1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Naanee at TE

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The kid is big, and I think if given a chance can make some things happen. What do you guys think of lining him up at TE in Gates absence?

2. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    That's what he is listed as on the depth chart .. wouldn't surprise me .. although I really want Gates back.

3. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Deepends...has he even been working at TE in practice? Ive onlt seen him lineup at WR during games..or in the slot.

I expect to see Manu and Chaldler in ther if Gates cant go.

4. The Admiral

The Admiral BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    If Gates isnt ready to go.
    Naanee should be used more at TE.
    Manu blocking and short routes while Naanee shows the Colts how a big man runs !

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    In preseason, he lined up everywhere including TE. They might not look at him which means he could get open across the middle.

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Either chandler or naanee. Both have great hands. Their only drawback is they haven't worked that much with Rivers and the first team. TIming with passes and route running is big with norv. I guess we can hope that one week of working with the first team will get the timing down.

Its really gonna come down to the 0-line pass protection. Always has this year. Give Rivers some time and he'll find an open reciever.

7. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    I remember seeing Chandler during preseason. His height and reach were impressive and, I'd imagine, hard to defend, but he also looked like he was in slow-motion. So I'd like to get another look at Chandler at TE, but not during the PLAYOFFS! Good grief, the guy has ZERO catches this year. Has he even been active for games?

I say stick with Manu and occasionally mix in Legoland.

8. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    I expect the Bolts will handle the situation just as they did vs the Titans if Gates can't go and I don't think he plays vs the Colts. His toe is pretty bad and he will be lucky I think if he plays in the next game.

I hope I am wrong but ..... I do think that Naanee see's a little more action and Buster Davis may play a little more as well.
    One thing for sure the Bolts have to feel better about V.J. and his game.

9. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    From what Acee says Nanee will play, but at WR and not TE. Chandler will also be active and probably do some blocking, but it's unknown if he will play any receiving role.

10. The Admiral

The Admiral BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    WR/TE ...these are just labels.....
    Naanee will be all over the place regardless of what the depth chart has him listed as

:bolt: GO CHARGERS

11. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    In obvious run situations I put in another tackle at TE...

12. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    You give different WR looks, not put a rookie in that has never played the position and expect success.

This is why AJ wanted Norv. His offensive prowess is going to be put to the test this week. I hope he has an answer. One thing I guarantee you: this was accounted for and there is a long list of plays that will be called should this happen (which it has). Our staff isn't blindsided by Gates loss. It's just a matter of whether or not players can execute.

13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    LoNeal is gonna be back this week... he's expected to practice tomorrow. So Manu is going to be used at TE a lot. Naanee may get the occasional split end work, but if we're running our usual offense it's going to be Manu lining up next to McNiel and Clary.

14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Naannee is probably the most versatile player on the roster. I wouldn't put it past Norval to use him throwing off of a reverse. Chandler could be in on some plays as a sleeper when not in to block. I've got no idea what he'd be like running patterns against a defense as fast as Indie's, but he's big and agile enough to be an effective blocker. Naanee is smaller than VJ, not really big enough to play tight end accept as a receiver, but he will certainly be quite useful.

15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Acee is normally on his game but not this time.

Lego is an H-back and as such, we can swing his meat as a extra blocker or TE or WR in the slot. That is the beauty of this kid and he is not afraid. The dude was pasted earlier in the year and hung on to the ball which showed me his huevo factor.

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Gates would normally be matched up with Sanders. Now that rat fuc will have his pick of Chambers and not much else. The corners will be all over Jackson so that leaves us with trying to get some favorable match ups.

Getting into 3,4,5 WR sets would force Sanders to man up and not let him get into a groove.

17. RMANCIL

Ratings:
    +223
    I expect that Sanders will spy on LT most of the day as he loads up the box. He may blitz and other wise cover LT on pass routes.

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    That is too many people in the box. If you drop Sanders in the box, you have 11 and that is suicide. Walking up the SS makes sense but not Sanders all day.

Sanders will match up with Chambers to help shut his *** down helping the corners and occassionally blitzing.

We had two receivers go over 100 yards and I suspect the Colts have seen that 8 men in the box is effective and will not "over" commit their defense.

The Titans over commited their defense in order to stop LT at the expense of the passing game and basically dared Rivers to beat them with his arm. That sent a strong signal to the rest of the teams in the derby that if you think you have figured out the Chargers by stopping LT and Gates that you have figured us out, you are wrong. VJ and Chambers responded and were wide open. Rivers was nails in the second half.

Sanders will not be so eager to stack the box and if he does - bombs away again.

19. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

I hope so...that will leave VJ 1 on 1 and i like that matchup. If Rivers gets time and they stack the box.........this game will be interesting indeed.

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Naanee's specialty is he can be moved anywhere and can create mismatches, not necessarily he's a tight end and I'm sure I don't want him on running downs at TE but he'd be great for acquiring mismatches when lined in the slot or at FB or TE or anywhere else. Look for Manu to get hte start and be in the majority, Chandler I imagine will be activated but I doubt he'll see any time except perhaps in red zone situations where height would be important especially against 6'0 corners

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The tackle can not be unguarded at the end of the line or it is an illegal formation so an H-back type of brother will work to chip a dude and release. I would not want him in a jumbo set.

22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    If I'm coaching the team it's time to go 3 wide, strong side TE, single back, spread out their D, and run, run, run to the left, right where Freeney won't be. They start to stack, quick slants.

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Since Freeney's not there it causes two important things to occur

1. Their front four can't get pressure on their own. Mathis might get a sack on his own but that's doubtful soooo
    2. they have to blitz alot more meaning there'll be some one-on-one matchups we can exploit

24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Exactly. That way we need more WR's in there.

Run enough and get them to blitz and go man, then go across the middle.

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I think that's a great idea!!!! :bolt:

Isn't that how the Ponies beat us in the 96 playoffs?
    I can't remember the names but someone (who was for most part unknown around the league) stepped in to an injured TE and he had a big game?

26. RMANCIL

Ratings:
    +223
    The Colts history against run teams is to put Sanders in the box. In the past they have not been able to stop the run with out in fact doing so. Their history is to use Sanders like a LB.

We will soon see.

27. RMANCIL

Ratings:
    +223
    V.J. should be singled all day. Coming off a strong performance vs Tenn you have too think that the Bolts will look to take advantage of him and his size.

28. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Chargers.com lists him at 6-2 and 226lbs... that's not that big really?... VJack is bigger and there is no mention of him ever being considered as a TE ala Shannon Sharpe for example. In my opinion the thing about Naanee is his athletic ability and the fact that he is not a defined role player, because he can be used in a variety of ways is what makes him interesting and useful.

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Let me clarify. HE IS STRONG! He is one of the strongest players on the team, had huge arms. he cuold move people, I am sure of that. he did in in TC this past summer.