1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

My latest: 3-26-10

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by coachmarkos, Mar 26, 2010.

1. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    1. Devin McCourty CB Rutgers
    2. Jonathon Dwyer RB Georgia Tech
    3. Linval Joseph DT East Carolina
    4. Eric Olsen C Notre Dame
    5a. Joique Bell RB Wayne State
    5b. Andrew Quarless TE Penn State
    7. Sean Canfield QB Oregon State

Alright. Deride if you want. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    Not bad, I do like the McCourty pick @ 28, I'd rather have Gerhart, Tate or Blount over Dwyer though.. Oh and I am not sure how well Joseph would do @ NT, I see him more as a 5T. IF Troup is there that would be a steal in the 3rd.

This draft is complicated because there are only 2 (IMO) true NT's worth taking in the first two rounds. With a few teams like the Bills and Skins going to a 3-4 it really makes it tough to get a NT. I am not a fan of Cam Thomas, so if Cody and Williams are their @ 28 I feel like we have to take one.

I could also see us going with Best @ 40 if he's there then drafting Scott or Dixon in the 4th-5th. Best doesn't seem to "fit our scheme" but that guy is a bad man. If he stays healthy he's going to be a great NFL RB.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Not bad, but far too much offense for my taste. Cody would replace Dwyer, Spikes if he drops would replace Joseph. If not, then probably Koa Misi or Jason Worilds. Joseph as a 5Tech over Olsen. Bell I like. I'd take Skelton at 5b if available & LaMarcus Coker at 7, especially if Sproles is gone.

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    For real, if our draft looks like that I'll be crying myself to sleep on April 24th.:icon_tease:

McCourty - Luxury pick....we have far bigger needs than nickle corner, we might as well spend our 1st round pick on a guy with a chance to play considering we're trying to win a Super Bowl NOW.
    Cody - High bust potential, albeit does fill a need....I can live with this.
    Spikes - Extremely high bust potential, doesn't fill an immediate need, wouldn't touch the field in 2010.
    Worilds - Better athlete than a football player, injury riddled, kind of a project.
    Bell - Just a guy, not fast enough to be a gamebreaker, not big enough to be a pounder and move the chains. Would never trust him to take the reigns in 2010, ESPESCIALLY if we lose Sproles.
    Skelton- is one hell of a QB project, wouldn't take him in the 5th, 7th for sure if he's there.
    And Coker....not going there again

I can accept Cody, and see some future in Worilds....but this draft doesn't make a us a better team for at least another 3yrs.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The change that makes us better is a new FO. :yes:

Get ready for the 2012 LA Chargers post-lockout.

But that's another chapter. If AJ knew how to win a championship we would all be reveling in our post-revisionist championship glory, much like the Raiders.

Truth hurts, doesn't it? :icon_evil:

6. JUGGERNAUT

JUGGERNAUT BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    I don't necessarily hate the McCourty pick....

Dwyer can't catch and played in a goofy offense, so he might even slip to round three.

i like joseph, but he's been trying to cut weight so he can play 5-technique.

eric olsen? eh. whatever.

joique bell is gartrell johnson, but less proven since he's d-II. i'd rather take a faster unknown RB like that deji karim feller.

i don't mind the last two picks.

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Let me just say, McCourty is a completely wasted 1st round pick if Cason pans out. Jammer will be around for another few years, Strickland is an ideal fit for the nickle, and personally I think Gregory did a fantastic job last year.

With our holes at RB and NT right now, we can wait till next year to address corner with such a high pick.

8. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Agreed. Corner can wait a year

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Well its a non issue completely if we're bringing in Nathan Vasher...as is reported.

10. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    You might as well get used to it, if your first pick doesn't say RYAN MATTHEWS, Matilack, and Szarmes aren't going to like it....:icon_tease:

11. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    Agreed. It only took took days to blow this one out of the water!
    :lol:

Vasher is a good pickup, and no need for a corner to be picked up, really at all.

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    It was 1 week after my mock that we traded Whitehurst, it throws a real wrench in the entire thing.:lol:

Lucky he chose Seattle and not Arizona, we'd have only gotten a late 3rd rounder.:yes:

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I'll admit, if we don't draft Mathews or Best in the 1st round I'm going to be dissapointed on draft day.:lol: Unless by some fluke a big time player like Dan Williams, CJ Spiller, Brandon Graham, or Earl Thomas falls to us.

14. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    :tup:

15. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I'd have a joygasm

:lama

16. JUGGERNAUT

JUGGERNAUT BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    He'll provide veteran depth going into camp, but I am not sure he gives the Chargers much more than that. I mean, have you seen him play the last few years? I only watched a couple of Bears games last year, but he was torched in every one.

The Bears cut him because he sucked and because he was scheduled to make 2.5 mil or something.

I don't think you were far off in selecting McCourty in the first. There is plenty of precedent. Chargers had Cro and Jammer, yet they selected Cason. Now they have Jammer and Cason, why not McCourty if he is BPA? I am not saying its the right move, but it is something AJ would do.

17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I didn't select McCourty.:lol: I think you meant to direct this at the OP.

I think its something AJ would do if we didn't have any major holes. The last few years we've been in a position where we could take the best player available looking toward the future, but right now any RB we take is likely going to be the starter day 1.

18. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Personally if they cut Gregory, id be happy. I do not think they will pick a CB high now , or maybe not at all with Vasher coming on board but Strickland is a 9 year vet and McCourty is also a ST's demon so he adds a lot more than just being a CB.

Just saying.....CB wont be a priority now.

19. JUGGERNAUT

JUGGERNAUT BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    yeah. whoops. but you get my drift.

smith has done it before and can do it again. to say the chargers have not had holes before is horsepoop. safeties, inside linebackers, and the right side of the line have been issues. AJ smith has been okay with playing mediocre guys. maybe he's okay with mediocre runningbacks and nosetackles cuz he's all about corners.

20. JUGGERNAUT

JUGGERNAUT BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    itd be nice to get a CB. Vasher SUUUUCKS. Anyone catch a Bears game last year? He was TOAST. Zach Bowman went down and Vasher couldn't stop doodoo.

21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    It was obvious that AJ wanted to cut LT last year. I have a hunch that he's itching to get a legitimate RB to take some pressure off the golden boy he hung his carrer on, Philip Rivers.

Honestly I'd be shocked if Spiller, Mathews, and Best arn't targets 1, 2, and 3 on his board. And these interviews with Dwyer, Gerhart, and Tate are just him covering all his bases.

22. JUGGERNAUT

JUGGERNAUT BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    i'm just tryin not to get myself locked into one guy in the first round because we never know who the hell AJ will select. Watch, we're all going to be wrong when he picks Maurkice pouncey or someone equally as mind-boggling.

23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Every time I re-evaluate the draft board and try to guess how he could surprise us. This year the shocker picks could be.....OT Rodger Saffold, S Taylor Mays, CB Devin McCourty, DE Jared Odrick, TE Jermaine Gresham (based on Gates' expiring contract), or maybe even a move up to get CJ Spiller.

Otherwise I always come full circle, I think Mathews, Best, or Cody will be holding a Charger uniform on April 22nd.

24. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +121
    id love to have taylor mays

25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I have 2 major issues with the way he plays.
    1. He always goes for the big hit, he trys to blast players with his shoulder and never wraps up. Which has been a chronic problem with the Chargers since Wade Phillips left.
    2. He is painfully limited in coverage. He's big and fast...but he's not quick at all.

Maybe he can turn into a Rodney Harrison clone, but I see more Roy Williams. And I think the irony of him taking Ellison's job AGAIN is too much for me. LOL

26. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    OK, so I'll update mine.

I'm currently clueless as to what we'll do at #28...
    Cody? maybe too high, but we won't get him at 40.
    Best? same thing.
    I don't see us going o-line, even if Pouncey was available.
    Safety? Mays, but I doubt it.
    OLB?-between Graham, Hughes, and Kindle one should be available, most likely Hughes.
    ILB? too high for Spikes. Daryl Washington? maybe, but again too high. Corner? McCourty will most likely be there, but not much need with the Vasher signing.
    DE? Odrick is possible.

So here we go.
    1. Jahvid Best RB California - talent is unquestionable. Injury concerns, but not work ethic, motivation, character, etc... He won't need to be a fulltime back...he and Sproles split the backfield time 50/50 Tolbert/Hester play the short yardage role.
    2. Tyson Alau DE California - D-line help. I think Cody is gone, and too high for Cam Thomas.
    3. Dorin Dickerson TE Pittsburgh - matchup nightmare. We know Norv loves these kind of players.
    4. Pat Angerer MLB Iowa I think nearly every MLB on our roster is on the last year of their contract. Almost went with Dillard from Nebraska here.
    5a. Al Woods DT LSU Maybe a round early, but we don't have a 6th, and this is AJ's mandatory LSU guy.
    5b. Danny Batten OLB South Dakota State - Rush Backer. I originally had him going to us in the 7th, but he's grading out at a round 5-6 grade. I love this kid, I love his motor, love everything about him.
    7. Sean Canfield QB Oregon State we get our developmental guy right here.

Odds that we draft two Cal players in the first two rounds? Slim to none.

But, that's what I came up with today.

27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    BTW- AJ met with Devin McCourty today.....ensuring that we won't take him on draft day.:lol:

28. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    1. Terrence Cody. NT Alabama- we all know we need d line help and jamal left a BIG hole to fill y not get someone even bigger to fill that hole
    2. Ben Tate RB Auburn-2nd most complete back with hands can you say dangerous
    2-"san diego has traded Darren sproles to the doplhins for the 43rd pick and the 110th pick" SEAN LEE ILB PENN STATE - we need help here we know it
    3. Dorin Dickerson TE Pittsburgh - matchup nightmare. We know Norv loves these kind of players.
    4.Kevin thomas CB Southern Cal-alil depth and give cason alil push
    4(from dolphins)Kam Chancellor FS Virgina tech-could push weddle out this kid is a beast
    5a. Charles Scott Rb Lsu- AJ loves his lsu guys
    5b. Hall Davis DE LA-LAfayette- anyone can be a upgrade from cesaire
    7.Jevan Sneed QB Mississippi- just a 3rd string qb to take the place of charlie whitehurst could possiblely be trade bate in the future lol

UDFA
    Thomas Austin OG Clemson- Beefin up the line he was one the top OG till he went down with a hurt knee hes a jewel if we pick him up

Eric Cook OG new mexico- Still beefin up the line could give us postive back up

Casey Knips OT south dakota state- just more beef to help

Trindon Holliday wr Lsu- aj will love this lsu guy hes a sproles in the makin 5 ft 5 inches ran in the 4.2 low 4.3 return guy thats it but he could be a screen guy to :)

Stephen Williams WR Toledo- 6 ft 5 another big receiver give rivers another target

yea i kno this is a hard draft to comphrehend but this would be a good draft and its plausable

29. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34

I'll tell you what, that beats the hell outta your other draft that had us taking Suh :icon_tease:

30. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    haha i know the other draft was my dream draft, lol i mean id kill for suh on our line