1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Naanee’s role to expand

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SanDiegoRon, Jul 7, 2008.

1. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    http://chargers.com/news/headlines/naanee-s-role.htm

[​IMG]

Naanee’s role to expand
    Monday, Jul 07, 2008
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

Legedu Naanee arrived in San Diego last spring after being drafted by the Chargers in the fifth round, he was designated as a tight end, fullback and wide receiver.

As year two of his NFL career approaches, his job title now simply says wide receiver, but coaches still expect the talented young playmaker to contribute in many different ways.

“I’m doing the receiver thing right now,” Naanee said. “We’ve talked about putting in some packages where I can do some different things. I know they want to be creative with formations and things like that. It’s just exciting to me that they want my role to be bigger than just one spot. It’s going to be fun.”

Last summer, Naanee spent time with both the wide receivers and tight ends during individual drills and attended position meetings with both groups. After wearing a tight end’s jersey number (40) in 2007, Naanee has adopted jersey number 11 this season and is listed solely as a wide receiver.

“They were trying to see where my skill sets were and what the best way to get me on the field was (last year),” Naanee said. “We’ve all got a better feel now. The name of the game is making the most of your opportunities. I hope to get a few more and I hope to make the most of them.”

Regardless of how he’s used, it appears that Naanee will be on the field more in his second professional season. During Offseason Coaching Sessions, he caught nearly everything thrown his way and has impressed the coaching staff with his grasp of the playbook.

“I think he’s got a good comfort level with what we’re asking him to do,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “Those backup receivers, they’ve got to learn three positions. He’s learned them and he’s handled it well.”

During the 2007 regular season, most of Naanee’s action came on special teams. He also caught two passes during a first-quarter touchdown drive in Minnesota. But in the Chargers’ Divisional Playoff win at Indianapolis, Naanee took advantage of his biggest opportunity of his young career and got Charger fans excited about what’s to come from the Boise State alum.

With the Bolts trailing the Colts in the fourth quarter, Naanee caught a screen pass from Billy Volek and weaved in and out of traffic for a 27-yard gain to Indianapolis’ 15-yard line. Moments later, Volek dove into the end zone for the deciding score. When asked if the play was the highlight of his rookie year, Naanee answered in the affirmative.

“I would say so just because of the magnitude of the game,” Naanee said. “That’s something you grow up dreaming about doing. It’s the fourth quarter of a playoff game, your team is driving to score and you get a chance to make a play.”

In his second NFL offseason, Naanee feels more comfortable in just about every aspect of his job.

“I’m trying to go in there and do the right thing as far as the play calls and the little adjustments that come with them,” Naanee said. “This time around, I know not just the route but also the adjustment to it and what the guy next to me is doing. Knowing all that helps a lot.

“The biggest thing is just knowing what stage of the process we’re in as far as getting ready for the season. Last year I tried to come out and impress them on the first day. You want to try hard and don’t really know the schedule or the plays. You’re trying to do so much to make that first impression. This time around, knowing what you’re in for is different.”

After a strong finish on the field last season, Naanee should see more time with the offense during his second NFL campaign, and that has the former Boise State Bronco itching for camp to start.

“Just with the way last year went, the coaches expect more from me,” Naanee said. “That’s exciting. I’m ready to step up to the task.”

*** am not surprised - with what he was doing at mini, they HAVE TO get him the ball more... he's another mismatch for the defensive secondary...

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Naanee is going to be one of those "who the hell is that" players this season. He'll be turning some heads. :yes:

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Yeah he is!!! :tup:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    which'll be immediately followed with "How the **** do you say his name?"

5. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    More 84, 11 = less 88, so :icon_toast:

6. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    The versatility on this team is crazy. Naanee can play WR, TE, and HB (maybe QB).
    Hester is a FB/RB hybrid who can catch. Manumaleuna is a TE/FB. Pinnock is a RB/FB. Gates is a TE who can split out wide like a WR. Jeremy Newberry plays every position on the line. Jeromey Clary is a T/G. LJ Shelton is a T/G. Withrow could play C/G. And thats just on offense. I don't wanna even start with guys like Weddle, Cason, Oliver, and the OLBs/DEs we have.

But Naanee has the ability to not just be versatile, but a versatile star. To tell the truth, I would've been happy if we never selected Buster Davis that one year, and took Weddle and used the picks saved for O-lineman. Naanee would've been good enough as a 3rd WR, and we still had Floyd. I guess we needed that quick, speedy kind of WR, not a power, high-rise guy like V-Jax, Floyd or Naanee. Oh well, good read

7. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    now if the o-line can get solid and strong this offense will be unstoppable. It really is up to the o-line now to give Rivers time and open holes for ladanian and hester and others.

If the o-line can get strong and solid we'll win every game killing opposing teams. If they flutter around we'll have trouble like last year.

8. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I agree Foobs - it's ALL about keeping Rivers verticle... he needs time to work through the progression, because "they" can't cover everyone...

9. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    we dropped olivea and picked up a veteran and have some pretty mobile rookies, SOOOO i think well be in pretty good shape with the line. next year we need to get some d-line cuz j-will is gettin a lil over the hill, BUT he can still play.

and in regards to naanee, he kinda reminds me of steven jackson, but with more speed, god i wish we had steven jackson, imagine interchanging him between half back and full back.

jackson and tomlinson in the backfield...

sounds like hells about to break out.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Y cuz da hair?

And Steven Jackson would be wasted here. unless one of them moved to WR, since they are both good pass catchers, or LT tried to return to FB, which he wouldn't do well at, One of them would ride the bench. It'd be like LT/ Burner all over again. Wait, why am i criticizing a dream scenario? Nevermind

If anything, someone's comparison to Anquan Boldin is pretty good here. Both about 6'2'' 220 lb, both former QBs, some jukes but not a wholee lot of speed, but great strength for a WR. Naanee is burlier though I think.

11. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I just watched NFL Replay last night of the Chargers/Colts playoff game. Yeah he was only involved in one play (and a helluva call by Norv) but he knew exactlty what to do and turned upfield and hauled *** and had his head on a swivel.

I'm sure Norv has plenty in store for this kid. :yes: :bolt:

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Tabernacle mutha'fer! Tabernacle!!!:icon_banana:

13. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    LEGOLAND:flag:

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Can't wait to see him plow Champ Bailey's whiny little *** over. :icon_twisted:

15. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Versatile as hell. Even LT could go slot or WR if needed be. Norv has done some very creative things in his career. I hope he doesn't hold back with this group of gems. Please return the offense to the "SuperChargers" Norv...you'll do Mr. Coryell and Mr. Gillman proud :tup:

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +502
    I am looking forward to supporting my new adopted Charger all thru the 08 season. I just hope he gets his opportunities. There are so many weapons someone is going to be disappointed.

I expect to see alot more of Sproles this year too. Out of the backfield on screens the 2 of em will be amazing. :tup:

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    We've got half a dozen players that can play numerous positions and create mismatches across the board (Naane, Sproles, Hester, VJ, Gates, Chandler/Pinnock maybe). Everyone talks about "how many weapons you have" but the question is truly "how many players do you have that you can use to create mismatches?".

18. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

Kassim Osgood has already applied for that postion.

19. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I believe you meant to say "excelled at"....
    :lol:

20. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    everyone will know who Naanee is after this season :tup:

21. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    lol yes, the hair and he has the size

22. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    oh and rip, you forgot shane olivea on ur sig, just givin u a heads up

23. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Burlier than Boldin:icon_huh: Not so sure about that...but if in truth he is, then he is an absolute beast cuz Boldin is a stud!

24. floridaboltfan

floridaboltfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    If he is as good as AB and he is #4 on the DC we will win the next two SB with ease.:abq2::abq2::abq2: