1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

New Mock Drafts and Charger picks

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AnteaterCharger, Apr 11, 2008.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft2.html
    NFLDRAFTCOUNTDOWN
    27. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
    KENTWAN BALMER
    DT | North Carolina | Scouting Report
    Looking at their depth chart it is somewhat difficult to pinpoint many glaring needs for the Chargers. Difficult but not impossible. Right tackle is definitely a concern and Gosder Cherilus would be a perfect fit for them if he lasted this long, but the odds of that happening seem to be getting worse by the day. At first glance the Chargers appear to be set along their defensive line but Igor Olshansky is due to become a free agent following the 2008 season, Luis Castillo has been unable to stay healthy and if anything were to happen to nose tackle Jamal Williams they would be in big trouble. Balmer is a bit of an underachiever but he is the consensus #3 defensive tackle and could even come off the board much earlier than this. With Drayton Florence leaving as a free agent the Bolts could probably use another corner to provide depth and one guy who they are said to like is Brandon Flowers. Also keep in mind that San Diego doesn't have either a 2nd or a 3rd round pick right now due to past trades so they might be looking to to move down.

http://www.draftace.com/draft2008/mockdraftround1.htm
    27 Chargers Jonathan Stewart Running Back Oregon
    Sure, they have arguably the best running back in football. However, Tomlinson is entering his 8th season in the league and no team understands the value of a great backup running back like the Chargers. Michael Turner has been that guy, but with "Burner Turner" in Atlanta, there's a huge hole opened up behind LT.

http://www.draftking.com/nfl/2008/mockdraft.shtml
    27. San Diego Chargers - Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina
    The most likely move for San Diego is to trade down. But, if they stick here, adding depth at defensive tackle makes sense, in particular with Balmer sliding to this spot.

Balmer is a somewhat risky pick, as he didn't come on huge until the 2007 season. He's not a nose tackle type, but as a backup he could be both an interesting change of pace on passing downs (since he is skilled at reaching the QB) and in general he would be a strong presence to add on the defensive line.

2. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    Balmer would be an upgrade over Igor but he will never develop into a star player. Best case scenario for Balmer is a slightly better than adequate NFL starter and he still has a long ways to go as he is still raw in many ways and needs lots of technique work and to improve his motor. He looks lazy out there on the field and that is not something you can coach so he has a high bust factor. IMO there is no way AJ drafts him at 27 overall. Balmer has a mid 3rd round grade from me. Some GM will be dumb enough to take him early but that will not be AJ.

3. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    HAY!

I have a question for your draft gurus... as I'm the "Gm" (LOL) for the Cowboys in our mock draft

How close, if at all, are the Girls in locking in Pacman Jones??? I need to know this to know if I need to pick WR, RB or CB for the first round. If it's still up in the air, I'll just forget about it and might go CB with my first pick.

Any info you have would be appreciated. :)

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    As far as I know the Cowboys are the only real team interested in Pacman but the Titans want a high second day pick (4th-5th) as opposed to the Cowboys' 7th and player offer. Unless someone comes in soon, the titans will have to take what the cowboys offer. My thought is that with that still ongoing and them having offensive requirements, unless you really find a corner that you think would work best for them, stick with offensive players

5. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Thanks ANT! :tup: