1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

New Florence exudes aura of confidence

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Link

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 10, 2007

There was a time when Drayton Florence would hardly acknowledge Antonio Cromartie's presence as anything more than happenstance.
    A year – not at all coincidentally a year that encompassed his best season in the NFL – has changed Florence.

He now speaks freely of the oh-so-gifted Cromartie, going as far as to say he has benefited from the kid pushing him – and then going even further.

One recent afternoon, he complimented Cromartie's work ethic, noted how good a camp Cromartie is having, and then he said, “I wish I had his talent.”

This is the new Florence.

So quick to defend himself in the past, so sensitive to slights, he now speaks with an easy self-assurance. He is clearly at ease.

Florence has become a player, and he knows it.

That conviction, however, is not spoken. It is simply exuded.

This is what happens when someone steps up to a challenge, holds off the young buck and holds on to a job.

It was just last September that Cromartie was poised to take over the starting job at right cornerback. Florence was the starter, but the two were essentially sharing time. Then Cromartie made some mistakes, and Florence played more consistently than ever.

The best thing that happened to Drayton Florence is Antonio Cromartie,” safety Marlon McCree said. “Competition brings out the best in everybody. He knows he's got that young stallion behind him. He knows he doesn't have a lot of room to make mistakes. That made him grow up.”

Click the link for the rest.

2. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Nice article which i read elsewhere. Looks like Florence is going to remain the #1 guy but it is really great to read how much better Cro is getting. I also heard that Cro said he wasnt close to being 100% last season and is this year.

Cro is going to be damn good in time.

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    NuFlo?

:icon_rofl:

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    or FloMax!

5. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Florence is still an idiot.

6. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Aunt Flo :icon_rofl:

7. o-line protagonist

o-line protagonist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Ding ding, we have a winner.

I have no love for D-Flo after the boob busting play he made last year. Many point to others on the squad for the ultimate dismissal of our team in the playoffs. I tend to think his actions sent the end-game-machine into action.

Nonetheless, I hope the guy can help this team this year. We will need all the help we can get. This is not an easy schedule.

It's a new season, I try not to think about last year or any year. That's my credo and I'm sticking to it. Until I decide not to.:lol:

8. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Talent is only part of the game...Smarts and discipline are two very important aspects of the game that are often over looked. They can't be measured via stop watch and are often no physical...

DFLO lost discipline bigtime and probably led to a Charger playoff loss.

TBF

9. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Florence has made more than 1 bonehead move. I don't expect this to change. He also can't seem to up his level of play when it really matters. His hands are poor as well... dude drops 3-4 potential INTs every year.

10. captaind

captaind Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Once a DFlop, always a DFlop.

That's not an aura of confidence....he just remembered to put on his deodorant. Lot of good that will do him.

11. o-line protagonist

Ratings:
    +10
    I'd like to think that little **** head has learned from last year...not to mention Cro creeping up his arse is fuel to light the fire under the proverbial bung hole.:bolt:

12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Yeah, the part about Cro creeping was evident in the article. I don't give a shiit what D-flo says right now... I just want the dude to show up and make a difference when it counts. No matter how well he plays in the pre-season, he's on a very short leash I'm sure.

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I would hate to be that dude and having to be reminded of what an idiot he was on that play.

I blame Marty as well for not scaring the **** out of these guys into not doing stupid ****.

14. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: amen:yes:

15. o-line protagonist

Ratings:
    +10
    Who is to say that Marty didn't do that though...and I'm not trying to dredge up old stuff here, but a coach can only coach so much. Eventually the player has got to be responsible for his own actions on the field of play.

I say screw it and lets have a :icon_toast: to a great upcoming season!:bolt:

16. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    isn't that why they make them DBs in stead of WRS:lol:
    This season is his job interview for his next paycheck, I hope he has a very good one.:icon_toast:

17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I'll belive it when I see it on the field against a good opposing offense.

Friggin' stupid headbutter

18. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    If the players know that the coach will run a train up their asses if the screw up, they are less likely to blow it. I am not sure Marty had them by the balls because one got shot, another ran purple lean cough syrup, fighting with the cops, etc etc etc.

The players at some point have to held accountable but the head butt that dude did should have illicited warning signs that the coach would rip his colon out with his teeth before he even did it.

To me, it just stands to reason.

19. o-line protagonist

Ratings:
    +10
    Well, that is a sound theory, however it hasn't worked for Marvin Lewis, nor Jeff Fischer, nor Lovey Smith...and the list could go on. Bottom line is that eventually the guys who are making the millions maybe need to wake the fucup and realize that this is a once in a lifetime shot. [ pun intended for ***-can] I mean wtf ?
    Purple Dank deserved what he got, I hope he gets his **** back together. It's a shame to waste that kind of talent, regardless of what we think, it's the f 'n NFL man, that has to stand for something.

20. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    This is gonna be Brees/Rivers all over again...

21. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    D-Flo is PrimeTime this year... Pro Bowl... :yes:

22. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Brees sucks. :yes:

:icon_tease:

23. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    I love FLO... :icon_mrgreen: He's got a great birthday too.... AND... he's gonna have a great year... :yes:

Better bookmark this post so I can bring it back later...

24. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    1-3 versus AFC teams last year. And that one win was versus the lowly Browns.

25. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    i dont see how you could blame the playoff loss on dflo, considering hes not the only player on the team who messed up. how bout EP? how bout rivers? how bout mccree? how bout schottenheimer? quite honestly, nobody came out to play the way they should have, but who cares, whats done is done, were takin it this year, and i think dflo is gunna have a pretty good season (compared to last year) considering his job may be on the line.

26. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    The people with blind hatred of Flo are in for a long year. I just hope he doesn't sign in the AFC west if he leaves.

27. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The Flo and Cro show is about to take the field. Soon we can all untwist our knickers and be happy that we have the best guy on the field when Bear season opens and then the talking heads can quit being such drama queens when we stare at their mugs on the pregame shows. We have a scary team. The NFL doesn't really know it yet, but something evil this way comes you bastards.

28. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    While mistakes were plentiful and all contributed to the loss, only Florence's blunder is unforgivable. Every other mistake came from effort and were about lack of execution, something that every athlete has been guilty of.

Drayton's penalty was the the result of his immaturity and selfishness at being man-handled by Graham on the play. In a moment putting his personal "macho" interests ahead of the teams he cost us dearly.

That's the difference in my book.

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    To a man, every single one of our players, and especially Dflo must have kicked themselves in the *** a million times since that fateful day.
    This team either does it on the field this year or it don't. There will be little room for excuses if they fail in the mission before them, Win the damn Lombardi!!!!!!!!!!!:bolt: :icon_toast: