1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

My thoughts on the Chargers vs Rams game.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LV Bolt Fan, Aug 16, 2008.

1. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Tollbert and Applewhite make the team. :yes:

Thank GOD! Billy Volek is the backup QB. :yes:
    The Chargers should trade Whitey for Gradkowski?

Wilhelm had better remember how to tackle.

Leonard Little ate Clary for lunch!

Other than that, what a boring game. :icon_party:

2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    thanks for any insight. I couldn't get the game so I was wondering what happened.

3. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942

I did not like that at all. :no:

4. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +247
    A good game for talent evaluators, not so much for for fans of really exciting football...but hey, it's pre-season!

If Tolbert can pick up blitzes in addition to everything else he does, I would take him over Pinnock. Nice pick and moves with the ball by Cason and a nice (gift) pick by Gordon, who is defiinitely in a fight for a roster spot.

If Clary starts for us we may have to help him out with a back or tight end until he can hold his own against guys like Little.

Next Monday night's game against Seattle will be the best pre-season look we get at the "real" Chargers. It is at home, on grass and we should see the majority of our starters for the first half and maybe the first one or two series of the second half.

The key thing from tonight: the only injuries I am aware of is that Sproles is going to have a sore knee for a couple of days because it looked like he went knee to knee with a Rams cover guy. Mruczkowski limped off the field late in the game. Has anyone heard an update...it didn't look too bad, but then again I am not a doctor and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night either.

Go Chargers!

:flag:

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    Cason and Gordon looked good in their start
    Sci-Fi if he doesn't go to the pro-bowl this year, then its BS
    Jyles Tucker might be a future star
    Applewhite is really coming on strong
    Bingham isn't a nose tackle and McKinney isn't looking impressive
    Clary got smoked by Little, lots of tackles do, but he's gotta be better
    Newberry is not looking good at all - I'm starting to get concerned
    Clark and Pape looked pretty good
    Dear Osgood, see today as reason we don't throw the damn ball to you
    We got spoiled by michael turner - hester's a good short yardage back but nothing more

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Damn it's preseason, sure we'd like to win em all but guy's need to develop.

7. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Wilhelm is really starting to resemble Donnie... makes the tackles (or not) 7 yrds downfield.... :tdown:

8. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    i friggin knew clary was going to be a problem HE'S NOT A STARTER CALIBUR PLAYER, jeez:banghead::banghead: I really liked cason's int. very very cro like return , maybe not as fast but very good, if that dude didn't grab his jersey he would of been gono

9. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    what was clarey doing wrong. I couldn't see the game. Was he not holding the edge or was he getting pushed around or faked out with spin moves.

10. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    He flat out sucked. :yes:

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Most right tackles succk thats why they play right tackle. But what was he doing wrong.

From what I've read from others our o-line was not on the same page for alot of the game. Gotta work on that. Obviously.

To win the super bowl we've got to have the o-line working right and strong. Otherwise were gonna have trouble.

12. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +401
    Agree on all except i think Tolbert goes to the PS.

Whitehurst just stinks. Yeah Osgood flubbed one but that was one pass. Whitey sucked on the others.

Derek Smith sucks too

A lot of starters not playing so our run defense hopefully gets better.

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Whtey is better than Volek. Volek cant sustain a drive to save his life.:tdown:

14. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Whitey can't get one started! Seriously Kassim
    Osgood was covered pretty well twice and he still threw it in his direction. (Mistake 1-Osgood can't catch very many NFL caliber throws, mistake 2- the Defense was on INT mode and using Osgood as bait). Then he led a reciever or two a little too much but in football that's the difference between a catch and a dropped ball. And he failed to deliver simple screen passes. Whitehurst is not the future of this organization. Rivers and Volek played a thousand times better in their preseason games. I say he's got two more chances to prove he belongs - the next two preseason games.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    two words conc, two words - Colt Slayer.

16. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Wow our back ups looked like **** Today even both QB's but our offensive line looked like **** pie too. Get ride of Pinnock, Whitey, Gregory, Clary, Mzorickdfswfz, Pope

17. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +1,017
    Foobs he was going against Leonard Little who looks like he is healthy again and has returned to 2006 form - (he had 13 sacks that year) - the man has 75 career sacks and over 300 career tackles. He had 1 sack tonight against a QB that didn't/couldn't step up in the pocket. Bottom line is that Clary wasn't all that bad in pass protection and his drive blocking is getting better. I wouldn't give up on him quite yet. Right now I am far more concerned with the center position and getting Nick healthy myself. On the other side I think we sorely missed Marcus McNeill - particularly on the run.

18. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Good Call Dave. The lack of McNeil made running the running game a lot worse. The O-line as whole sucked without the stars. Goff was holding the line up and he definitely couldn't do that. Possibly, Clary should stay in there for practice squad and get roughed up by guys like Phillips and Merriman to get better at RT. We need a better center! Newberry just isn't cutting it. Defensively, the DBs are phenominal. Is it too early to call it the best secondary in the league? The 'backers can't get anything done because the D-line sucked. When the defensive line is good (no doubt it will be with Castillo & Olshansky) so are the linebackers. Whitehurst is on thin ice in my book.

19. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Both lines looked horrible. The second/third string line with Grennan, Divens, Mckinney, and Jackson looked better than the line that started the game. Watching Bingham, Smith, and Wilhelm man the middle of the defense almost made me barf. Even though it's only preseason, the offensive line needs to do more than it did today. Very little push up the middle, and waaaay too much pressure on the quarterbacks. Good call by Norv in keeping Rivers out.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    COLT SLAYER? You best check the facts on that. 3 completions, 4 attempts for 48 yards and you proclaim him Colt Slayer?!

Your easy.

Sproles is a Colt Slayer... Volek... Not so much...

In 2007 Volek had 6 completions in 14 attempts... WOW! I can see why everyone is all twitterpated by this accurate slinger... What ever was I thinking... Oh yeah! He is a drive killer!

His arm strength is marginal, his passes have zero zip, and he misses receivers that are open.

There is a reason when he comes into a game the coaches call more running plays...

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Whitey is able to hit receivers Volek flat out misses. He has more arm strength than Volek.

Neither backup is the future of the organization, that is why they are backups. Whitey is stronger and younger than Volek. If Rivers goes down though, I have zero confidence either backup will provide us with a win.

That said, I have more confidence in Whitey than Volek.

22. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Seems a bit premature to make that statement about Hester. I think we've only seen flashes of what Hester can do for us in a very vanilla offense. How about Hester coming in after defenses see a bit of LT? Late in the 4th quarter to grind out a game? Split back with LT? Lead blocking for LT? Receiving out of the backfield?

23. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +441
    I only saw the highlights on nfl.com but it sure looked like some were not too interested in making tackles from the ILB position. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. I really thought Wilhelm and Cooper were going to be there together for years. Looks like one of em could be gone before long.

Loved the picks though. And a sighting of LEGS wahoooooooo!.

24. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    It's really hard to judge young QB's until they are actually put under the spotlight. Did the Browns really know what they had with Derek Anderson? It takes more than backup reps and practice to develop into a starting caliber QB. Working with 1st string offenses might also help.

25. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    It was equally premature when everyone was creaming over him after the first preseason game. In reality what we're going to get will probably be somewhere in the middle. He will be a good short yardage guy and give us some additional options in the blocking & passing game.

But I very much agree that we were spoiled by MT and he is a step above Hester or Sproles or any of the guys currently in our backfield (except LT of course)

26. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Oh my God, I almost agree with poof! :lol:

But I was thinking more of the defensive guys than the offensive guys. Even with our backups in and mediocre play from the o-line we still managed to drive the ball in the first quarter (though StL penalties didn't hurt).

But our backup d-line was joke. They were definitely going against first string and pro-bowl caliber o-linemen, but to say they got owned would be an understatement.

I really hope we do everything possible to spare J Williams this year. He is so key to the success of our 3-4 that we need to keep him OFF the field whenever we possibly can. 3rd and long, and ANY situation where we can be reasonably certain the other team isn't running the ball I want Mal on the sidelines where his knees are safe. It's a long ****ing season and we NEED the big guy come the post season.

Also Smith and Wilhelm were getting dragged around on open field tackles rather than driving the offensive players back.

I'm not going to say "cut Pinnock" yet, because the guy hasn't been able to play for us to see him flourish or flounder. But I have been totally satisfied with Tolbert's performance so far and if he stays healthy and keeps working I could see him stealing Pinnock's roster spot.

27. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    dobbins impressed me, so did applewhite. hester is very good and so is tolbert, i think whitehurst didn't have enough time to throw thats why he sucked but c'mon guys he's a 3 spot qb he's obviously not going on a 83 yard drives for tds. Waters and Silers didn't impress as much as i thought, i'd think that with there size in strength they'd destroy one of the st louis rbs., ive noticed that carlos polk is a monster on special teams. thats pretty much it.

28. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word

29. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    He's the king of overstatement.

30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,609
    After watching this game.......I'm more confident than ever that we should DRAFT ANOTHER QB.

Whitehurst SUCKS, he sucked last week, and he sucked in the pre-season last year too.

I dont want to hear anything about "starters not in the game" because all that would mean is the game was moving faster for him.