HC candidates.

Basically it's Cottrell and Rivera along with Pagano running the D and Norv running the O along with Ramsdell and Shelman. That's a pretty talented group of coaches.

We went from Marty, Shelman and Kurt? or Pagano to 3 veteran coordinators.

Or you can look at this way we traded Marty for Rivera and Norv.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

OK. Let me rephrase that...

If you don't have more than three years of experience as a HC... I don't consider you a HC!!!!

I don't consider Gilbride or Riley former HC's. I consider them experiments that failed!!!!

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Sam Wyche
    Norm VanBrocklin
    David Shula
    Ray Perkins
    John McKay
    Mike McCormack
    Dan Henning
    Jim Hanifan
    Dennis Erickson
    Bruce Coslet
    Dom Capers
    Marion Campbell
    Joe Bugel

All worse than Norv Turner with more than 3 years of head coaching.

7. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    This is kind of like Art Shell but backwards. Hopefully Norv is better.

With the great players he did a good job.

Without them he looked like the worst HC in the NFL.

It's all about talent, both in the coaching staff and the players

8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Don't let this be the last of it...there's still plenty'o psssinn and moaninta do!! :icon_eek: :tup:

9. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    you see, the difference there is, art shell sucked, and coached a crappy team, now if turner sucks, hes coaching an EXCELLENT team

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I wouldn't consider this psssinn and moanin. Just flat out being pissed off!

We saw alot of this when it was announced that Marty will return as well. But it doesn't make any sence to fire a winning coach and bring in a losing coach!!!

11. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    How retarded.

12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Art Shell is as dumb as a box of rocks. He brings nothing but his playing experience and his girth to being a head coach. Norv is one of the finest offensive minds in the game. Sure, neither of them has a ton of charisma, but that's about where the similarities end.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Here's a Cluepon for you...

Just because you suck **** in a phone booth, that doesn't make you a call girl!!!

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Ok, we can call it whinin if ya wanna!! :yes:

Still, whatever ya wanna call it, don't let this be the last...it's still a ways ta go til the draft!! :yes: :tup: :icon_tease:

15. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    I don't like the hiring, but then again I didn't like the McNeil and Whitehurst pick either.

16. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    dude stop being a **** Allen! who cares!

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Bah, Bah, Bah, Bah!
    Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah!
    You think Norv rules and your entitled to your opinion!

I think he sucks!
    As a Chargers fan since 79, season ticket holder, and citizen of the United States of America... it is my God given right to say “I’m disappointed!”

Get with the system!!!

18. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Don't worry, I've got your name down on the list of people who are about to get pwn3d once Norv succeeds here.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'll gladly accept being called out.

But again... did you jump for joy when you heard Norv was our new HC?

20. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    No, I said WTF.

Then I thought about it a few minutes before I went flying off the handle. I watched the press conferences, I listened to the post conference interviews, and I can honestly say I'm not upset about it. Could it have gone another way? Yes. Would I have been happier with another coach? Probably. Can I do anything about it? No.

I believe in AJ's plan and for me, right now, that's enough. He got rid of Marty, and to me, that was THE biggest hurdle this offseason in our ability to compete for a SB this season. I trust that he wouldn't make a coaching decision that would be detremental to our progress as a team seeking a Super Bowl victory.

The coaching staff we have in place today is not that different form the one we had a month ago before the great coaching purge of 2007. Norv knows our offense (since it's his), Ted knows our defense (because it's Wade's and he worked under Wade for years in Buffalo), both Norv and Ron bring SB experience, which is already more than Marty brought to the table. At least they've been there.

Give these guys a chance.

21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Cluepon, wow. You're capacity for repartee is exceeded only by your ability to whine.

It's ridiculous to pick some arbitrary number of years and say that everyone who worked as a HC for less doesn't count. A head coach is a head coach. Norv has been in two situations where no one has succeeded. The Skins and Turds sucked before he got there and sucked after he left. It's not like he took over a great team and turned them to crap. Belichick had a similarly piss poor record with the Browns before being hired by the Pats. But somehow, he managed to win three rings.

Norv deserves a chance before we condemn him. Like AJ said, this is not Washington or Oakland. AJ's going to give him the players he needs. Norv just needs to put them in position to succeed.

If Barry Switzer could win a ring in Dallas, Norv can win a ring in SD.

22. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Its Cottrells defense not Wades :yes: :tup:

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Hey Jack!!

Can you say “disappointment?”
    Plenty of posters spoke out of disappointment when Marty was suppose to return and they had a right to feel that way.

I’m NOT sold on bringing in a loser coach and I’m entitled to my opinion! Just like you choosing to be a dick head is your entitlement!

If someone was only a coach for a year or two, I don’t consider that legitimate because they should have been there to begin with.
    If you coached for 7 years and showed NO improvement... You flat out suck!!! There was plenty of time for redemption!!!

Now since he is the HC of the San Diego Chargers... I hope for the best!!!

Class dismissed... Retard!!!

24. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    My aren't we getting a little testy :icon_huh:

25. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    That has to be one of the nicest poopers I've ever seen. It's immaculate. :icon_eek:

26. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    My first response was also disappointment. But unlike you, I don't think I know more than AJ. Unlike you, I think AJ deserves the benefit of the doubt. Unlike you, I don't get all dramatic, throw the back of my hand against my forehead southern belle-style and scream, "AJ, how could you?"

After listening to Norv and Cottrell and Rivera and AJ, I can understand the move. Continuity was paramount. I'll keep my faith in AJ until he's proven wrong.

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Expressing disappointment is not being dramatic.
    Attacking posters for voicing their opinion and acting like a dick head is being dramatic!!!

Just because I disapprove of AJ's decision, that does not mean I know better than him. That's just a matter of opinion!
    If this plan works out (and I hope it does), then AJ knows better than most GMs but Norv sucks until proven wrong!