1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mystery no more - Gaither is history

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Dublin Bolt, Mar 27, 2013.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,600
    Did anyone read or let alone see acee's smack down of Gaither on UTSan Diego website? Holy hell you gotta see it; epic.

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,396
    Have you tried looking one post back in this thread? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    Chargers spread Jared Gaither cap hit

There was no way around it.

Jared Gaither's release would always cost the Chargers $6 million in dead money against the salary cap.

While that hasn't changed, they team exercised an option that spreads the impact over two years.

The left tackle's Wednesday release came with a June 1 designation. The provision means that for the next two-plus months, Gaither will count against the salary cap for $6.5 million, just as he would if still on the roster.

He was due a $4.5 million base salary. The other $2 million is the annual prorated portion of his $8 million signing bonus received in a four-year contract last year.

After June 1, the Chargers see immediate cap savings.

The base salary is removed from the books, meaning Gaither will cost only $2 million against the 2013 salary cap. In 2014, the remaining $4 million of Gaither's prorated bonus will count in dead money.

Gaither would have cost $6 million in dead money in 2013 without the June 1 designation.
    San Diego currently has about $7 million in salary cap space.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    Very interesting, So we have @ 11 million in cap right now (granted 4.5 won't come until after June 1st). Lets assume that 4.5 will be used for the Rookies we can still play with 7 million right now. Well played Mr. Telesco, Well Played.

5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398
    Looks like 11 million...AFTER June 1st. Instead of 6 million cap hit this year, it will be 2 mil.

Still sucks to have a 4 mil cap hit on next years payroll.

6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    Sorry my math was a bit off, Was getting ready for the Gym and was like "oh (Bleep)" tried o change it before anyone noticed:D

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,396
    The important thing, is that Telesco did what he could to minimize the impact of cleaning up someone else's mess.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +899
    I love how suddenly A.J. is the biggest idiot on the planet for signing Gaither when the overwhelming sentiment back when it happened is that we HAD to do it. But hey, when there is any opportunity to bash A.J., people will grab it.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,178
    Gaither was a gods-send when we got him. The savior, the big man to replace the big man. Well he squandered that good will, not we hate him! hates him my precious!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,396
    Except..... it WAS AJ's fault that we had no other choice but to sign him.

But hey, AJ apologists will overlook such an obvious fact. ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  12. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I am torn on this one. Gaither duped everyone. I would like to think if it was anyone else in the GM position, they would have also been duped.

Many of us were wanting him signed long term and were happy when it happened, just look at this thread.

http://bolttalk.com/threads/jared-gaither-returning-to-chargers-with-4-yr-deal.26395/

After this it went to hell in a hand-basket. I think it is easy to blame AJ but at the time were there really any signs that could point to this happening?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Acee rights a column now ... opinion pieces. I don't disagree with his take on Gaither. Tried to give him a chance, he crapped on it. Where I have a problem with Acee is, now that AJ is out, he kicks him when prior to that AJ was a golden god in his view. Also, not to defend AJ, but what sort of "businessman" let's your GM and/or cap guy just spend your money haphazardly? Plenty of blame to go around in this situation. Desperation makes for poor decisions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,600
    Well we overpaid, but signing Gaither was a necessity.

I guess we could have reached for Jonathan Martin, Cordy Glenn or Riley Reiff, but none of them seem to be future LTs.

15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    Technically he did, IF Gaither truly was the straw that broke AJ's back, You have to think Acee was in the beat writer every writer wanted to be like, The guy with the key to the city. Telesco and McCoy haven't told Acee anything, if anything is sad it has been Adam Schefter breaking all of the Chargers stories as of late, and you have to think to a reporter thats gotta be pretty embarrassing. Also I'm not sure how it works money wise but this Gaither article was his last credible article he wrote about the Chargers since the last one he wrote 2 or 3 months ago talking about how the locker room was against Gaither.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Acee was promoted prior and was no longer the beat writer last season before AJ was even fired. Once he got promoted, there was definitely a change in his tone towards AJ, so not sure how much AJ being fired really matter at that point

17. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    True, but Acee still at that point had all the info he was reporting all the happenings hours before it even was confirmed. where as now it seems as if he can't even get an interview our leak from the grounds keeper. Which leads me to believe was the reason Acee wrote about McCoy saying he's Boring and Predictable, trying to gains some sort of leverage, "you give me what I want, I'll write nice things about you"

18. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Anybody reading Marcus McNeill's tweets?

19. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    It was AJ's responsibility to build the roster. As the talent on the team diminished, so did their record. Because of his poor draft picks/moves and lack of investment in the OL we landed ourselves in a position where signing Gaither to that deal was our only option. We lost all leverage and based on Gaither's track record, leverage on the Chargers' end was the only motivating factor for that lazy piece of crap to earn his paycheck.

AJ was an *******. Sometimes that was a good thing, but mostly all that attitude did was cause problems. There was no need for a lot of the "bad blood" between our FO and players. There was no need for us to lose so many great players only to receive next to nothing in return. He created that atmosphere and it hurt the team leaving a mess behind that (hopefully) Telesco can clean up and work with. We shall see...

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Strange.

21. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Good point. I didn't look at it from this way.

22. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    It was Mcneill bored I guess, Gehlken spoke with his agent said he is not coming out of retirement.

23. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    This is true. They really had no other choice but that is also why AJ deserves what he gets because he left the OL is such shambles where we had no other choice but to gamble on Gaither.

I said before the season began last season after looking at the OL roster that AJ should be fired for have a UDFA as our backup LT and the depth for being so crappy. AJ just ignored the OL too often.

24. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +899
    Yeah, because every team except the Chargers has an extra starter level left tackle on their roster.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,396
    Seriously?........ other teams had to resort to using a UDFA rookie as their LT when their starter went down? :laugh:

Yeah, keep telling yourself that AJ did a good job with the roster. He built the O-line on the cheap, and it ended up bitting the team in the ***. The O-line had zero depth at tackle.

AJ Smith was a cancer that needed to be excised...... good riddance.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    How many had a UDFA rookie as their backup LT? Hec he was the starter most the season. His backup is also a UDFA in 2010 (Haslam) who played 5 games in his rookie year and missed the 2011 season.

How's that for depth? Bet no team can match that! :eek:
    All because AJ ignored the OL all the time while he kept drafting CB's and safeties.

In AJ's tenure here, he drafted 15 DB's. 8 of them the first three rounds. Only Weddle & Cromartie have had outstanding seasons. Cason was hit and miss so ill call him average but they didnt feel he wasn't good enough to resign. Cason only got a 1 year deal from another team.

The rest of them are:

Sammy Davis
    Terrence Keil
    Drayton Florence
    Marcus Gilchrist
    Shareese Wright

Wright and Gilchrist still have a chance to show us they are good.

27. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +899
    Antonio Gates was an UDFA, the NFL is littered with productive UDFAs. So I guess being a UDFA in and of itself doesn't necessarily = terrible.

Anyway, my original contention was that MOST EVERYBODY was onboard with signing Gaither at the time, and happy that we did when it got done. NOW, since he was a turd, everyone has forgotten that they were in favor of the move and are just using it as another excuse to pile on A.J. That's the point I was trying to make, though others have molded the conversation into other things.

28. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    Your right, everybody was at the time because AJ scewed the pooch and left them no choice.

Sent from my GS3

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,396
    Again, you keep underplaying the fact that the WHOLE REASON we HAD to sign Gaither at the time, was because AJ did a :poop: job of building the O-line, and left us with no other option.

Gaither and his agent were holding all the cards, so the Chargers had to bend over a take is in the ***. If that's you're idea of a GM doing his job, then I can't help you.

30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,600
    To be fair, McNeil and Dielman retired due to injuries in the middle of the same season, most teams don't just recover from that. And it didn't help that Norv refused to change his game plan in the slightest to accommodate the missing players, including but not limited to Vincent Jackson. Gaither must have looked like a god send after 2012, but human inability to read other people's minds as well as predict the future being what it is....;)

#CaptainHindsight