1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

My iPod just died

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thumper, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    This pisses me off. It's an iPod classic 160GB and it's only 6 months old. :icon_evil:

I'm trying a complete wipe and restore. Hope this works or I'm gonna be really pissed.

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    OK, so far so good. It's syncing the songs right now. I have about 30k songs in itunes, so it'll take a while. Got my fingers crossed that this is going to work.

3. Game123

Game123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +97
    I like my Sansa best. If it takes a crap, I'll just throw it away. At $100, its disposable. I have an external drive filled with all my songs, pics, and vids. Now if THAT takes a crap...:no:

4. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I have Tune Tools for iPod as a back up.

I'm on my 3rd. ipod 30gb. If it die's again, Best Buy will give me a new one.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    i've had an 80gb i got from best buy for three years now, still works great

6. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I love my little iPod Shuffle........someday I'll graduate to a bigger one, I hope!

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Dude, something similar happened to my 8 month old 160gb classic too.

I was transferring some tracks to it and for some reason it just shut off. Saw the apple symbol on the screen for a few seconds, but NOTHING was on it. I didn't have that much on it, around 2500 tracks.

Transferred everything back. Then I noticed a ! next to one of the tracks while using iTunes. Removed it, re-copied it and so far it's been working fine.

Hope yours works well after transfer.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    maybe then i shouldn't be considering getting one......that worries me

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    sorry I never reported back, but after I did a complete restore, it took a while to get everything back on my iPod because I have so much stuff. right now I have about 200 to 250 TV episodes, about 20 movies, 3 chargers games, and about 30k songs. And I still have room on this thing. I thought about getting the 16GB touch, but I like having everything with me. especially when I'm traveling.

Anyways, after the restore and reloading all my stuff, it's worked perfectly.

I also have an old black and white click wheel iPod 40GB that still works fine. I got the sad face on it once and it was making some clicking noises, so I whacked it good, then restarted it. It's worked fine ever since. I think I'm going to give that one to my mom.

10. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    dude i'd love to have ALL THAT with me, though i love my 60gb

11. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    How do you get Charger games on your iPod? Id like to do that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I have TiVo and if you get the paid version of the TiVo desktop software it has a utility that will take any show recorded on my TiVo and convert it to iPod format. It even automatically sets it up in iTunes so the next time I sync my iPod the shows I selected are automatically put on my iPod.

13. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
  14. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I would love to have that...I am having all sorts of problems with my iPod and iTunes...never had a problem before the last couple of weeks...I have the 80 gb video. I wish Apple would drop the price on the iPod touch as they did with the iPhone.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I just saw SAMSUNG 1GB mp3 player for $39 with a $30 rebate. These things are getting cheap.

16. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Yeah, O'Reilly said they were going to drop them $100 after the 32 GB came out.
    So the 16 gb was going to be $299 and the 32 was going to be $399...what the hell happened to that?:icon_shrug:

I have the 16 GB touch but all i have on it now is about 1,030 songs. I havent been able to figure out how to get video on it.

17. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Good stuff. Ill look into that. I have a DirecTV HDVR in my room which i record the games on. Will it work for that?

I DO have a Tivo, but it is connected in the other room which doesnt have HD.

18. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I don't think it'll work with the DirectTV DRV. It's a TiVo only function and you need to download the TiVo desktop software from TiVo.com. You'll also have to pay their small fee for the full verson soyou can save to the iPod.

19. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Just downloaded the free version to see if it will work. If it does i will get the paid version. My Tivo still has some older games on it but if this works, ill record new games on it this season.

I will also try to see if it will work with my DTV HDDVR , but im not expecting it to.
    Thanks for the tips...ive been trying to find a way to get video from my Tivo for a long time without hacking it.

I may have to see how much a Tivo HDDVR is if this is a success. Can i go back in re-insewrt a different media key if i do get a Tivo HDDVR if i already downloaded it and used a key from my other Tivo?

20. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I think you can, but I'm not sure. You might check the TiVo support forums.

21. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    The newer (non-Tivo)DirecTV HD DVR will not work this way. If you head over to dbstalk.com and check out the "cutting edge" forums, you might be able to download some software that will allow you to access content on the DVR from your PC. You'll most likey have to install some sort of beta firmware on your DVR first.

22. y2craig

y2craig BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    I have the 8G as well and since last year. Some of those new apps are great for sports or the cheesy games. The free stuff is nice! Plus the wireless internet access and receiving e-mail and the other apps makes it a solid device.

My one gripe is that I had a tough time updating the firmware to 2.1 and the previous versions as it would get the very end and give me an error. I can download a South Park episode without a problem. It must be my computer as I used my other notebook to download the latest firmware ... bingo.

My first one bit the dust earlier in the year [would not connect to the internet - unable to detect any signals] and returned it to Best Buy and they replaced it easily.