1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NBA PLayoffs Officiating

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by reef shark, May 9, 2009.

1. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    During game 3 of LA/Houston yesterday, Jeff Van Gundy said that Steve Javie has been one of the best refs over recent years. After Artest got ejected for a "flagrant 2" foul on Gasol late in the game (replays clearly showed he went for the ball, never hit his head, and actually Lowry hit Gasol harder from the back), it became clear that these refs were officiating based on personal biases.

In game 2, Kobe elbowed Artest in the neck during a boxout and Artest was called for a personal foul. This was ridiculous to me, and of course he got ejected for touching Kobe in the arm and mimicking his elbow action. Well guess what after a day of review Kobe got a flagrant foul, retroactively, but it was too late. (also see Rondo's foul on Miller, in Boston)

Throughout the season (even last years' playoffs) I have noticed that the Lakers have gotten several favorable calls/no-calls in really key situations. My belief is that all fouls should be called regardless of a player's star status or the arena. But this will never happen, because of guys like Javie and Joe Crawford. I think that too much controversy has followed them for questionable calls. They need a retest.

2. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-missedfoulerror&prov=ap&type=lgns

DALLAS (AP)—The NBA admitted officials were wrong when they didn’t call an intentional foul the Dallas Mavericks were trying to commit before Denver’s Carmelo Anthony(notes) made a game-winning 3-pointer Saturday.

Dallas had a two-point lead and a foul to give when Denver inbounded the ball with less than 8 seconds left. Antoine Wright(notes) was clearly trying to foul Anthony, and bumped him twice.

But the whistle never blew and Anthony swished a 3-pointer from in front of the Dallas bench with a second left that gave the Nuggets a 106-105 victory and a 3-0 series lead.

“At the end of the Dallas-Denver game this evening, the officials missed an intentional foul committed by Antoine Wright on Carmelo Anthony, just prior to Anthony’s three-point basket,” Joel Litvin, NBA president of league and basketball operations, said in a statement issued by the league about two hours after the game.

“It’s a shame the game had to come down to this, but that’s the way it goes in the NBA sometimes,” Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said in an e-mail to The Associated Press after the league’s statement.

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    It's impossible to officiate a modern NBA game. They have allowed the game to become a wrestling match in the hope it will draw fan interest.

:tdown:

4. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Seriously, NBA officiating is basically arbitrary. There is so much preferential treatment shown to stars and so little accountability that I just can't watch any more. I'm not a huge basketball guy, but I always get into watching the playoffs... but every year I find myself getting farther and and farther away and starting to tune in later and later.

5. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    should we put them back in the Cages like they started out?

6. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    I quit watching when the Clippers moved.

7. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Officiating really went bad during the 1999-2000 season when Portland got screwed and the Shaq led Lakers went on to win their first Championship. After that The Kings got screwed in favor of the Lakers. After Jordan, Barkey, Bird, Magic, etc. retired The NBA needed a new dynasty because ratings were tanking. So they went ahead and manufactured one with the Lakers.

Nowadays, I'd like to think it's getting a bit better. But then you see whats happening during this Lakers-Rockets series, and you think of the WWF again.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Please don't say that about the WWF again! :lol: