1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

New deal coming soon after all?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    NFL spokesman: Negotiators not taking the weekend off
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 2, 2011, 3:14 PM EDT

The negotiators from the NFL and NFLPA* have retreated to their respective camps for the weekend, but NFL spokesman Greg Aiello wants to remind fans (and media) that they are “most definitely not” taking the weekend off from work.

“Lawyers are drafting language for potential agreement, sharing it with PA. All kinds of phone, email exchanges going on. Work continues,” Aiello wrote on Twitter.

Perhaps the league was sensitive to the idea they were all relaxing over the holiday. While we already knew that wasn’t true and nothing can replace face-to-face talks, it is still a good message to get out to fans, especially the ones working (or lightly working in my case) over the holiday weekend.

As Florio mentioned Friday, there is still at least a possibility things could wrap up with a big push in the negotiations next week. It sounds like both sides are at least attempting to maintain some momentum from Thursday night’s session through the weekend.

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Being the National Football League and all, they really should take this Holiday off. In fact they should just chill till the end of the summer, say till about mid November.

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    [​IMG]

4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    But I called it on the 4th... ;/

And that deadline is deffinatly starting to look premature as many before.

5. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I do believe this photo favors you to the tee.

6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Owners - "Blah."

Players - "Blah, blah."

Owners & Lawyers - "Blah, blah, blah, blah blah. So sue me, blah."

Arbitrators - "Blah, pending more blah."

Sports Reporters and other pundits - "It's still so blah."

Fans - "WTF? Blah."

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Drafting labor agreements are not fluff and fold, lot of specifically chosen words in specific sections in specifically crafted order with definitions so no ******* can claim A actually means B. This is a slow process especially with so many cooks demanding the broth be made in a certain way. This will take time, no choice. I'm hoping they've made some good progress though this weekend, drafting the actual language.

If you want a positive way to look at this; you don't draft language for a contract or a labor agreement unless you basically have an agreement in place. This is not a "I'll paint your house for $50" page contract you can just throw out there. To employ lawyers on both sides to start drafting it means you know basically what the labor agreement will look like. That means they (probably Goddell and Smith) have come to an agreement on ALL MAJOR ISSUES and are putting it into a proposal. That means this week really is do or die.

8. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
  9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Letter to De Smith: Send your lawyers packing
    By Mike Freeman
    CBSSports.com National Columnist
    July 3, 2011

Dear DeMaurice Smith:

Hope this letter finds you well. I know you're busy. Something about a lockout. But take a second to read this. It'll be worth your time. Trust me. Ready? Here you go ...

Dump your lawyers.

Dump their asses.

Do it now.

Or at the very least, DeMaurice, restrain them, because what has become clear is Jeffrey Kessler and Jim Quinn are wielding far too much power, and they are using that power, in my opinion, to push their own agendas instead of the agendas of the players.

This is a basic truth you have to face: While the owners have not always been honest brokers, for the moment it's your lawyers who are holding up a deal. Your lawyers are standing in the way.

Now, I have to give credit, because the only journalist in the country previously beating the Kessler/Quinn drum has been Mike Florio of Profootballtalk.com. I used to think Florio was off his lawyer rocker, but he has been right all along based on interviews I've done with several NFLPA sources over the past few days.

These sources make it clear that overall, they like what Kessler and Quinn do. The two attorneys fight ferociously for the NFLPA, and there's no mistake, the owners have a significant tactical advantage. If owners stacked their bank accounts on top of one another, the pile of cash could reach the edge of our solar system. In previous years, Kessler and Quinn have successfully used the courts to provide an ample force field against this formidable wealth advantage. They deserve credit for that.

But they've gone too far. Like owners have previously, the NFLPA lawyers, I'm told, have been recently picking stupid fights over petty technical issues and arguing over who is going to pay for retiree benefits when the league has offered a fair 50-50 split. All of these arguments have delayed the negotiating process.

Owners believe -- and I think they're correct -- the two men want to delay a settlement as long as possible so they can propel the Brady antitrust lawsuit to the brink.

If this happened, an entire season would likely be lost and the sport plunged into chaos. Once that occurred, the players could push for an antitrust verdict in their favor that could reach billions. If this happened, the players would then own a part of the NFL. This is ultimately the dream scenario for Kessler and Quinn.

This would be good for Kessler and Quinn -- see: hours, billable -- but horrible for the NFL. A missed season would be a disaster.

You've experienced some of your own frustration with the lawyers, DeMaurice. During one particularly fiery negotiating session with the owners, you told your lawyers to "stand down." Lawyers from both sides have at times been kicked out of the room.

The late Gene Upshaw would handle the lawyers differently. He'd allow them to drive talks to a certain point, then extricate them from the process when they became a problem. Then Upshaw took over himself and a deal got done.

Maybe you're planning the same, DeMaurice, but now is the time for you to lessen their influence. Not later. More important, you can emerge the hero from this ugly mess.

If a deal is done because you sparked talks and pushed the lawyers aside, the new collective bargaining agreement would be called the CDA: the Collective DeMaurice Agreement. There'd be parades down Main Street in your honor.

DeMaurice, when you meet with the owners, you are often the smartest man in the room. You have a law degree yourself. Don't let the owners push you around, but don't allow the lawyers to screw this up, either.

Reign them in. Keep their own selfish interests -- see: hours, billable -- from impacting the interests of the players.

You are one of the sport's gatekeepers. Remember that if the lawyers keep up the nonsense.

Dump 'em.

Thanks for listening.

Mike

11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I see you are kinda "Blah" today

12. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Dumping of lawyers?

Quite the opposite:
    Lawyers to work on language

By Chris Mortensen
    ESPN

Negotiations between the NFL and NFL players resume Tuesday in New York but the first two days are designated for work done by both sides' lawyers, primarily on the language of a potential agreement.

There is no expectation that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith will be participating together in the talks until Thursday and Friday when the lead negotiating teams resume their face-to-face discussions.

Sources on both sides continue to maintain that there remains significant work to be completed after negotiations almost disintegrated last week before "getting back on track." The same sources say that an agreement is within reach but unlikely to be achieved this week.

However, the attorneys' work on language is aimed at an expedited finishing process in the event the two sides do strike an agreement, which appears to be more likely next week.

Both sides agree that negotiations are delicate and potentially fragile.

Training camps start at the end of the month, with the preseason-opening Hall of Fame Game scheduled Aug. 7 between the Chicago Bears and St. Louis Rams. Even missing an exhibition game or two would begin to really cost the league money, not to mention testing the faith of the fans that have made this sport so big.

Hall of Fame president Steve Perry told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio on Tuesday that the Hall of Fame Game is still on track. Perry said the Bears and Rams have both told the Hall of Fame they plan to play in the game, but to do so both teams would have to begin training camp the third week in July -- which means the labor negotiators are cutting it extremely close.
    Chris Mortensen is ESPN's senior NFL analyst. Information from ESPN national correspondent Sal Paolantonio and The Associated Press was used in this report.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    So here's what has likely occurred

Smith and Goodell have set up the framework for what an agreement will look like
    They went to the lawyers on both sides, told them what they want it to look like and said draft it
    Lawyers on both sides working together and drafting it
    On Thursday/Friday Goodell and Smith will review it and see if it matches what they want
    The next week both will go to their sides for a vote on the matter

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Depends on your perspective:

Talks continue today, with skeleton crew
    Posted by Mike Florio on July 5, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT

Last Thursday, when it appeared that the labor negotiations were teetering on the brink of implosion, U.S. Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan got the parties refocused, keeping them around until after 1:00 a.m. ET.

By all counts, significant progress was made.

But the following morning included a fairly short session, with limited (and that’s a stretch) actual negotiations. Then, the parties shut down the face-to-face talks for the Fourth of July weekend, leaving the lawyers to try to hash out the paperwork that eventually would be signed and submitted to the federal court in Minnesota if/when a settlement is reached.

