1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Nate Keading

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JohnnyX, Dec 16, 2010.

1. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Congrats to Nate for getting the all time best field goal percentage at I think 85.3(not sure heard it on in the game) Anyway congrats the big accomplishment #10

2. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    He already had it before but then he missed and went back down to 2nd.

3. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    YEH. He must have the all time worst playoff fg % though!!!

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    He still sucks....:lol:

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    He'll still fail in the playoffs, we need to get him injured somehow before then and get ourselves a new one for then.

6. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Exactly....

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    No comment.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Or will redeem himself...

9. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814

He has been working on the for years hasn't he?

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    heh?

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The special teams stat that caught my eye last night was the fact we are allowing more run back yards in the history of the NFL.

That is hideous.

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Don't get me wrong I'm not wishing injury on the guy, just 100% he hasn't got the gonads for the big kicks. At least with another kicker we don't know ahead of time he is sure to miss.

13. gsxr

gsxr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Ooh 19.5 yards, sooo...I just like that at least now the refs are calling the holding on those plays. More time than not we were victums of non-calls and at least the runbacks were called this time.

14. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    The last time that happened, was 2007 when Nate broke his plant leg trying to make a tackle against Denver in Week 16, and the Bolts added kicker Dave Rayner to the roster but he never saw the field.

Kaeding proceeded to make 11 field goals in 13 attempts over the next 5 games, 3 of them were playoff games to include his impressive 4 for 4 performance at New England that accounted for all of San Diego's points in the AFC Championship game.

15. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    And the misses?

16. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    1 against Tennessee in a playoff game in which he also made one and we won by 11 points, and the following week at Indianapolis when his 49 yard attempt bounced off an upright and fell away.

17. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    In January 2005, Kaeding became only the second rookie in NFL history to attempt a potential game-winning field goal in the playoffs in the 4th quarter or overtime. His 40-yard field goal attempt missed, and the Chargers lost in the wild card round to the New York Jets, who won the game on a Doug Brien field goal.

Kaeding's postseason struggles continued in the 2006 NFL Playoffs, when he missed a potential game tying 54-yard field goal attempt against the New England Patriots. He had not missed a field goal at home in the previous two years prior to that 54-yard attempt.

In the 2007 playoffs, Kaeding missed a field goal each in the Wild Card weekend game against Tennessee (which San Diego won) and against the Indianapolis Colts (which San Diego also won). Nate's streak of consecutive playoff games with a missed field goal stood at 4 but was ended with a made field goal from 40 yards against New England.

In the 2009 NFL season, Kaeding connected on 91.4% (32/35) of his field goals, a percentage that led the NFL. His season long of 54 yards came in a Week 15 victory over Cincinnati Bengals. However, in the AFC Divisional Round against the New York Jets, Kaeding's postseason struggles continued as he missed all 3 of his attempted field goals, from 37, 57, and 40 yards. The Jets won the game 17-14. In the postseason, Kaeding is 3-for-9 on field goal attempts at home.

[​IMG]

I am done. Can we discuss his kick-off distance next?

18. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    Curiously ommitted in that whole slanted synopsis is the 2008 postseason, I wonder why that is? :D

It could be because Nate made his only 2 playoff attempts that year, running his streak of consecutive postseason field goals to 6 before his debacle of a game against the Jets last year, and it's obvious that the author chose not to mention Kaeding's postseason successes, like at New England, against the Colts and at Pittsburgh in consecutive playoff games.

As for kickoff distance, Nate's could be better but he is preferable to Wade "Wide" Richey, who got outstanding distance on his kickoffs, if he could keep them inbounds....

19. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Maybe they were omitted because they were chip shots or FG that should be made?

Here is the source for your reading pleasure.

Nate Kaeding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

20. gsxr

gsxr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I thought Richeys kicks droped at about the 10 so, what's so good about him? A great team shouldn't have to rely on a kicker. I'm pretty sure if you look at the other kickers in the league there's quite a dropoff in distance and accuracy. I don't watch other teams but the stats hold up for Nate. He may not have a golden foot but he does get the job done.

21. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    I like my theory better, it seems much closer to the truth....it amuses me how Kaeding is considered a goat because he misses a 40 yard attempt on a rain soaked field as a rookie, but gets virtually no love or credit for making a 40 yard attempt in icy conditions and with a broken plant leg in the biggest game that his current team has every played in, with a trip to the Superbowl as it's prize...

22. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    just couldn't do it could you

:lol::lol::lol:

23. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I try man, I really do. :lol:

24. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I really do wish that I could see things as you do. :D

25. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Nate Kaeding...will still never have this fan's confidence in the postseason.

26. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    The NFL is a what have you done for me lately league. When you are in the playoffs it doesn't matter if you kicked 100% on your field goals during the season. If you miss them in the playoffs you're a goat... period. Say what you want to make yourself feel good about Kaeding... but there isn't any love for guys who finish second or miss chip shot FGs in big games. Quit making excuses and alibi's for the guy. He's missed big field goals when it counted the most... that makes him a choke artist. He seems like a nice guy and a good kicker... but he chokes when the game is on the line. Face the facts- he's not a clutch kicker.

Q: I wonder how ranks on getting the ball to the goal line on kickoffs? I don't think any of his made it past the five yard line on Thursday. Maybe it's his pulled groin... but he was short kicking off last season too.

27. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    This is like watching a volcano GRow and GROW and G R O W until ...... get back everyone ..... it goes BOOM !!!!

Pure 100% hatred.

Impressive.

28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Does anyone really believe that Kaeding has done enough to be retained by the team going into the 2011 season? Seriously?

29. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    If you did, you'd never go back to being you! :cool:
    I do, without a doubt or a second thought!

If we released or simply chose not to to resign Nate Kaeding, he would be snatched up by some other team so fast it would surprise some of you haters....

30. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Of coarse not...you have to make the key kicks to get that confidnence...fans are simple...you make it or not! Simple.