1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

New Mock Draft Results

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AnteaterCharger, Apr 14, 2009.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    NFLDRAFTCOUNTDOWN

16 SAN DIEGO CHARGERS: BRIAN CUSHING, ILB, USC
    Lately it’s been difficult to predict what the Chargers will do in round one because they really don’t have many glaring holes. In fact, you can make the case that top to bottom no team in the league is as well stocked as San Diego. With that said no team is perfect and there are definitely some areas where the Chargers could stand to improve. Inside linebacker is a perfect example because even though they have some solid players and just signed Kevin Burnett they lack a true impact performer. Southern Cal Trojans Brian Cushing will most likely come off the board somewhere in the middle of round one and while he played outside linebacker in college he'd most likely project inside in a 3-4 scheme. After losing Igor Olshansky as a free agent San Diego could be in the market for a defensive end and Tyson Jackson would make a lot of sense if he was somehow still available. Keep an eye on running back too because LaDainian Tomlinson probably won't be around much longer and they could look to team either Knowshon Moreno or Chris “Beanie” Wells with the 5-6, 181 pound Darren Sproles
    Really REALLY not a fan of his. Too many injuries, not that major impact player, not great at any one thing. Rey Malauga and Michael Oher are both on the board here

78 SAN DIEGO CHARGERS: KRAIH URBIK, OG, WISCONSIN
    Blue-collar blocker to compete with Kynan Forney at right guard and provide depth.
    Some say he can play RT and did play tackle at Wisconsin, but could have had TJ Lang at this spot, Fenuki Tupoug, Jamon Merdith, etc. I don't think we are going to grab a guard.

DRAFTACE.com

16 Chargers Tyson Jackson Defensive End LSU
    Michael Oher would be tempting if he falls (he does), but Tyson Jackson is the safest choice for the Chargers. He's a perfect for the Chargers 3-4 defense and would ease the pain of losing Igor Olshansky to the Cowboys. Jacques Cesaire is penciled in as the starter opposite Luis Castillo for now, but is a major downgrade from the more physical Olshasky.
    Malauga is off the board, Oher is there. Lots of drafts have us taking him but I'm just not that interested in him frankly.

78. San Diego Dannell Ellerbe Inside Linebacker Georgia
    Very unimpressed with him, do not think he has what it takes

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    There are 4 elite OT's.
    There are 5 elite defensive players.
    There are 2 or 3 elite WR's.
    There are 2 elite RB's.
    Mixed in are 2 elite QB's.

Now consider all the trades and surprise picks that happen every year............I guarantee we will get one of these elite players. Names like Brian Cushing, Rey Maualuga, Andre Smith, Beanie Wells, Knowshon Moreno etc... One or more will be available at 16, so I hope to god we don't waste that pick on Tyson Jackson.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I don't believe Cushing to be 'elite' - Malauga can be, Smith has potential but I don't think Cushing or Matthews or the like are. Oher might be as well

And I agree, and I think there'll be quite a bit of trading butt hat might be to our advantage

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    By elite I kinda just ment the hot names, the guys who Kiper and McShay have leapfrogging eachother every other day for the best at their position.

And I wasn't including Mathews as elite, but I believe Cushing could be the next Brian Urlacher.