Though the process of drafting the documents is critical, especially in light of the various player-friendly terms the pre-asterisked NFLPA slipped through the league’s five hole in 2006, haggling over specific contents of the CBA is irrelevant until there’s a consensus on the big issues.

Today, the talks resume with only the lawyers, who will be working directly on the wherefores and heretofores and hereinafters and hereinbeforetofores. It previously was believed that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and NFLPA* executive director DeMaurice Smith would be present. Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that they won’t return until Thursday.

At this critical juncture, that’s unfortunate. At a minimum, the leaders of the respective camps should be supervising their schools of blue-suited sharks, especially in light of the growing belief that the players’ lawyers want nothing more than to fire a bullet into the 2011 season’s oxygen tank.

Bottom line? This deal won’t get done until the key figures are present. And with the key figures not scheduled to return for 48 more hours, here’s hoping that they’re willing to spend the bulk of the ensuing 48 hours on putting this thing to bed.

15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    it would not break my heart if the entire preseason was cancelled and we went straight into the season.

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Or, maybe it is close after all?........ ;)

Silver: NFL, players “closer to an agreement than many people realize”
    Posted by Mike Florio on July 5, 2011, 2:10 PM EDT

As the optimism-pessimism rollercoaster continues to climb and fall only to climb and fall again, one of last week’s Debbie Downers has us all hearing the clickety-clack of the car that is approaching the top of the hill.

Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports, in an excellent but very long column that doesn’t mesh well with adult ADD, writes in the third paragraph that the league and the players are “closer to an agreement than many people realize.” In fact, Silver says that a deal is closer “perhaps than even some of the people involved realize.”

We mention this because we’ve heard that a deal truly is close. Or at least that a deal was close after midnight in Minnesota last Thursday night/Friday morning — and that a deal could have quickly been completed if the parties had continued to meet until a deal was done.

What we don’t know is whether Tuesday’s negotiations, which surely began after Silver’s latest item was filed, will change the complexion of the talks for the worse. And so there’s a chance that, just as the late-night session on Thursday trumped much of Silver’s excellent look at the schism between the parties, intervening events will soon have us all screaming down the next drop.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It would not break my heart if the NFL ceased to exist.

18. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    If the lawyers are drafting language then all that is left is to vote on it, so its not that a deal is close but that its done and has to be decided on

19. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    instead of

"GOT RINGS'

how about

"GOT LEAGUE"

20. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Mike Silver is as slimy and narrow minded as any journalist you'll find.

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    So, he should understand how these lawyers worth then, right? ;)

22. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Good point. :lol:

23. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    One, two, three...

KICK US IN THE GENITALS AGAIN:

Report: Progress is slow, again | ProFootballTalk

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Then why do you still post on an NFL team's fan website?

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He is better than idiots like Kevin Acee, at least he was good enough and respected enough to write for a legit news source, not the garbage UT which Acee will always be stuck at because he has zero journalistic integrity and just kisses teh *** of the person he covers the most (AJ)

26. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928

They do this every so often to temper some expectations, but if the lawyers are writing it, it's much closer then people think. This is another annoying attempt to 'maintain' leverage.

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It's a stop along the way through my daily list.

I could get over the loss of the game. I'm richer for the few good friends I've made here. That keeps me dropping by.

If the NFL plays, they play. I'll talk about it. Right now I just don't have much interest in saying nice things about a pissy shoving match over obscene amounts of money.

28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    this X the power of a thousand suns

29. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The NFL and the NFLPA can both fold and it would be no sweat off my back. We aren't talking pipe-fitters or brick masons fighting for a buck or two. These folks are rich, and look to get richer off the fans backs. I say screw em, bring on the new league and let's watch some good old fashion football.

30. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Where else can you aregue the stupidest things with people you hardly know?

That gets you beat up in the real world!

:lol: