1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Nate Kaeding Looks To Get Past the Bitter End to Last Season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Nate Kaeding Looks To Get Past the Bitter End to Last Season

May 27, 2010 – 10:20 am by timgunter

At the end of last season every San Diego Chargers fan in the country had a reason to want to wring Nate Kaeding’s neck. Kaeding, who has established himself as the most accurate regular-season kicker ever in the NFL, missed three field goals against the Jets in the divisional playoffs that cost them the game and their season. Chargers fans had high hopes heading into the playoffs as they were on an eleven game winning streak, but Kaeding’s inability to perform in the clutch caused them to grumble. Normally, I would say that blaming the kicker for losing a game is a “cop out”, but Chargers fans had good reason to be mad at him, as well as the rest of the team for their ten penalties and numerous dropped passes. He is a victim of his own success and that is rather unfortunate.

The Chargers have become so accustomed for his near-perfect accuracy that once he fails it is such a surprise that it catches everyone off-guard. This offseason, he has spent a good amount of time rehabbing a pulled groin suffered during the Pro Bowl and he is just now able to start kicking again. Kaeding’s health has been a cause of concern for the Chargers this offseason so they signed Nick Novak to come in and compete for the starting job. Kaeding enjoys a challenge and is very optimistic about this season. He is very eager to go out and prove that he has turned the page on the bitter end to last season.

Nate Kaeding joined XX Sports Radio in San Diego to talk about how his health is, what the offseason has been like for him and whether it has been a short or long offseason, and how he goes about dealing with an offseason like this one.

What it is like to be back around the team in mini camp:
    “It is good to be back. Starting to turn the page and getting ready for the 2010 season and it is good to be around the guys again getting back to work and meeting some of the new rookies and get to put a few good months in here and get ready for that Monday night game down in Kansas City.”

His thoughts on some of the new additions to the team:“They seem pretty good. I don’t haven’t gotten a chance to meet a whole lot of them yet. As a kicker we are always kind of off on the sideline anyway, but it seems like a good group of guys and obviously with AJ and his staff they do an outstanding job of getting high character guys in here as well. It seems like a great group and it seems like they are meshing pretty well so far.”

How he is feeling these days:
    “The health is good. I was able to kick the first time today pretty much since I hurt my leg down in Miami at the Pro Bowl. It felt pretty good and I am looking forward to being back to full strength and working on my game here In the next few months.”

When he thinks he is going to be back at full strength:
    “Pretty optimistic with the way that things went today so I am hoping just to get the green light from the training staff here this weekend and be able to move full speed ahead to put together a great plan, deliberate practice plan here in June, July and August, and I am getting myself ready kicking the ball straight again and ready to go when the season gets started.”

What the offseason has been like for him and whether it has been a short or long offseason:
    “It would have been a lot better if I would have made a field goal in the playoffs, it would have been a lot more enjoyable but that is the nature of the beast for me. I play a humbling position at a humbling game and you have to be able to ride out some of these tough spots and bad games just as you have to have a straight head when you are kicking the ball well. I am optimistic and excited about getting out and helping this team win some football games come here in September.”

How he goes about dealing with an offseason like this one:
    “It hasn’t been too incredibly bad. You just go about your life and work. You just dedicate yourself like I have to rehabbing and going. It is not like the skies fall and the world is coming to an end. I mean you just go about your business and work really hard at what you do. I enjoy doing that. That is part of working on my craft and trying to get better at what I do and that is what I am dedicating myself to right now is just working on my game trying to get better, improving. It is a constant challenge for any athlete, even an athlete at this level. So you just go about your business and get ready to help the team win starting in Kansas City.”

[​IMG]

Nate Kaeding on XX Sports Radio in SD with Darren Smith

2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,728
    Damn, that pic of Nate makes him look like the Great Gazoo...

Pointy :icon_rofl:

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Great is not a title to be bestowed on Nate. :no:

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Dude...I just thought the SAME THING...

5. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Picture time!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    The Flintstones were Jumping the Shark when they trotted out Gazoo.

