1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

New subject. Late round WRs!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Mar 15, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Jan 11, 2010
    To fit the profile of a Charger's receiver, you need to first have a little something called height (our top receivers are 6'5, 6'5, and 6'4). I would totally be fine with drafting one of the receivers in this receiver class to try and develop.
    *Some notable late round receivers who turned out to be good are Brandon Marshall (4th round), Steve Smith for Panthers (3rd), T.O. (3rd), Wes Welker (UDFA), Hines Ward (3rd), Miles Austin (UDFA), Donald Driver (7th), TJ Housh (7th), Derrick Mason (4th)...
    You get the picture. Great WRs aren't always drafted in the first two, or even 3, rounds. Here are some of this years later round WR prospects who "fit the profile" of a Chargers receiver

If you can, try and watch atleast some of the clips provided.

Carlton Mitchell, South Florida
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 215. Combine 40 Time: 4.49.
    Very athletic for a guy his size.

Riley Cooper, Florida
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 222. Combine 40 Time: 4.52.
    Great route runner, also caught balls from a bad QB:lol:

Blair White, Michigan State
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 209. Combine 40 Time: 4.50.
    Great hands, pretty good YAC receiver

Dezmon Briscoe, Kansas
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 208. Combine 40 Time: 4.61.
    Overall great prospect. Plays like Plaxico Burress used to (before the shooting)

Danario Alexander, Missouri
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 215. Projected 40 Time: 4.57.
    Great hands. Runs like a RB after he catches the ball

Eric Decker, Minnesota - Scouting Report
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 217. Projected 40 Time: 4.52.
    Comes down with the ball almost every time he's in tight coverage

Seyi Ajirotutu, Fresno State
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 204. Combine 40 Time: 4.53.
    No highlight videos of him. sorry.

I like Danario Alexander the best because he is just a beast when he has the ball and he is pretty fast for a guy his size. I like what I see in him.
    Who do you like the best? or do you even want to draft a late round receiver?
  2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Jul 27, 2007
    AJ might just snag one of these late-rounder WR's and his scouts probably already have one of them on their radar. Def not the highest priority but maybe get one in the late rounds.
  3. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Mar 4, 2010
    I don't have time to dig up clips but:

Marcus Easley-- UCONN
    6'3'' 210, 4.46 40 yard dash.. This dude would fit in great with our O. If anything he could help replace Osgood on ST and slowly work into the WR rotation. More than likely he would be there in the 5th.
  4. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Jan 11, 2010
    Hope so because we only have 3 decent WRs Jackson, Floyd, and Legedu.. Buster is a bust and we need to add more depth with loosing Chambers in the beginning of the season and KO at the end.
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Jan 19, 2006
    I like Alexander; think he fits that big outstanding catching WR formula we love so much. And I kinda see him as a bit of a Malcolm Floyd clone, can't have too many mad bombers
  6. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Jul 12, 2009
    Don't know how late he'll go, but the guy I liked watching the Senior Bowl was...

Andre Roberts of the Citadel.

cbs sportsline has him as a round 3-4 pick.
  7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

He had a great Senior Bowl week. I admittedly knew nothing about him before that, but was impressed with what I saw there. Looks like he could be a very good slot guy.
  8. RyanLeafComedyCorner

RyanLeafComedyCorner BoltTalker

Mar 15, 2010
    Denario Alexander all the way. He's had his knees operated on after two unfortunate injuries, but was outstanding this year. He has tons of potential and let the NCAA in Yards/Rec.

His height and weight also help him size up taller CB's, while his vertical jump lacks.
  9. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2006
    Id love to get carlton Mitchell

I think he will end up being one of the bigger steals of this draft if he goes after the 3rd or 4th rounds

Him and Thomas (georgia tech) are my 2 favorite WRs in this draft
  10. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Aug 14, 2008
    I like Alexander's tape and I always liked Decker's tenacity. I could see AJ Smith pulling the trigger on a WR like these in the later rounds. I don't think WR really does need shoring up all that much with Jackson, Nanee, Floyd, Gates, and the point-man being Rivers all day everyday.