1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Need Computer Help - Ripping a DVD to a MAC

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by in_a_days, Sep 14, 2007.

1. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Hello forum! I have a DVD of my friends band playing last weekend here in Vegas. But they are trying to get it set up so each song is a seperate chapter rather than the whole set being chapter 1. I have access to some good editing software, but I have never ripped a DVD to an MPEG before and I just can't seem to make it happen. I'm fairly computer literate and I hate to ask for help, but maybe somebody here will have a quick solution for me. I'm running OSX 10.4.x. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    First advice: ditch the Mac.

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Gosh I should have seen that coming. I work on both macs and PCs. And while I am a PC guy at heart Macintosh absolutely and inequivically SMOKES PCs when it comes to multi track audio, and video and graphic editing. Have you ever compared PC recording software performance to that of a MAC? Your games and word processor might work great on your PC, your internet probably flies, but when it comes to doing real work, I have a very hard time taking smack talk seriously. Not to mention no viruses or network conflicts EVER.

4. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    :lol: I knew I was going to get the same speech I usually get. Ten years ago I'd agree with you but I've heard a few things about the video and sound editing software playing field being equal from people who prefer to own brand new editions of both. Mac's are pretty looking, so it's kind of like do you want to go 160 mph in a muscle car or 160 mph in a Volkswagon?

On the serious side, what kind of error message are you getting? My dvd burner is an el cheapo I bought from Frys so I could burn computer games, and I can never seem to burn video. I've assumed that the hardware is at fault, as every burning software I've used gives me issues. Then again, I have no idea what kind of burner they put in a Mac. More info, please, and I'll stop dissing on your computer.

5. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    By info I mean that I would need to know if you have all drivers for the burner updated, what dvd media you are using, what brand is the dvd player, what's the name of the software...

6. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    One more thing, the dvd MIGHT be copy protected in some way...they are getting pretty sneaky...

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Yo, it's not actually an error message I'm getting I just can't find a piece of software that will rip this track. I don't think it's copy protected, 'cause it's a home burned DVD. I've tried a program called HandBrake, that went through the whole proceedure, ran on my office computer for 24+ hours to rip the track (which is like 45 minutes), didn't produce and error message. But when it was all done the mp4 file it was supposed to be creating just wasn't there. :icon_shrug:

Also tried a program called MacTheRipper, but I believe it just copies the DVD to your 'puter without converting it to a movie file. I'm sure if I google it a few more times I'll eventually find something that works right the first time through. But I'm impatient and was hoping somebody here might have a miracle answer for me.