1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NCTimes: CHARGERS: Linebacker Smith on board with Chargers' plan

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Aug 1, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    I forgot that we signed this guy.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/08/01/sports/chargers/z45aba5c8b251145c88257498000b56ed.txt

2. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
  3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There are no holes in our line up. Even the O Line, considering the way our schedule falls out, is in good shape.

4. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    RC
    In a time when anticipation levels are going into stratosphere, I agree we are very strong and are one of the favourites to be World Champion.
    I don't see holes in our line up, I see question marks.
    These are:
    ILB
    RT
    C
    SS
    NT
    These question marks are through injury, suspension and ability.
    I am interested as to your comment re O line vs schedule. Are you referring solely to Hardwick's recovery?

5. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Not sure why people think RT is such a question-mark. We were undefeated with Clary as a starter until the AFCCG, and he had almost no experience. Now he'll have the experience of last season along with a full offseason working to improve himself. I'm not at all concerned about Clary. Even if something wierd happens and he turns out not to be the answer we have Shelton.

Why is center a question-mark? If Hardwick's not ready, Newberry will start, and Newberry's a solid center. We're no worse off at center than we were last year at this time.

Why is ILB a question-mark? We have it covered with Smith until Coop gets back, and Waters will jump back into the mix next week. By the fifth game of the season we'll have Cooper and Wilhelm starting, Smith as the first guy off the bench, Waters likely as the first guy at Wilhelm's position... where's the question mark?

I mean, if your criteria is that we might not be able to endure two or three injuries to a single position, well we're going to have question marks every single season, forever.

6. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Floyd can't afford this. Damn.

7. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    You're right. Norv is going to have to make some tough cuts this year, and I think carrying six wide-receivers might be a luxury we can't afford.

1. Chambers
    2. Jackson
    3. Davis
    4. Naanee
    5. Osgood

We're already going to be hard-pressed to get the ball into the hands of the top three guys, much less with Naanee pressing for time. The #5 guy's probably never going to have a ball thrown his way. So who do you choose? The guy who can play special teams at a pro-bowl level, or the guy who doesn't play special-teams and will probably never see the field?

To keep Floyd we'll have to keep six receivers, meaning he's going to have to make himself look too good to release in this camp. I think of all our "on the bubble" players he might be the most "on the bubble." He's on the bubble wearing spikes.

8. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    RT - it was widely quoted that if the run on OT's hadn' happened in the draft, AJ would have picked one, not Cason. (This may or not be the case - we'll never know). Why get Shelton if Clary is the answer. It isn't a hole to me, it's a question mark.
    C - almost everyone agrees that the O-line play suffers when Hardwick is absent through injury. Newberry may be a solid centre, but he's plenty miles on the clock and he's new to this team and playbook. - question mark.
    ILB - not many people rated ILB as a major strength of the team last year. Coop and wilhelm progressed as the season wore on. But are they the finished article? Why does almost everyone hope Walters becomes something special - to become a quality starter. Add in another vet replacement for 4 weeks and this to me is also a qustion mark.

I am as desperate as anyone to win the big one and also believe we will do it. however, we don't have 22 all-pros and I merely believe we have a few question marks.

:tup:

9. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Not having all-pro caliber guys at a few positions doesn't make those positions question marks. I think people like to look for things to mitigate high expectations, and that's what you're doing.

Question-marks represent the unknown, and center, RT, and ILB aren't unknowns. We know what we've got at those positions in terms of starters and depth.

10. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I tend to think that was overblown. There was a run on tackles and I doubt AJ was surprised by it since he was one of the guys on the forefront prior to the draft talking about how great the depth at tackle was. I saw him talk about tackles on at least four different occasions before the draft which is very unusual for him. He normally is very tight-lipped about specific positions--especially if it's a position-of-need for us. In other words, I half-think AJ intentionally encouraged the run on tackles by talking about how great the depth was at the position. If tackle was really his first priority in the Round One I doubt he'd be out there talking about how awesome the tackles are.

Cornerback just made more sense for this team given our needs and how important the nickelback is in today's NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    My greatest concern for this years team is the OL. I agree that Clary did a very good job last year. By some accounts of TC, he seems to be picking up where he left off. That would be great news. I'm concerned about Nick, but am hoping that Newberry & Withrow will answer the call there. Big Mac needs to remember what he found in the latter part of last season & keep it up.

At ILB - I'm not worried. We have youth & veterans in the mix. Waters will be starting by mid-season at the latest, IMO. And I think that Smith will give us a strong, smart veteran presence. His play should help Wilhelm by example & mentoring.

There's always the threat of injuries, but I think that AJ & Co. have done a good job of building depth. Would I have liked to get a stud OL in the draft? Sure - but I think that we made smart moves with Cason & Hester, plus good acquisitions for veteran depth in Shelton & Newberry.

12. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    We know who we have and what they have been capable of in the past. However, I still don't know how the new guys will pan out in the Lightning Bolts. I also don't know if our combination at ILB can consistantly stuff the inside run at the line of scrimmage.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    You make an excellent point regarding the importance of the nickleback in the modern game. Cason may have been the pick all along and is so far looking good in reports from TC.

GM's by all accounts get up to all kinds of shennanegans pre-draft, but do you believe that 7 clubs selected OT's to stop AJ getting his hands on one?
    These other clubs must also know the score and would know that AJ talking OT was a red herring.
    (Wow, double reverse psychology!..roll on next weekend and let the games begin!!)
    :abq1:

14. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135

:lol::lol::lol:

15. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
  16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    In order. Primarily it's Hardwick missing the early games. Newberry is a proven commodity who I would worrry about carrying through an entire season, but is a real asset as a back up and Witherow is still fairly young and learning, but has adequate physical tools. With the exception of Dobbins our young LB's are capable of playing inside or outside, particularly Tucker and Siler who are gifted athletes and Waters who will compete with Smith. Applewhite, from preliminary reports is a specimen. Clary has muscled up and has benefitted from last year, while Shelton, like Newberry, is capable of ably doing spot duty. Hart is coming into his own. Oliver is a couple of pounds heavier than Hart and was looked at as a safety rather a corner from the beginning and is in the thick of the nickel back chase, but would appear to be suited to SS if Hart goes down. Jamal is getting healthy and Bingham(especially Bingham) and others are capable of giving Jamal blow from time to time. In my calculations are my admittedly instinctual expectations of the Illustrated man. I get tied up from time to time, but if someone could tell how Eric Robertson has looked, I would appreciate it.

17. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715

I been wondering bout the illustrated man as well, havn't heard much