1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

New Orleans gets #10

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SDRaiderH8er, May 19, 2009.

1. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090519/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_nfl2013_super_bowl

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – New Orleans is a Super Bowl city again.

NFL owners voted Tuesday to play the 2013 Super Bowl in New Orleans, the first time the championship will be played there since Hurricane Katrina shredded parts of the Louisiana Superdome. The hurricane caused 1,600 deaths and devastated the Gulf Coast four years ago.

New Orleans beat out Miami, which sought a record 11th Super Bowl, and 2008 host Glendale, Ariz. This is the 10th time New Orleans will be the Super Bowl site.

"We're just thrilled about what's going on," Saints owner Tom Benson said. "We're getting a new Superdome. Now we're going to get a Super Bowl on top of that. It couldn't be any more exciting than that."

New Orleans last hosted in 2002, when Adam Viniateri's 48-yard field goal as time expired lifted New England over St. Louis.

Benson said he was congratulated by the owners, even those who saw Super Bowl bids for their city get voted down.

"All are great Super Bowl cities," said Rita Benson LeBlanc, a part-owner of the Saints and Tom Benson's granddaughter. "But no city has been through more than New Orleans. ... This is just a true testament to what an entire community can do."

Still unclear: Where will the 2013 Pro Bowl be played? It's coming to Miami a week before this coming season's Super Bowl, then going back to Hawaii in 2011 and 2012. It was not part of the bidding process for the 2013 Super Bowl.

Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross congratulated New Orleans, yet also said he was "disappointed" that the 2013 game won't be coming to South Florida. Shortly after the vote was announced, local organizers said South Florida was hopeful of bidding in 2014 as well.

"I think South Florida is the best place for the Super Bowl," Ross said. "In my opinion, it should be here permanently."

• Like Like x 1
  2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

They have an approved plan for a new Super Dome in New Orleans?

3. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I hate Super Bowls in a dome :tdown:

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I don't like Domes, period but the Super Dome is sweet.
    It's really cool to party on Burbon Street then walk to the game.

5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Well who cares? I wont be there! I just dont think the SB should be indoors. I want to see dirty uniforms!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Can't find the link, but the Saints and the city agreed to longer lease (25 years, I think). Part of that agreement includes pumping money into the Superdome for renovations. Don't think it'll be as big as the upgrades made in Green Bay or Chicago.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    25 years!!!

Good day for Saints fans!!! :tup:

8. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
  9. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Yes, and evidently you've been 'partaking', because it's "Bourbon" Street. :icon_rofl:

:icon_toast:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Looking forward to the eight billion "rebuilding from Katrina" stories. :yawn:

11. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    crap

• Like Like x 1
  12. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Might be because there is 8 billion stories. That number grows every day. Bothers you, don't listen. I have friends in Louisiana that still ask about folks that lost their homes from the fires.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Isn't that terrible? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I don't know why anybody would be bothered by it.