1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

My thoughts on the Chargers vs Rams game.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LV Bolt Fan, Aug 16, 2008.

1. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I don't know if saying "so-and-so flat out sucked" can be called critical analysis.

Critical analysis would be actual analysis:

"so-and-so seems to be having issues with blocking due to the patchwork nature of the OL in this preseason. We are lacking the normal cohesiveness of the OL that often exists during the regular season, and the fact that the normal starting C and LT aren't in the game, will indeed give rise to certain issues."

versus

"The dude sucks ***! He couldn't block a paper bag. Cut him!"

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Nice!! :tup:

Again, realizing it is, as Conc pointed out, preseason.

3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Five penalties for 30 yards ain't too shabby!! :tup:

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Say, where the hell is Rip?? :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Agreed. And there's a sliding scale on both sides. Not everyone is going to see a missed assignment and know to call the right guy out for it. But everyone knows when there are defenders in the backfield and opposing RBs in the secondary. And a statement that starts with "All you dickweeds" doesn't seem to discriminate between those that analyze and those that talk smack.

It's only natural that passionate fans are going to have strong feelings, and we all have varying degrees of football understanding and communication skills. Personally, the only thing I'm worried about is being healthy in the post season.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I just take preseason and everything I see in it with a grain of salt.

People are whining and *****ing about yesterday's game.

How many starters were kept out on our side?

Pretty much makes any analysis kind of worthless since most of these players won't even see the field unless there is injury or we are ahead by a bunch in the 4th quarter.

Now, if we had all our starters in (including Hardwick and McNeill), with the exception of L.T. who normally sits out, and such things were happening, then yeah, that would be worrisome.

More than likely, Norv just used this as a "throwaway" preseason game, and was just trying various OL setups and situations out to see how well they worked.

The 3rd preseason game is where the REAL analysis of the team can actually begin.

7. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Which offensive lineman started? Who was missing? At least three of the guys on last nights line will be starting opening day. Two won't fix 5... This is going to be a weak spot unless someone steps the hell up.

Lets face it guys, our OL looked like A$$ last week and this week. We go as our lines go.

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Leonard Little had the same type of performance versus the Chargers in last year's preseason game, the one where San Diego won 30-13.

In fact Chargers QBs were sacked and harassed about as much last year's game as they were this one.

In addition, we had about the same amount of rushing yards and carries as last year.

The fact that this time, it was mostly our backups versus their 1st string players for the first half and we gave up fewer points than last year.

The lack of scoring for us versus last year? Once again, our backups versus their first string.

Last year, Rivers, Gates, and VJ played most of the first half and we jumped out to a 14-3 lead. In addition, all 5 OL starters were playing last year.

9. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 New Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I would disagree with this statement. Cohesiveness of a unit can not be understated. The O-line, more than maybe anywhere else except maybe pass coverage on Defense, has to work as a unit. If one or two pieces don't fit to well the whole unit can look like crap.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398
    :lol: Yeah, right

• Like Like x 1
  11. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398
    Actually even he said he didnt like to see those gapping holes the opposing RB's had to run thru.

I know we had a lot of startrs out but man it would have been nice to se at least a decent effort from Derek Smith. He IS going to start for at least 4 weeks...if he isnt cut first :lol:

12. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +1,007
    Thank you Sluggo - at least this time the injuries appear to be down from last year. Disappointed with the tackling but our 2nd and 3rd stringers got in a TON of work - Coaches will be busy this week asking who really wants to earn a job here. :)

All in all, I think Norv got EXACTLY what he wanted out of this game. There will be many more starters on the field for the next one and we will see the young'uns frantically trying to avoid the turk on special teams and in the latter part of the 3rd/4th quarters.

13. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Bull****ingshit

Id like to see any QB succeed while having to throw to Kassim and some undrafted rookies

But let me ask you, if Volek is so great, how did we only score 6 points even though he got the ball past the 50 twice off INTs??

Volek is crap and we probably couldnt even collect the 6th round pick we gave up for him if we tried to trade him, thats why teams with NO QBs like Minn and Mia passed on him to sign guys like Gus Feurotte and Josh McCown

• Like Like x 2
  14. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Thank you, atleast some people get it

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I knew you wouldn't disappoint!! :icon_toast: :icon_rofl:

16. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    So, are you saying my analysis of Clary vs Little was wrong?
    :icon_rofl:

17. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432

Volek is a proven BACK UP Qb in the NFL. That is a FACT!

Charlie Whitehorse (yes, I spelt it that way) has proven....****! :no:

I don't care what another NFL team would or wouldn't give the Chargers in a trade. Volek was the Backup that beat the Colts, not Whitey! :yes:

How many offers were there for Whitehorse? Bring me a fact!

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I don't think that it's panicking or over-reacting to say that Derek Smith looks like a wasted roster spot at this point. We have guys who could do as well already on the roster & younger. Clary is our 1st string RT - & he got schooled by Little.

Fully aware that it's pre-season & that most of our starters didn't play, but we have a right to evaluate what we see just as the coaches are doing. It's not like what we say here makes a freakin' difference - it's for our enjoyment.

So here's my critical analysis of Derek Smith - he sucks. Wilhelm looked out place & didn't tackle well. Neither backup QB looked inspiring. Our backup DLs didn't play well & our OL didn't look at all cohesive.

Better? :icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  19. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Nah, still too much of a whine.

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Don't worry - I'm having cheese to go with it. :icon_tease:

21. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Lets see, Volek was backup to Star QB, that QB gets hurt, and what happens? VOlek lets them to 3 wins in 10 games, so that team decides to draft a QB in the top 3 picks, then trades him for a low pick.
    Then he backs up a star again, and again he gets hurt, and volek comes in completes 3 easy, perfectly times plays and all of a sudden he becomes a star in SD, but what happens to him when he hits the open market and what happens? He gets to watch QB hungry teams pass on him and sign scrubs and teams with no backups sign ****** guys.
    Obviously NFL GMs realize how ****** he is and would rather have Cleo Lemon, Gus Fuerrotte, an Joey harrington than him

While he was looking for a job, did AJ call any QBs? Nope, he knew he has his backup already in house and thats why he spent a 3rd rounder on him

All VOlek has ever proven is that he is unwanted, that goes for GMs and every fan who was at the Q last year that had to watch him (ive never seen a player get boo'd that much or seen a stadium empty faster than when he was in)

Give Whitey practice time with the #1s and 2s and he WILL outplay Volek every time

22. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    So, once again, I'm right!
    :yes:

You still can't give me any fact's except for your opinion. :no:

BTW, I was at the Q all of last season. I also was in Green Bay and in Indy for the playoff game. Not once, did I hear anyone call for Whitehorse over Volek!

Nice Try!
    :icon_rofl:

23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I knew you would :tup:

24. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272

I agree with everything on this except the part about Whitey outplaying Volek, and that's only because Charlie hasn't done anything himself to inspire confidence. There's something about him that reminds my of Billy Joe Tolliver... great arm, throws a pretty pass and looks good when he's accurate, but also overthrows guys and is generally inconsistent. You might be right that he would look much better given some time with the ones, but I just haven't seen enough to make me confident of that.

I do think Volek is valuable simply because he's a veteran and he won't come in and completely suck, but I also agree that he's getting way too many props for his one drive against the Colts. People forget he also got a little lucky with a penalty that extended that drive. On the other hand, I'd rather have Volek than about 20 other backups in the NFL. Charlie's obviously doing something wrong if he can't wrest the role from a guy as average as Volek.

25. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    The coaching staff will also be factoring-in about fifty practice-efforts along with the little bit we see of the players in preseason games. Norv himself said the value of preseason games is pretty much limited to ironing-out communication problems and studying whether young players are doing the same things under the lights that they have been doing in practices. But I don't have any illusions that any of our starters are giving even close to maximum effort. With Norv's focus on staying healthy I'm sure that translates to all the veterans who are comfortable with their spots.

The Chargers thusfar have looked to me like a team going through the motions, at least the veterans have, and just trying to get out of these stupid preseason games as quick as possible.

I would like to see the Chargers get the intensity-level ramped up to a high level just one time in the preseason, and that's coming due next weekend. The third preseason game is the real regular-season simulation. When you have a team with veterans who are already comfortable with the scheme and terminology, the other three games are pretty much only for young players, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I can't disagree with any of this post.

27. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    We know who our starters are and we know who our backups are. Smith WILL start; Willhelm WILL as well. Lamar divens was the only good player on the defensive line. I am confident that Olshansky, Castillo, and Divens would make a spectacular D-line if Williams was to have a problem. PR is backed up by Volek. Volek is in no way better than Rivers but Volek has proven he can finish a game if called upon. I am confeident that our second string is strong and will get the job done if asked to do so. As far as the game. It was the Rams, who aren't going to do much this year IMO, and it was preseason. The score does not matter.

28. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    well said. My only thought to it is there really is no reason to put the pedal to the medal now in preseason. Just get the timing and players organized with thier communication is all pre games should be about.

REal games are when you try and win not preseason games.

29. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192

I don't really even care that much about the third preseason game either. JUST STAY HEALTHY! Work on situational offense and defense, and keep the starters off of the field for as much time as possible.

30. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    dude give me a ****ing break! stop sniffing whithurst chonies! He sucks! I think the fumes are getting to you.