1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

my Wife's 9/11 cookie project

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheLash, Sep 10, 2008.

1. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714
    MrsLash is doing something very cool again this year in memory of 9/11. she started this a few years back as a way to reclaim the day from sorrow for her. I am very proud of her. Please take a sec to read her email below.:flag:

Following is a copy of the original letter I sent out explaining how and why I observe the anniversary of 9/11 differently now. I have been doing this for three years now and I do not intent to stop, but I do intent to encourage all to follow suit. It has been a positive experience not just for me but for my son as well and I would love others to see what it means to our Fire and Police. Thank you.

Originally written August 2007:

As we approach the end of summer, we have many things to look forward to, like Labor Day weekend and the new school year starting. However, another anniversary also looms during this time; the morning of September 11th. I have found myself, along with the rest of the nation, still feeling the burden of sadness at such loss of life through horrific and senseless acts committed against us. The cowardice and confusion had our country reeling in shock, except for the men and women of the Fire and Police departments.

They ran headfirst into the Hellfire to save complete strangers without concern for their own lives. Their actions have shown us exactly what it means to be a hero, EVERY DAY! The amazing thing about this is that there are more of these heroes everywhere around us, ready to do today the same as those before, anywhere it may happen. My appreciation and pride for these heroes has grown steadily over the years and on the fifth anniversary last year, I struck upon an idea that would help me to take back that day.

In my city, we have two fire stations and a sheriff station nearby that serves us. The weekend before 9-11, I spent a few hours in my kitchen baking milk chocolate, white chocolate and butterscotch chip cookies galore. Then, my son and I decorated the outside of disposable containers with a big "Thank You". We made one for each station.

That morning, my son and I left early for school and stopped at the first fire station. They were getting ready for memorial ceremonies and work for that day. I had my son carry in the box of cookies and say "Thank you Mr. Fireman" when presenting them. The firemen were so happy and grateful for such a direct expression, they took my son on a quick tour, gave him an honorary fireman's badge, and even let him check out the firetruck! My son was so pleased with himself, he was the envy of his classmates that day. During this, a fireman looked at me and asked me "What was this for?" so I replied "Because today of all days we just wanted to say thanks, that's all." Nothing more needed to be said, his smile and his eyes showed me all.

Encouraged by this, I went onto the sheriff station and dropped off another box for the police breakroom. Mind you these are LA cops and the shock of the surprise prompted the same question as before, "What is this for?" I replied the same way and the soft smiles of gratitude on hardened faces completely spurred me on.

My last stop was the second fire station. As I walked up, I was greeted by a very nice fireman who asked me how he could help me and for the third time I presented our box of cookies and told them thanks. This fireman was shocked, he couldn't believe that anyone would take the time, effort, and initiative to do this for them. Can you believe that? These people think nothing of running into a burning building and expect nothing in return. Upon rattling off my list of cookies, I noticed each fireman's head popping out from the various workstations (a lot like prairie dogs) each repeating the kind of cookie that had caught their attention, then dashing over to sample them. Their joy and happiness for such a simple thing as a cookie and thanks got me right then and there and it was enlightening.

It was in that moment I realized I had made a difference. I was not sad nor scared nor feeling helpless. I knew our everyday heroes would be there and now they knew how much it meant to me that they are. I decided I would continue to do this every year regardless. The empowerment of this action has brought me strength to face the craziness from that fateful day and I honestly felt it did the same for the fire and police too.

With September around the corner, I would love to encourage everyone to do something for their own local heroes. Draw a picture, send a card, write a thank you, bake cookies or a cake, collect some books, music or movies for them; it doesn't have to take a lot of time, cost a lot of money, or be a big deal to show our heroes how much we appreciate and respect what they do for all races, all religions and all classes. Please use this moment to take back the day from fear and give that attention to those who truly deserve it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and more importantly, thank you for taking the time to honor our Fire and Police this September 11th. Please feel free to forward this letter onto those who would appreciate it. Recognizing bravery instead of glorifying violence would do much to heal the world.

Christine Tury
    Rosemead, CA.US

• Like Like x 2