1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Nepotism?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fouts, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    What successful teams have their direct kids/family in prominant front office positions? Not talking about the owner, (figure head) who keeps their nose out of 99% of football operations.

2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,727
    An Interesting Read:

Sports
    The Nepotism Football League

By: The Couch Slouch / The Washington Post

NFL coaching jobs that open every year. These positions — mostly assistant coaching spots — can be obtained through two time-honored avenues:

1. Hard work and success.

2. Your last name.

Indeed, abundant skill can go a long way, but nothing beats having your father hire you.

In case you forgot, the “N” in NFL also stands for Nepotism.

Nepotism in the New World is as old as the Declaration of Independence. You could look it up on your smartphone, kids: John Adams was this nation’s second president; his son John Quincy Adams — whom he appointed to the cushy job of Minister to Prussia in 1797 — was this nation’s sixth president.

(Little-known fact: After Thomas Edison invented the light bulb in 1879, he provided the seed money to allow his nephew Tremayne to open the first Lamps Plus store in Menlo Park, Ohio.)

America continues in this vein to this day.

[Complete coverage of NFL’s Week 3]

Bush vs. Clinton — go figure, in a nation of 320 million, virtually every presidential election in the past quarter-century involves one or both of their families. And I hate to pick on the only daughter of late producer Aaron Spelling, but does anyone think Tori was getting TV and film roles because she outperformed Meryl Streep at the annual Hollywood acting combine?

While every so often the great social democratic experiment we call America is a meritocracy, most of the time it comes down to who you know and who your daddy is.

If Vito Corleone were an NFL honcho, Fredo would have been an assistant special teams coach.

(By the way, I am proud to say that I have never gotten a job through a family connection. My father’s a wonderful man, but the only door he ever opened for me was the entrance to IHOP.)

Anyway, let me provide you with a stunning statistic — nearly one-quarter of current NFL head coaches have one of their sons on staff.

Here’s the roll call of head coaches and hired heirs:

• Bill Belichick, Patriots (Steve Belichick, coaching assistant)

● Jeff Fisher, Rams (Brandon Fisher, defensive backs coach)

● Marvin Lewis, Bengals (Marcus Lewis, defensive assistant)

● Andy Reid, Chiefs (Britt Reid, assistant defensive line coach)

● Lovie Smith, Buccaneers (Mikal Smith, safeties coach)

● Mike Zimmer, Vikings (Adam Zimmer, linebackers coach)*

● Pete Carroll, Seahawks (Nate Carroll, assistant wide receivers coach; Brennan Carroll, assistant offensive line coach)**

* Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner also has his son, Scott, as quarterbacks coach.

** Of Carroll’s three children, only daughter Jaime is not on staff in Seattle.

Incidentally, Steve Belichick played one year of Division I football, as a long snapper at Rutgers, en route to a coveted NFL slot. That would be like Couch Slouch scrawling graffiti on bathroom walls at a Greyhound bus station one summer before getting hired by the New Yorker as a senior correspondent.

[Early Lead: Why is Peyton Manning still playing football?]

The NFL coaching tree traditionally is filled with family branches — the entitled apple doesn’t fall far from the entitled apple orchard — as generations of Shulas, Schottenheimers and Shanahans don the headsets.

We have seen head-coaching brothers recently — Jim and John Harbaugh, Jon and Jay Gruden — with both sets of siblings from a coaching family. Buddy Ryan begat Rex and Rob. Bum Phillips begat Wade and Wes. Former NFL coach and current UCLA coach Jim Mora coached under his father, Jim Sr., with the Saints. And on and on.

One-quarter of NFL offensive coordinators have family coaching connections.

So I hate to discourage fledgling coaches in training, but if your dad worked for the Department of Water and Power, you might want to look long and hard at Department of Water and Power job opportunities.

3. OwenBoltMeany

OwenBoltMeany BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    That is one damn depressing article.

But it certainly blows out of the water the thread starters argument if he was trying to say the Chargers' problems are because of nepotism.

4. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Nepotism is the history of ownership and coaching...
    but it seems to me that the Chargers abuse the custom,
    trying to find a job for everyone with Spanos in the name.
    You can't swing a dead cat at Chargers Park without hitting a Spanos. :(

Now, are there other franchises that use their team as a cash cow, as much,
    for every family member that would be unemployable in the real world?
    I confess to not having done the homework on that...

5. OwenBoltMeany

OwenBoltMeany BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    There is this from the cited article: "Incidentally, Steve Belichick played one year of Division I football, as a long snapper at Rutgers, en route to a coveted NFL slot. That would be like Couch Slouch scrawling graffiti on bathroom walls at a Greyhound bus station one summer before getting hired by the New Yorker as a senior correspondent."

6. Lawyers guns & money

Lawyers guns & money BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +108
    No the article talks about head coaches hiring their own for certain positions. The Chargers problem is in the front office where the Spanos clan insists on being employed rather than just cashing the checks. At least with the coaches, the guy at the top is bona fide. There is no such person in the Spanos tree now that Alex is out of the picture

7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Marty wanted to hire his Brother/Son and was told he couldn't on grounds of nepotism. The Spanos are grade A hypocrites.

8. Lawyers guns & money

Ratings:
    +108
    Much different for coaches because their job is on the line. If they have relatives on the staff who don't get it done their heads roll. No such accountability for the owner

9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    It's hard to believe they actually said that nepotism was the reason...is there any source (link) for that?

10. Lawyers guns & money

Ratings:
    +108
    It was widely reported. Spanos had a "policy" re nepotism. Have u tried an Internet search?

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    No...I'm dubious, and not eager to spend much time searching for something I suspect might not exist...
    better to ask someone who says it does exist... :p

12. Lawyers guns & money

Ratings:
    +108
    It happened and it exists. When Marty wanted to hire his brother in early 2007 it was widely reported that Spanos and AJ refused to consider him and reminded him of the policy. It played a part in his "firing"

13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Yeah...I heard people say that...but I'm still dubious. (no offense)

14. Lawyers guns & money

Ratings:
    +108
    None taken. If you want to cure your dubiousness a quick internet search should help. Otherwise carry on being dubious

15. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Yeah, as one gets older, they should learn to spend less time looking for what they doubt is there. :D
    If I spend a half hour trying to confirm the story, I'd only have myself to blame if/when
    it turns out to be a fool's errand...since I expected as much...don't have time to waste...

16. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    Off the top of my head...

Jerry Jones...Steve Jones

Formerly Al Davis...Mark Davis

I suspect the Chargers easily hold the record for the most though.

Nepotism in the coaching tree is irrelevant. The Head Coach lives and dies by his choice of assistants and will be held accountable. NFL owners are never held accountable.

17. ShowYourBolts

ShowYourBolts Offering free samples.

Ratings:
    +114
    To add to that, off of the top of my head.

Mara with the Giants, Rooney with the Steelers, Glazer with the Bucs and Hunt with the Chiefs.

18. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    Those are different circumstances, Steve Jones groomed to take over ownership (as buffoon Spanos duo) but he seems to have a more hands off approach, I believe he grabbed the Cowboys draft card with Manziel name on it away from Jerahh.

Mark Davis is just the new owner, (kind of). He appears to let Reggie McKenzie make all football decisions.

John Spanos, well he played hs football, was a ball boy, scouted nfl by the only team that would hire him, then a couple quick promotions to important positions. That is fine, but he appears to have his nose in the details, instead of, letting real nfl people run the show. You ever think we have a Belicheat, Pete Carrol, etc?

Nope.

19. OwenBoltMeany

OwenBoltMeany BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Pretty funny.

The claim is made that nepotism is the Chargers' demise.

The facts reveal that nepotism is a an NFL-wide phenomenom.

Then the claim is made that "well, coaching is different" than FO nepotism.

Then the discussion points out that many other FO's are nepotistic.

I can't wait for the next phase. I will be sorely disappointed if it doesn't include further, meaningless, differentiations to prove that somehow, SD nepotism is worse than other-city nepotism.

Maybe because SD is nearer the ocean? And therefore nepotism is more catchy?

20. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143

Just because someone writes an article under the title Nepotism Football League and then makes reference to coaches doesn’t make his argument fact. What it DOES do, is show that someone can write an article and misuse a word (nepotism) and people will fall for it without ever actually knowing what the word really means.

nepotism - the practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

The key phrase is “those with power and influence”. That doesn’t include a coach. They can be sacked by the owner at any time for any reason. Only the boss/owner has full power and influence.

Good ownership will hire the best qualified person to coach and allow them full reign to pick their subordinates, since it’s their head on the chopping block. If a HC believes it’s one of his relatives, then so be it. He will live and die by his results anyway. Once again it appears the owners meddled their way in when Marty wanted to hire his son, using the BS excuse of nepotism. What? So they could fire Marty but not his son?? Again to me it shows clear mismanagement. How much say does Tom Telesco really have when he has to deal with little Johnny and little Micky Spanos?

A quick google search of those teams mentioned in this thread shows there is no nepotism with the Mara’s, Hunt’s or Glazer’s. Only Dallas, whose entire front office is made up of Jones, and the Steelers rival San Diego’s nepotism.

Steelers…

Daniel M. Rooney, Chairman
    Arthur J. Rooney II, President
    Arthur J. Rooney Jr., Vice President
    Daniel Martin Rooney, Coaching Assistant
    Dan Rooney Jr., Player Personnel Coordinator

Chargers…

A.G. Spanos - President - Business Operations
    Dean A. Spanos - Chairman of the Board
    Michael A. Spanos - Vice Chairman
    John Spanos - President - Football Operations
    Michael Spanos II - Salary Cap & Personnel Assistant

You’ll note that only the Chargers and Cowboys put their siblings in charge of scouting and football operations. Pretty sure Jerry Jones only took over scouting when he parted ways with Jimmy Johnson. It was in Johnsons contract to be in control of personnel. I think it may have been one of the reasons why he left IIRC. Needless to say on the field, the Cowboys have been in steady decline and mired in mediocrity ever since.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    Just did a quick search on the Browns at the Bengals, since I knew they were descendants from the Cleveland Browns. There's a few Browns in that organisation but again none are involved in scouting or football operations.

22. OwenBoltMeany

OwenBoltMeany BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    This is a truly misguided post.

You really think that the author of that article didn't know what "nepotism" means? Come on.

And then you post a link to some generic definition? News flash: I'd wager that most everyone on here, like that author, and like his editors, knows EXACTLY what that term means. In other words -- no you are not smarter than everyone else.

The idea that nepotism can't apply to coaches is absurd. You really think every coach named Shula, Gruden, Belichick, Ryan, etc. would have had those opportunites if their last names were different? Schottenheimer?

You say that NFL head coaches can't engage in nepotism because they have no power, or influence. That take is nuts.

If your point is that front office nepotism is the Chargers' problem alone, so be it. But the concept of nepotism in general most surely applies to many or even most NFL teams.

23. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    I think you'll find nepotism applies to nearly all businesses too. Certainly family businesses...so don't stop short and think its the domain of the NFL (as once again, the article might imply).

Its when nepotism creeps in to functional areas which are not the areas of expertise of said owners that it becomes mismanagement.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    wasnt Marty fired because he wanted his brother as the defensive coordinator and was told no.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. woodeye

woodeye Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Nepotism
    Yes
    Daughter of the Spani
    With the hyphenated name
    Is next
    After John gives it a shot...

#A$$ 9

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  26. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +532
    In San Diego, the nepotism is tied to the owner. That variety is, in fact, different than other forms. Coaches can be fired. Front office personnel can be fired. Owners cannot be fired. So if an owner or relative of an owner becomes involved in football ops, and they happen to be really bad at it, then you're screwed. They won't be fired.

What about this are you struggling with?

27. ShowYourBolts

ShowYourBolts Offering free samples.

Ratings:
    +114
    Yes, hiring hot headed lil John to run things certainly was.

28. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I'd bet that most of us, if we had a billion dollar company, would want our kids to take over, provided that they worked (hard) their way up from the bottom. It has been said many times that the Spanos kids did that

EDIT: The problem arraises when those kids porve to be bad at their job

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. OwenBoltMeany

OwenBoltMeany BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    With the notion that only the Chargers show nepotism.

That a guy like Belichick's nepotism doesn't matter, because he's "just" a coach. He's much more than that.

30. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +532
    I don't know where you got the idea that this is only a Chargers problem. The Cowboys have the same issue. Their ownership controls football ops.

But that level of nepotism is different and more dangerous. Even Belichick could and would be fired if he began to stink and bring about a prolonged losing trend.

Owners cannot be fired. That changes everything. There's no accountability for John if he's terrible at his job. The team just gets stuck with a terrible President of Football Ops because his dad owns the team. I'm sure you can see how this is different from a coach hiring his kid to be the OC.