1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Myles Jack as an OLB

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by JohnnyX, Jan 18, 2016.

1. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Would Myles Jack as an OLB fit well in our 3-4? I ask because while he is undersized his burst and sideline to sideline speed is incredible. I think if the injury checks out TT should really consider a trade down and take Jack.

2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Haven't really watch Jack that much, but I think he would lack in counters, technique and a repertoire of pass rushing moves if he was considered to be an OLB in a 3-4.

Ideally, his best fit is in a 4-3, all 3 LB spots he could probably play.

But, he'd probably be the best RB on the team if we were to take him.

3. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    No, he would not fit our 3-4 unless he played ILB for us. We do need to upgrade over Te'o with a speedy ILB to pair with Perryman. Perryman's stoutness would compensate for any lack thereof on Jack's part. Jack's speed would compensate for Perryman's lack of top end speed. That's why the pairing would make sense. Given Jack's athleticism, I think he could make the switch to ILB.

I like the idea of Jack more than I like some of the ideas that have been floating around on this forum (Bosa, Ramsey).

• Like Like x 1
  4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Maybe (he's adequate), but both lines are higher priorities.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Jack drives me nuts, he has the athleticism of Bo Jackson and the instincts of a Luke Kuechly. The problem is where do you play him? I don't see him playing 3-4 OLB because I don't think he has the length. If I were to guess just off tape, I'd say he's probably 6'0 - 6'1, 225 pounds. Of course you could point to Von Miller who bulked up to 245 for the combine and say it worked out pretty well in that instance, but I still think Jack is smaller than Miller. (Don't trust listed height/weight)

I could see him being a fantastic ILB or OLB in a 4-3, but we don't officially run a 4-3. (I suppose we don't officially run any type of defense, it's just a mishmash) I could also see him being highly productive as an ILB in a 3-4, it would be awesome to have him next to Denzel Perryman, but we've already spent so many resources at that particular position.

Overall I would rather see picks and money spent on DL, OL, and S which are absolutely our top 3 issues, we could also use a WR. Taking a LB who has no true position, who is also coming off a knee injury is a bit hard to swallow.

If we could sign, just for example, a Cedric Thornton, Damon Harrison, and Walter Thurmond before the draft. I could live with a pick like Myles Jack, albeit I'd prefer to trade down a couple spots first. That would leave C, WR, and S for the rest of the draft.

• Like Like x 1
  6. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Didnt even need to comment really, As what was said above pretty much sums up who he is, he'd be a great cover ILB for us, but he'd be terrible at olb in a 3-4. He's suited for a 4-3 all day long, not saying he couldnt over come it, but it definitely would take a special player

7. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +375
    We just need a good DE not a great one. Our current starters have been playing at or severely below their NFL counterparts. Malik Jackson would be my free agent DL priority. Also has incentives to beat the Broncos and make them weaker.

Jack looks one of those players that break the mold and are just that great. Which is why a reasonable trade down that nets us a 2nd and 3rd or 4th would be ideal with a Jack pick. No chance guys like Bosa or Ramsey last to pick #7 or #8.

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    It's really going to get complicated.

What scheme do we run?
    Do we re-sign Barksdale?
    If so would you still take Tunsil? If not, do you have to take Tunsil?
    What of King Dunlap?
    Are we ready to move on from Te'o?
    Our only S under contract is Stuckey, and he sucky, which means we need at least 2.
    Do we spend big money on a S? Will Eric Berry hit FA?
    This draft has a bunch of good 3-4 DE prospects, why spend a mint on Jackson or Wilkerson?
    Who is our future C?
    Who is going to stretch the field at WR?
    Should we bother re-signing Ladarius Green? Given Gates will be 36.
    Do we trust that Brandon Flowers isn't going Donald Butler on us?
    Should trading down be priority #1? Or do we take a certified blue chip prospect?

Decisions to be made, and fast.

• Like Like x 1
  9. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    3-4/4-3 hybrid cause we dont know what the identity of this team is on defense lol
    i doubt it
    no character issues, telesco wont touch him
    dunalp will get another shot
    no teo fits well with perryman
    we most likely will target either jayron kearse or deon bush in later rounds
    no
    wilkerson is proven and would immediately free our lbs up on the edge
    no idea, FA or draft
    we got allen, but we do need another WR, hopfully fuller or doctson
    green will get a contract
    no flowers is gone unless he takes a pay cut
    trade down, to much to gain, no prospect to gawk over this year in the top 5

• Like Like x 1
  10. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +375
    I totally agree with this that this draft looks like a forgettable draft and if Bosa isn't there a trade down is a MUST. Jack and Ramsey or Treadwell would be wise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Watched some Jack tape, not impressed. All hype with his extreme athleticism.

• Agree Agree x 1