1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

New Banner

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ride The Lightning, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Great job, love it, but really Conc, Castillo? He doesn't belong up there with all those other Chargers greats. Jammer is also a bit of a stretch, but even I think he's better than Luis.

Why don't ya remove him and add Winslow?

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I guess the object lesson here is when you make the banner you can pick who does and does not deserve to be on it... :)

As of now there are no planned changes. Speak with the administration if you feel strongly about it though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Let's just hope that there isn't any bad luck that with being on the banner. :icon_eek:

4. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Well looking at it the theme is 1 current player and 1 player from the past. I don't see anything wrong with Jammer, he's one of our best players on defense, probably the best right now (Merriman could be better if he regains form). Maybe Gates instead of Castillo? But I don't really have a problem with Castillo.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    IN MY OPINION Castillo is arguably one of the best, young 3-4 DE's in the league. They are supposed to block running lanes. They dont get a lot of sacks, that is not their job. They must be strong at the point of attack and are aligned in most cases head-up on an offensive tackle. First and foremost, they must control run gaps. That is what Castillo does, in my opinion he does it well. Is it a Bling-Bling postion, nope.

If people have a strong reaction to what is on the banners, I would discuss it with the site administration. :tup:

6. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Oh, you're gonna go that way? The good old "you think you can do better?" route? C'mon man, don't get all buttthurt again because of some constructive criticism.

I'm not looking to show you up or anything, I think the banner is great, I just don't think Castillo, a personal favorite of yours, deserves to be on there. I'd take Jackson off too.

No one has ever asked me to make a banner or any other graphic for the site, it's always sorta been your job by default Conc, and I'm not looking to step on your toes dude.
    He's your favorite, it's cool. I wouldn't add someone like Kassim to the banner tho just cause I think he's a cool guy.

If you wanna argue "bling-bling" position, why not add Louie Keltcher or one of the other old school Rig of Hnor Chargers? That's a weak excuse to put your guy on the banner.

I think you totally got the idea right of putting multiple era Chargers up there.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931

While I really like the banner, i really don't agree that Castillo is one of the best young DEs in the lague. Based on his level of play as well as lack of ability to perform, I don't think that's an accurate statement

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Educate me then...

9. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Absolutely not, and you're missing my point along the way. I was trying to make a suggestion, not trying to be an *** about it, and you come back with a very snarky remark. How am I supposed to take it?

I'm not trying to be a dick dude, but it seems like you think that's ALL I'm ever trying to do.

edit: LOL, I see someone beat me to it (tho thread has been closed), so don't act like I'm alone in this thought: http://s42761.gridserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21838
    also, in this thread, one person says Castillo (and only in relation to a contract extension), and one other to take a jab at Conc: http://s42761.gridserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21793

10. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Yeah, whatever indeed. This always happens whenever someone questions you Conc.

Sorry if I ruined your day, it was not my intention.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    1. He doesn't have the stats to suggest he is one of the best young DEs and even if the role is different for a 3-4 DE, there would be something in the stats to suggest it. Compare Castillo with Ty Warren, Chris Canty and Richard Seymour (when they were part of a 3-4), and Aaron Smith (who I think was the best 3-4 DE of the last few years).

2. I don't see Castillo win one-on-one battles very often with either guards or tackles. Yes the 3-4 DE is supposed to swallow up blockers but (and this is a problem throughout the defense) Castillo doesn't win battles one-on-one in very many individual battles

3. Injury history - he is constantly injured and has yet to play a full season. Can't be one of hte best out there if your not on hte field.

Just three points in my observations of him. He's a decent young player, and I don't doubt his heart or the fact he has talent. But the statement that he's one of hte best DEs out there is debatable

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Show me the stats you are looking at.

How many times do you actully watch the line play to see if the battles are won or lost, or is it the highlights and replay that you weigh in on. Whuch is fine, but I recall several times Castillo is making tackles even on the opposite side of the line. Are you also weighing in the changes along the line due to injuries?

Really? Lets see 2009 14 games started. Not a lot of games missed there. 2008 15 games started. Not a lot of games missed there. 10 games in 2007 and 6. Borderline granted. But I think that your perception does not at all meet reality. Fact is the linemen on both sides of the ball commonly miss games during the season. It is the nature of their job.

We will have to agree to disagree. :tup:

13. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=8443

Stats on Castillo

and I watch some of the game focusing on him and I do watch highlights. Sometimes he does make plays, no question. But I don't think he does it enough to warrant being 'one of the best young DEs'.

Agree to disagree is cool on that one.

I just assume its artist preference in putting Castillo up there, but come on you knew someone was going to say something when there's Alworth, Fouts, Seau, Rivers.....Castillo? :lol: One of these guys is not like hte other :icon_tease:

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :lol:

15. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    This thread sucks.

16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Conc-

Love the banner. You made it, put anyone you want on it. :tup:

(Though I wish Gates was on it too, but I won't complain. kthxbye)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Nice work Conc... :tup:

To bad Gates didn't make it... :bolt: :flag:

18. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Gates will be gone after is contract is up. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I have been saying for a long time. Castillo is average at best. I keep expecting him to get stronger or better in some way but.....I'm still waiting. I agree with all of the above. I like him. I think he's smart and articulate and he loves being a Charger heart and soul....but he still could be a lot better:lol:

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Where the hell are Ron Billingsly and Leon Burns?

21. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I LOVE IT! Great job Conc! :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  22. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I think you should put pictures of all of us on there. **** the players.

23. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Sorry for those of you that don't like that Castillo is in the new banner. Conc worked very hard on this and I think he did a great job.

We have future planes to integrate all the graphics on this site and the banner will likely change again at that time. However, right now those future plans are in a holding pattern, so get used to this banner. It's going to be here or a while.

Thank you all for your support and participation on this forum. If any of you would like to contribute further and even have a voice in the decisions we make, free to send me a PM. We can always use your help in our attempts to make this the best Chargers forum on the web.

24. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    RYAN LEAF!!! PLEAZE PUT HIM ON IT WITH EPIC FAIL ON HIS FACE!!!:icon_rofl:

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I think it's great!!! Nice work, Conc!!

As for the choices... I'm glad to see Humphries on there as well as Jammer. Though I have to ask... since we have former Chargers and retired Chargers, why not LT?

26. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    He hasn't retired yet and it'd be a little weird to have him up there when he's playing for another team. When he decides to retire then definitely he deserves to be up there.

27. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    All in all it looks great. Nice job:tup:

28. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,422
    Awesome work on the banner, Conc

29. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I'm diggin the banner as a display of great Chargers, but when I saw Castillo I was left scratching my head a little. My wondering about Castillo aside, good work on putting that together!

30. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Guess you will have to change the banner when they cut Castillo's *** eventually.:icon_rofl:

No Gates, Winslow, or even Don Coryell??? :unsure: