1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mystery no more - Gaither is history

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Dublin Bolt, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +442
    Jared Gaither released per multiple sources.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    The most disgusting thing about this whole thing is, I was reading that he immediately becomes one of the top FA's available.

The thing that is more disgusting than that? Acee now gets to say "I told you so"

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    The timing is a little random and surprising but yeah good riddance

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,617
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    I was expecting them to wait at least until April 1st, or as many were saying June 1st. But yes good riddance, (looks at depth chart) Oy vey:unsure:

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,355
    This is an interesting move. Wonder who they have under consideration.

7. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Hmm the plot thickens

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    I just read (and I take it with a grain of salt) that The Chargers requested a face to face meeting with Gaither, he failed to show up, so they cut him.

I don't think we'll ever know the real reason why he was cut today of all days. Here's to hoping we get one of these big Tackles in the 1st round

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +442
    Marty Caswell has said TT wanted a face to face but it never happened. If one was in fact scheduled and big lazy failed to show then his asz should be sued from here to kingdom come for every cent he robbed from the Bolts. No way can he possibly get away with this surely?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    Rivers wanted to meet with him to no avail. Those two might've been final straw. Clear he doesn't wanna be here so peace. Please let door hit you in the *** on way out

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +401
    Too bad he is one of those "Big Lazy" players. Got paid, and layed down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    Jacues Cesaire just tweeted his new nickname is "Oceans 11"

• Like Like x 1
  13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,355
    Also have to think that they cut him before next week's OTA's start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Nice move to camouflage their draft day intentions. ;)

15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    True, If he were to some how get hurt lifting, even if they wanted to release him I believe they couldn't. Not sure how that works exactly.

16. BoltWalt

BoltWalt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    He was truly uninspired to play NFL football, good riddance.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +295
    Good riddance.....I was tired of this under-achieving clown.
    I like the fact that McCoy ain't F'n around and is take'n out the trash. :tup:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Another reason why I blame AJ Smith for this team's downfall......

Jared Gaither is poster child for what can happen when team desperate & signs a free-agent. Chargers knew it was bad idea when they did it.

Because AJ tried to build the O-line on the cheap, he left the team dangerously exposed. It was the lack of quality depth on the offensive line that forced the Chargers to sign Gaither to that risky deal in the first place.

**** AJ and the horse he rode in on..... good riddance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304
    It will be interesting to see if Gaither can fool a fourth team. It would be grinding salt in the wound if a team signs him and actually gets him to play a whole season.

20. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +480
    so, if Lane (as well as Joeckel and Fisher) is gone by #11, what then? draft Warmack and maybe Watson in the second? give Harris another shot? give Dunlap a shot?

21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    BPA. Going OL at #11 with the 3 top tackles off the board would be largely dependent on whether the coaching staff views Jon Cooper as a center or a guard. As a center he has value at #11 (though likely if the value is still there to trade back a few picks and still target him, obviously that's preferable - the trick is to trust your board, if you have him as 15th-18th on your board because he's viewed as more of a guard than a center, you don't take him at #11... the need-nags can cry about it all they want).

If all 3 tackles are gone then there's going to be defensive talent left on the board that if we're not interested in, someone will be. At least one, more likely two, QB is going in the Top 10 - so if then 3 OT's go as well, that's going to push 1 or 2 of the top DT's down the board, one of the tweener guys (Mingo, Jordan, Jones will be there he's a only a borderline Top 15 talent), or the top safeties (Kenny Vaccaro or Jonathan Cyprien) who are likely to be coveted by a team like Dallas who would still leave us in prime position for Cooper, for Xavier Rhodes depending on how low we drop, or who honestly knows...

Both Watson and Armstead (and I believe Long and Thomas) are guys who D'Alessandris could covet - the hope is to get good value on the selection of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Thanks again AJ. Hope you and Gaither find a secluded beach somewhere and get into some serious spooning.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +480
    OK, but if the pick is a defensive player then the Chargers MUST draft a OL in the second round (assuming no miracle FA is signed), and whoever is picked Armstead, Watson, et. will probably be the starting LT.

It would be great for the defense to get a top notch DL/OLB but I want the first two picks to be a OL.

Would love Fisher or Johnson in the first and Warford, Long or Pugh in the second
    Would be OK with Warmack in the first and Armstead or Watson in the second
    Would be worried with Lotulelei and an OL in the second

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,602
    That is an insult to the great actors who were in that movie including, but not limited to, the Rat Pack

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Yeah.......hope the door don't hit 'im where the good Lord split 'im! :D

• Like Like x 1
  27. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    I wish he would have worked out. But so long, enjoy retirement.

28. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +164
    What a joke Gaither's pro career turned out to be... he's set for life and he really only played "well" for half a season (2011). I guess the big slug will be laughing all the way to the bank while cashing the checks the Charger owe him... thanks a lot AJ.

Yeah, I know hindsight is 20/20...

29. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Even Marcellus Wiley had 2 good seasons...

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Gaither duped Chargers, who asked for it
    By Kevin Acee
    5:21 P.M.
    MARCH 27, 2013

Jared Gaither, we hardly knew you. You fraud.

Had you even been able to manage a full season before wussing out, we could have excused you, could have believed these ailments were severe enough to sideline you.

(Big Lazy, go ahead and be angry. What have I written since last August, when I first questioned your manhood, that has not been shown to be an entirely accurate assessment?)

A brief history:

Gaither was acquired off waivers on Nov. 30, 2011 and started his first game for the Chargers five days later. As a fill-in, he was absolutely amazing. Honestly, a left tackle could not have played better over five games – let alone for a guy that made those starts without the benefit of training camp or weeks or even a real chance to learn the offense’s intricacies.

Then came free agency. Gaither had not only set himself up well with that divine December audition, but he was set up by being the only starting left tackle on the market.

The Chargers brass held many meetings about giving millions to a player known during his days with the Baltimore Ravens as Big Lazy. The decision makers concluded it could blow up in their faces but that they had no choice to sign him, and they gave him a four-year, $24.5 million contract that paid Gaither $9 million (guaranteed) in the first year.

Gaither left the first practice of training camp with cramps. No, really.

He braved an entire practice the next day.

The following day, midway through the first practice in pads, he went down with “back spasms” and did not practice again until Sept. 26.

Talk began inside Chargers Park a few weeks after he left that first padded practice that Gaither maybe wasn’t trying hard enough to get back on the field. By the season opener, there was word from several sources inside the building that the Chargers medical staff doubted the severity of Gaither’s injury. There was implication from reliable sources that Gaither had shown to not be able to tolerate pain that a much smaller person -- perhaps one with ovaries -- would routinely abide.

(The reference to a woman’s pain tolerance was not meant as a slight by the people who said it, nor is it meant as such by me. We all know who’s bearing children and that the population would be much lower if men possessed birth canals. The comparison had to do with how a much smaller human, less accustomed to dealing with the bumps and bruises of football, might react to the same thing incapacitating Gaither.)

Gaither finally played Sept. 30 at Kansas City, performing pretty well for most of four quarters. He injured his groin the next week at New Orleans, missed a game, returned for two more games and was essentially finished Nov. 7 when he simply could not finish practice. The Chargers placed him on injured reserve on Nov. 23.

I guaranteed late in the season that he would never again play for the Chargers. I reiterated that promise even after Mike McCoy and Tom Telesco said everyone gets a fresh start.

Dean Spanos was never going to allow it. Teammates were not going to tolerate it. Both believe Gaither stole from them.

Professional athletes are like a wolf pack, they stick together publicly, even when they don’t like a teammate privately. In almost two decades, I have never seen anything like the disgust Chargers players expressed regarding Gaither.

Now, blaming Gaither is easy, and responsibility ultimately lies at his feet.

But to solely blame him would be to impugn incompletely.

Someone gave Gaither this contract that in Chargers history is surpassed in its failure only by the 1998 drafting of Ryan Leaf.

Gaither’s lasting effect in San Diego has become a part of A.J. Smith’s legacy. Signing Gaither to that contract joins the handling of Vincent Jackson and drafting of Larry English – and awaits the possible inductions of the Ryan Mathews and Robert Meachem moves -- in the A.J. Hall of Blame.

What Smith did in the 2012 offseason was akin to a person with a nut allergy feeling they were about to starve and gobbling down a bowl full of pistachios. His bad drafts were like Smith coming in contact with peanuts, but it was Gaither, et al, and Gaither most of all, that ultimately secured Smith’s demise.

What a disaster. At the worst possible position.

Over the past three years, the Chargers have paid a combined $21.6 million to Marcus McNeill and Gaither – to start a total of 29 games (of 48) at left tackle. (McNeill had to retire after 2011 due a chronic neck condition he had repeatedly tried to play through.)

Just five other teams paid more for their left tackle from 2010-12. All but one of those higher-priced players started more games than the McNeill-Gaither tandem. Four of those five left tackles made multiple Pro Bowls from '10-12. Three were named first-team All-Pro at least once.

Some people have taken to blaming Chargers vice president Ed McGuire for this contract. He is the guy who negotiates all deals for the team.

But McGuire does what he’s told in these instances. He was told to get a deal done.

As much as anything, Gaither is a poster child for what can happen when a team gets desperate in free agency.

They didn’t ignore the warning signs that were there due to the fact the Ravens let Gaither go for essentially the same act. What the Chargers did was blow through the warning signs.

There is plenty of blame to go around, mainly to cast upon Gaither.

Just because the Chargers wore a sign saying “rob us” doesn’t mean he had to do it.

• Like Like x 1