1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Need One More Reason to Hate the Cheatriots?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, May 22, 2008.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3408450

Man, like we need another reason to hate these flockers......

Tucker agrees with Walsh: Patriots practiced with IR players

Ross Tucker, a former offensive lineman who played for five teams in a seven-year NFL career, reiterated Thursday that he believes that New England used players on the injured reserve list in practices, which violates league rules.

Former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh, in a meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell last week, said that a Patriots player on injured reserve practiced when he wasn't allowed to in 2001.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Thursday, "The Walsh allegation is still under review."

The Patriots, when contacted by ESPN Thursday, had no comment.

Tucker continued to contend the Patriots used injured players illegally during an interview on ESPN's "NFL Live." He first wrote about it last week on SI.com.

Tucker told "NFL Live" that Patriots coach Bill Belichick will do anything he can "to get an advantage." He also added that using a player on injured reserve in practice was of "minimal" benefit.

Last Friday, in an article published on SI.com, Tucker wrote that: "I had heard the Patriots did this before I signed with them in 2005 and I saw it firsthand during my time there. I asked veteran receiver Troy Brown about it one time and he responded, 'Every team in the league does that.' I quickly let him know none of the three teams I played for previously had done so.

"Basically, the Patriots would put a player on IR, knowing it meant he couldn't play in a game or practice with the team for the remainder of the season. By skirting the rules and practicing him anyway, it allowed them to develop his skills during the year. A side benefit is that they were also able to give some of the older players less repetitions and, therefore, additional rest."

Tucker played with Washington, Dallas, Buffalo, New England and Cleveland during his career. He currently writes for SI.com and hosts a show on Sirius satellite radio.

2. 31-last2years-4

31-last2years-4 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
  3. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    As someone so wisely posted in another thread, just because you don't gain much advantage from your cheating, it's still cheating. This notion being spread around by the media and repeated here and other places by fans alike, that it's only cheating if you get caught or gain a huge advantage from it, is ridiculous. If it's against the rules, it's cheating.

One thing I hate to hear from game announcers is when they say, "if you don't get caught, it's not a foul." Well, yes, but that sort of says to our kids watching and hearing that, that it's okay to cheat. And, once again, this is one of the biggest problems I have with this whole mess and the way the NFL and a lot of the teams and media are minimizing it.

Well, I guess it's okay to rig the gas pumps so you are only getting 3/4 of a gallon instead of a full gallon..... as long as nobody finds out. The examples are endless. And these kids who are listening and observing this now are being taught that it's okay to cheat if you can get away with it. These will be the people that grow up to become the guy who rigs the gas pump. And he will believe it's "okay" because he's not getting caught........that's what he grew up hearing.

So.... is it just a football issue? Is it a good thing that the feds get involved? Even the smallest pebble thrown into a lake causes ripples.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    That's what pisses me off the most; why do people assume that they DIDN'T gain much advantage? NFL games can be decided by just a few plays, if you stuff a couple of critical 3rd down plays because you knew what was going to be run, it can mean the difference between winning and losing.

And yet not a single person in the media has pointed that out.

5. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    I am all about cheating! Go Bill B!:tup:

6. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Because they all want to downplay the whole thing and continue to suck off the Patriots.

My view is that I'll never know one way or the other, so I can't make any pronouncements either way. I'll just always view those Super Bowl wins as having a cloud of suspicion over them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Don't need any more reasons to hate on them.

Their SBs and Belichicks tenure will always be TAINTED.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Now the taint and stench of Bellichek is starting to pile onto Goddell - how much can the commissioner let one guy cheat before it just becomes too much and he should be thrown out of hte league??? Goddell for all his chest thumping is turning more and more into a *****cat with every cheat that Bellichek gets away with

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    One question dudes. Why isn't all this heat being turned on the White House? Why are we demanding more from the NFL, the sports writers and fans than we are from our own government and Constitution? This is political stuff, but it just hit me between the runnin' lights. A few teams may have lost some games, but we have more than four thousand dead, thirty thousand wounded, another thirty thousand evacuated for disease, parasites and other conditions, 13 non combat deaths in in the Marine Expeditionary Force this year (2 motorcycle accidents, 1 murder, 2 probable suicides in the last week), trillions of wasted dollars and nothing but horse manure to show for it. I have lived and breathed the Chargers since they were in LA. Just had to vent. Sorry. Maybe it's the cognac but this stuff at the moment seems like small change.

10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    All that **** pisses me off as well, but I just voice it around here. The political forum got shut down because it got out of hand.

People are passionate about football, but politics is a whole different level of passion as it affects our daily lives. Football only gets us jacked up on Sundays 16+ times a year.

Staying on TOPIC, the Patriots **** on what has become our nations favorite sport. Baseball, Apple Pie and Chevrolet took a back seat a few years ago.

11. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    My fellow Bolt brother, please just STFU about politics. Why is it that only liberals don't know when to keep thier political opinions to themselves? Every time you go off on politics you piss off half of your fellow bolt fans. This is not the place for this stuff.

Go Chargers!

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Interesting screed from a reader of Peter King's MMQB column.

• I HAVE IGNORED THE REAL SCANDAL OF SPYGATE. From Ronn L., of Nashville: "Peter, you are my favorite NFL writer but I am sad to see that even you have buried the lead from Spygate and missed the central lesson -- the NFL's selective transparency. By destroying all of the original evidence from the Patriots without allowing for an independent accounting of its contents -- a verification that could have easily occurred after the season -- commissioner Roger Goodell has effectively told the media, the fans and congress that the NFL retains the right to act as its own judge and jury regardless of the size and potential impact of the scandal. And the vast majority of fans and media have seemingly accepted this remarkable and paradoxical act of executive entitlement. The commissioner is asking us to believe on the one hand that although the Pats' videotaping was a clear violation of NFL rules, it had a negligible effect on the outcome of games. Yet on the other hand, he erases the only evidence that could once and for all confirm this as true and bury the scandal for good."

Good point, Ronn, and I understand your frustration (you are certainly not alone) at the destruction of evidence. But I think we saw enough before last Tuesday's Goodell press conference, and we've not heard a peep of denial from Belichick and the Patriots about it, to know that the Patriots were serial videotapers for seven years. We saw excerpts from tapes from seven different games between 2000 and 2002, and Belichick admitted to Armen Keteyian that probably more than half the games in 2006 were taped after the league re-emphasized the video laws. The larger issue is whether Goodell should be judge and jury. NFL commissioners have been that for decades. Pete Rozelle banned Paul Hornung and Alex Karras for a year apiece in 1963, then ordered Joe Namath to sell a bar that the league thought had mob ties in 1969. He was judge and jury then. Goodell will always claim he acted correctly in destroying the evidence, but my feeling is deep down he wishes he hadn't.

Why wasn't BeliCHEAT suspended?? or why hasn't he been suspended yet?

NFL = NBA = Weak Idiot comish!

Stan :rivers17:

13. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38

Word! Repped!

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

14. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38
    Agreed, sad state of affairs that if my kids were to, for some odd reason take a liking to the Patriots colors or players, [not that they would I have them pretty well brain washed on the Bolts] but for examples sake lets just say I was the type of worthless parent that did not care who their kids rooted for, and my kids started taking an interest in the Pats, I am pretty certain I would nip that in the bud, unlike past SB winning teams, especially living in such a "front-running" area like LA County, I have not seen very many "converts" to the Patsies cause like other franchises when they won SB's like the Packers [everyone was wearing #4 jersey's especially kids] or the Donkies in their hey day 10 years ago, even SB losers like the Eagles and Panther have more kids and tweens buying their gear than the Patsies have today. It would be interesting read if some one could come up with the NFL merchandise sales figures per team for 2009, the after spygate era, of course a lot depends on the Patsies final record in 08, did they make the playoffs, final record etc...to guage the final impact of Spygate on their bottom line, and to see Krafts reaction to financial loses and how it relates to his relationship to Beli-CHEAT!

15. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    **** the hypocrisy.

I don't give a **** if it only helped him a little, he cheated.

When a player gets caught for Roids or something else you don't hear these reporters saying it's no big deal those roids or whatever don't do much to improve your performance.

If it didn't give them an advantage they wouldn't be doing it, it's as simple as that. Belichick isn't stupid enough to cheat for nothing. Or maybe I give him too much credit, either way he's either an idiot or a cheater.

16. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38

Could not agree more, Goodell has created more controversy with his shoddy handling of Spygate, everything afterwards has just been damage control, I've seen enough of it in the music industry, to know the difference, I smelled a rat in September 07!!!! But it took some POS politician to bring it out, that's a pretty sad inditment of Goodell if you aske me!

Bring back Pete Rozell from the grave!

17. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38

See my post above regarding Peter King's article in response to a readers e-mail.

Say your employer sends out a memo saying "any employee caught stealing will be fired & prosecuted" and you get caught [oddly enough on camera stealing] and your excuse is you "mis-interpreted" the employers memo?? c'mon, that's 2 years min in prison 14 mos. for good behaviour if you have no priors, but Belicheat had priors 7 seasons worth of priors. Goodell = slime!

But if you read all Patriots fans are defending BB like the 'Lims defend Osama!!!

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Didn't you just agree that we should STFU about political statements a few posts back? Try taking your own advice.

19. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Bomb Belichick !!! Jihad !!!

20. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    :icon_rofl:

21. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38

:icon_tease: :icon_tease: :icon_tease: :icon_tease:

Weak!!!

PS. Please place me on your ignore list, don't ever respond to one of my posts again, as far as I am concerned you don't exist.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    YES!!!!!!!!!! :tup::tup::tup:

23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The fourth brandy makes one incautious. I'll try and be more judicious.