1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

my five year old nephew Payton

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AthensPhilipRiversFan, Dec 16, 2006.

1. AthensPhilipRiversFan

AthensPhilipRiversFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +331
    Hey Everybody! For those of you who have ever met my little nephew Payton, you know he's a special little boy. He was born prematurely and spent his first few months in the P.I.C.U. at Children's Hospital in Birmingham. When he was born, he only had one ear. The other ear had begun to form, then just stopped growing. All the inner ear parts are there, there is just no outer ear. His legs were twisted and one was turned backwards and to the side. He had to have a number of surgeries to correct it and wore leg braces for his first year of life. His kidneys and heart failed within hours of his birth and we were told he'd never live. Then, we were told he'd never walk or talk...or hear. He's proven all of that to be wrong. He's a fighter! He talks non-stop and walks and he can hear though it is muffled on the one side. For years, my sister and her husband have struggled with the decision of what to do about his ear. Now they finally have their answer. Payton has a great sense of humor about his non-ear and says that God just forgot to give him two of them. He's really a very sweet little boy who expresses all the time just how grateful he is to be alive. He literally says every day, "it's a beautiful day to be here" and he tells everyone he loves them over and over again all day every day.

The following information is from my sister, Tracey.

It looks like the time has finally arrived for Payton to get his "big ear". As most of you know, we have decided not to have his reconstruction done in Birmingham. In Birmingham and in most of the country they still use a rib graft to construct an ear, a process that requires several surgeries and a lot of pain, risk, and recovery time. We have opted to go to New York City to Dr. Thomas Romo for a procedure that only requires two surgeries and uses a synthetic framework for reconstruction. Dr. Romo is one of only two doctors in this country who does this and has had tremendous success with it over the past 15 years. He also has a charitable organization called the Little Babyface Foundation which assists children with congenital facial defects in getting the plastic surgeries they need. Our insurance is covering a great deal of the surgery cost and we are very grateful to Little Babyface for covering the cost of mine and Payton's travel and our hotel stay in Manhattan. Payton will also be getting a BAHA, a bone anchored hearing aid as part of this surgical process. He hears okay already, but the BAHA will give him hearing on both sides and will make life easier for him.

We will be flying to New York on January 10th. Payton's surgery is scheduled for January 12th at Lenox Hill Hospital in Manhattan. He should only be hospitalized one night. We will remain in New York until January 22nd. We will be going back for the second phase around the first of April and be gone the same amount of time. Chris will be going with us also but will only be staying until the 15th because he has to get back to work. His dad is also going and will be staying with me and Payton until we come home.

Please keep Payton in your prayers. Surgery is always scary, probably more for Mom and Dad than for him! And his Aunt Teresa is going to be on pins and needles too.

If you are looking for a charity to contribute to, please consider the Little Babyface Foundation. For more information you can look it up on the net at littlebabyfacefoundation.org. For information on the surgery he will be having you can go to earreconstruction.com.

Thanks again for keeping Payton in your prayers!

Teresa

• Like Like x 1
  2. AthensPhilipRiversFan

AthensPhilipRiversFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +331
    girl...u should see him....

it's so precious. it can be the MOST dreary of days....and we'll see him and he'll say "Aunt Teesie, i'm so happy for this beautiful day to spend time with my family" or "Aunt Teesie, I'm so glad for this beautiful day for us to eat dinner together." I mean, it just kills me to hear him say it. It's like somehow in that little mind of his, he KNOWS that he is lucky to be here and be with his family and he's so grateful that he is.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I'm glad to hear about it Teresa! he sounds like an awesome kid and that sounds like a terrific foundation that is helping you guys out. My son Brendan has autism so I know it is like raising a special needs child. Payton sounds like he has a wonderful and loving supportive family around him. He's a lucky boy and you're all lucky to have him around.:icon_smile: