1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

New CBA deal in the works?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Report: Deal could come within two or three weeks
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 14, 2011, 11:57 AM EDT

Over the weekend, Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal reported via Twitter the existence of an expectation that a framework for a labor deal could come in two weeks.

Now, Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports that sources on both sides of the dispute said Tuesday that a deal could be struck in the next two to three weeks.

From a marketing and P.R. standpoint, we think there’s tremendous value in trying to announce a new deal on the Wednesday or Thursday before the three-day Fourth of July weekend. That would require the agreement to be reached in 15 or 16 days.

Several of you have asked for a full explanation of the steps from the two sides reaching an agreement in principle to establishing a full-blown Collective Bargaining Agreement. We’ll provide a flow chart later today.

<<<------------------------>>>​

The return of the lawyers
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 14, 2011, 12:47 PM EDT

The good news is that the talks between the NFL and the NFLPA* are continuing.

The bad news, possibly, is that the lawyers have returned to the room.

Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, Jeffrey Kessler and Jim Quinn are representing the players, and Jeff Pash and Bob Batterman are present on behalf of the owners.

Schefter regards the development as a sign that the talks are becoming more detailed. Still, given the fact that the lawyers in the past have driven the parties apart, their presence could potentially screw things up.

Hopefully, the principals have applied a short, tight leash to this quartet of courthouse curmudgeons. If not, the challenge of keeping the peace suddenly has become far more delicate.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I will not be holdin my breath....

3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    the Lawyers have been told that if they want to get paid, there has to be a season. I expect to hear something within the next week.

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    wish you would

:icon_tease:

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Et tu Grampay? Et tu?

6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I thought you didn't have any O2 flowing to the brain anyway :)

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    pffft... O2 is over rated...

8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    CO2 on the other hand, that sheet's goooood

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Keeps things nice and toasty. ;)

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    A lawyer has to follow the wishes of the client. We are taught that the client handles overall strategy and goal, the lawyer works on the tactics. As such if both sides have come to the agreement to settle this, then the lawyers are bound to put the nuts and bolts together. If both sides have agreed on the framework then the lawyers would be there to fill in the details - which is a good thing

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Hey ant... is that before or after they go on a frenzy because there is blood in the water?

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Assuming, that things were far enough along, so the lawyers won't throw a monkey wrench in the works. ;)

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    the frenzy part already passed IMHO, especially after the players lost their momentum in court and the time when both sides start losing money draws near.

Lawyers can not under Rules of Ethics and Professional Responsibility go against the wishes of the client, even when the wishes of the client goes against what is their 'best interest'. Example I've always run into in the criminal field; you have the constitutional right to testify in your defense, even if the attorney begs and pleads for you to sit down and shut up. You want on the stand, you go on the stand. Now the lawyer can direct you and get you to tell your story in a specific way but you as the client can get up there and say whatever you want. Same goes with plea bargaining, if its a bad deal to the attorney but the client wants it, the client gets what they want. That's how its supposed to be.

re: blue bolt
    Lawyers can't sabotage negotiations, they can and do offer their opinions of course but are not allowed to knowingly sabotage hearings that are against the wishes of their client. If the main points of the plan are already in place, and the nuts and bolts are being worked on, its doubtful there's something big enough to screw things up

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Depends on what stage the negotiations are at...... #imjustsaying ;)

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Freeman: Some believe deal could come “within a matter of days”
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 14, 2011, 6:09 PM EDT

Well, the good news keeps getting better.

Just as I was prepared to write an item predicting that a new labor deal will be announced on June 30, our good friend Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com has reported that some of the parties in the negotiations believe an agreement could be reached “within a matter of days.”

Freeman also reports that 80 to 85 percent of the next labor deal has been negotiated, and that the entire process has become very cordial, with smiles, handshakes, and smalltalk.

“It’s going to be very difficult for this to get screwed up,” a source “with intimate knowledge of the discussions” told Freeman.

For now, I’ll stick with the June 30 prediction. And if that prediction is wrong because the date selected is a week or two too late, then I don’t wanna be right.

16. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    I still think they will work it out about July 2, 2012.

17. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I'm as hopeful now as I ever have been, they can still do a full season if they announce 7/2

18. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    You mean 2011?

19. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    Nope, I am a pessimist by nature.

20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    ...and whether corpsie's involved ;)

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Or any lawyer, for that matter......... (despite AnteaterCharger's claims to the contrary) ;)

The lawyers get the boot, again
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 15, 2011, 11:04 AM EDT

When reports emerged on Tuesday that the lawyers had re-entered the negotiations between the NFL and NFLPA*, some saw it as good news. Though we recognize that, at some point, lawyer involvement will be necessary to turn the terms of a business deal into the wherefores, heretofores, and hereinafters of a formal settlement agreement, we instantly feared that bringing the lawyers back into the bargaining process would be the equivalent of parking a pack of pit bulls in a meat locker and whispering, “Stay.”

Our instincts, for a change, were right. According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the lawyers nearly “blew up the process” on Tuesday. Ultimately, NFLPA* executive director DeMaurice Smith was compelled to instruct Jeffrey Kessler and Jim Quinn to “stand down.”

And so the lawyers are once again out. What will happen when they inevitably return remains to be seen.

At some point, it makes sense to wonder whether the client will hire new lawyers. Or whether the lawyers will find new clients.

With so much riding on getting this deal done, it may not be a bad thing.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm with Shakespeare.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I'm with Stupid.

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
  25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yes you are. :p

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    NFL, NFLPA* say talks will continue
    Posted by Michael David Smith on June 15, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT

The NFL and the NFLPA* said this afternoon that their talks will continue. And that’s all they said.

In a joint statement released Wednesday, both sides confirmed that negotiations are ongoing, but they also said they will offer no comments about the substance of the negotiations.

“Discussions between NFL owners and players under the auspices of Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan took place again this week and will continue,” the statement said. “At the request of Judge Boylan, both sides have agreed to maintain the confidentiality of the substance of the talks.”

The NFL also confirmed that the people in attendance from their side were Roger Goodell, Jerry Richardson, Clark Hunt, Robert Kraft, John Mara and Dean Spanos. The NFLPA* confirmed that the people in attendance from their side were Kevin Mawae, Jeff Saturday, Tony Richardson, Domonique Foxworth, Brian Waters and DeMaurice Smith.

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So are you callin Beth Stupid... She will kick you in the nads!

28. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    As long as they keep meeting and talking (and supposedly things are far less tense and confrontational) then there's hope

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Whaaaaa......?!?!?!?! Don't you go playing spin doctor with me. I'm scared of our wives. :p

Just keep talking & keep the mouthpieces outta the room until it's absolutely necessary. Then give them strict marching orders & treat them like indentured servants.

30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'm still holding out hope for a meltdown in negotiations, I'd like to see what the UFL could do with a little more exposure. Send in an army of attorneys and let them have at, litigation baby that what I want to see.