1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

New City Ordinance Has Charger Fans Burning up

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The City of San Diego has made a decision to ban smoking at Qualcomm Stadium. Now yesterday I spoke with a long time Charger fan who was immensely upset with the Chargers for banning smoking. This puzzled me as I was unaware that it was a Charger decision.

I did some looking into things and found out that indeed the Chargers are just tenants at Qualcomm Stadium, that it is the City of San Diego that controls the stadium and sets the rules and regulations such as the elimination of the smoking areas.

In an article by Mathew T. Hall of the Union Tribune (http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/aug/25/smoking-areas-stadium-eliminated/?metro), Chargers Director of Public Relations, Bill Johnson was unaware of the new policy when asked about it after the preseason game against the Seattle Seahawks. He later released an e-mail stating “This year the City asked that the Chargers as a stadium tenant adhere to the ordinance and eliminate designated smoking areas inside the stadium and we agreed.

Now, I have been told that during the preseason games fans have been fined up to $136.00 for violating the policy. This is understandably frustrating for those fans that are used to smoking during breaks in the games.

Qualcomm Stadium manager Mike McSweeney said that the ban came because of the number of people who were smoking in non-designated areas, and the fact that the cigarette smoke would filter into the stadium plaza level causing numerous complaints. This is also not a new idea; San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders has been calling for a ban of smoking at the Q since 2006.

Though I am not a smoker, I can understand the frustration and anger, especially given the lack of information put out by the City of San Diego. In fact, according to the City Attorney’s office, such a ban does not require a public hearing or council vote. Such information makes the conspiracy theorist in me wonder if they City didn’t hope to make some much needed money off of the hapless smokers at Qualcomm Stadium.

McSweeney is confident that regardless of any outcry the issue will not be reconsidered.

So don’t smoke at the Q, it could be the most expensive cigarette you have. Also be sure to target your frustration accordingly, it is not the tenants, (the Chargers) who banned smoking. It is the City of San Diego that did this, and then neglected to properly announce it.

2. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    At a time when they should be finding ways to put people into the stands, they are going to make it where more people wont go, If they do that why don’t they increase the TV Blackout mileage range!

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Are you speaking of the Chargers or the City? It is the City that banned smoking.

As a resident of Riverside county, who lives more than 75 miles away from the stadium, and WHO IS blacked out, I think the blackout range is already too far!

4. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I'm not saying a thing.:grindteeth:

5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    The City!!!!!!!!!!

And if we can get enough people mad at them, then maybe they would change that stupid rule!

I know its not the Chargers! And for the record I do not smoke. But this has to be by far one of the most idiotic things they can do at a time like this.

OR............

The City is playing hardball with the Chargers over the whole idea of the Chargers moving out of the stadium.

6. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Eh or Mayor Sanders hates smokers, they've been trying to ban it for a while. Glad I don't smoke otherwise I'd be pissed.

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    There aren't very many venues that allow smoking. I would think they would however make some accommodation for the smokers outside the stadium with the ability to re-enter.

But either way, this is noting new in this day and age

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :yes:

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Perhaps, but fining people up to $136 for a poorly publicized ordinance IS SOMETHING!