I could accept that the Flintstones depicted humans and dinosaurs on the planet at the same time, and that humans had foot-propelled cars... But they lost me at futuristic spacemen.

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He's Egyptian. :lol:

8. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Why would any radio station waste the airtime putting this little piece of **** on??

Hell, why do people here still act like hes playing for THIS team? Hes not, hes clearly been throwing games and trying to help the other team win, so why waste the bandwidth?

His name should actually be banned from sites like this

9. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    Nate the Great will kick the winning FG for the Chargers in the Super Bowl. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :lol:

Pointy???

:lol:

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He better get over it and get over it fast otherwise the next thing he's going to be looking past is all hte people in front of him at unemployment

12. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    This guy does not get it. He needs to be removed immediately. I despise him and his attitude towards the game. I bet he is now loaded up on a ton of meds prescribed by his shrink. He will have a bad year and blame it on injuries. :icon_evil:

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    **** nate

• Like Like x 1
  14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    stupid post :tdown:

15. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    Nate seems like a good guy, he's the Chargers' kicker, I hope he bounces back and has a great season and postseason

16. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    lol - "Hello, Dumb-Dumb."

17. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703

Way funny... :lol:

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    He's our kicker for the coming season. Make the best of it. If they were going to dump him they would have already.

19. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Oh shut the **** up

Nate sucks and is the biggest reason this team has no rings. Hes a disgrace to the city of san diego

The fact that AJ hasnt cut this piece of **** is whats stupid, how many games does this guy have to throw (most likely to pay of gambling debts) before AJ and some on here come to their senses

20. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I hate to say it but Nate has to go. I forgave him for the the first time against the Jets a couple years ago. What good is a kicker that can make all his kicks during the season and then choke again and again. Can you even imagine him in that situation again. It can and will happen again! He has to go. Simple as that. :tdown:

21. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    !!!:tup:!!!

22. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I say he cost us two rings at the least.
    Welcome to the Church of CoronaDoug, established January 2005. :lol:

23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The Temple of the Bolt is mighty. :icon_toast::bolt:

24. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I'm glad somebody did because I haven't.....:icon_evil:

25. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
  26. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I've seen enough.

F&&k off Nate.

27. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    It's like sea sickness. You'll acclimate. He will be around for some time.

28. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Can we at least run that fake FG Marty had him run years ago in the preseason? Then again he'd probably run out of bounds just to the left of the pylon and miss the endzone.

He's a bum.

29. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Know how much he likes to throw games, it wouldnt surprise me if he "fumbled" the ball right to the other team and then blocked our own guys trying to "tackle" the guy with ball

30. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    In exactly which 2 seasons did Nate cost us rings, I ask?

In 2004, his rookie season, even if he makes the FG and beats the Jets in the Wild Card game, we still have to travel to Pittsburgh the following week and if we upset them, then it’s off to New England to play the defending SB Champs.

In 2005, we didn’t make the playoffs.

In 2006, his desperation 54 yard attempt as time expired would’ve only tied the game if it had been good….who knows how that game turns out but let’s not forget: both Rivers & Merriman were hurt at the time, and would’ve reportedly missed the AFC Championship game had we advanced. I don’t buy that, but I do feel they would’ve at least been diminished, which would not have boded well for us.

In 2007, Kaeding accounted for all of our points in the AFC Championship game…kinda hard to blame him for us not winning it all that year!

In 2008, he kicked the game tying FG against the Colts in the Wild Card game, sending it to overtime and then he made his only attempt the following week at Pittsburgh.

In January of this year, he had a horrible game but even if he makes enough of his kicks & we squeak by the Jets, we still have to go to Indy and face a team that flirted with perfection, and then take on the Saints in the Superbowl if we get past the Colts.

While Nate Kaeding is a very convenient scapegoat for our multiple team chokes, in reality it’s pretty hard to cite him as the only reason we’ve failed to win it all in any of his 5 magnificent seasons with us.

• Like Like x 1