1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

new updated mock draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Nov 23, 2012.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +116
    1. - Manti Teo MLB ND, He is a play maker with great play recognition, Spikes is getting old and looking terrible on the field, butler is young and amazing " pro bowl worthy imo", but if we could pair him with another good linebacker who has the potential to be a perennial pro bowler, we have a plug in the middle.

2. - T.J. Mcdonald SS USC, He's a thumper with great hands he could boost the secondary, dont worry the CB spot is about to be addressed.

3. Terry Hawthorne CB, Illinois- great vision, good hips, plays the ball conservatively

4. Rick Wagner OT Wisconsin, very fluid tackle, seems to have his head on a swivel, could help rivers out in the pocket.

5.Abry Jones NT Georgia, - Let the bull dogs outs, this 308 monster has tagged teamed with John Jenkins to reak havoc on offences, he would help us alot,

6. Alex Hurst OT LSU, Good strength, has alot of potential, his feet arent great but can be coached with better techniques

7. Cameron Lawernce OLB Miss state, He has a good football IQ, basically a twener, i seem him as a young Jarrett Johnson

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,600
    Please stop the Teo madness. It's an impulse pick. We need to concentrate on CB, O-line, and pass rushers...and unless we spent a mint getting all 3 in free agency Teo shouldn't even be on our radar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Agreed.. Te'o will go top 7.. no chance, no point

we can get away with Spikes for another year, rotating in Mouton and drafting a guy like Michael Mauti, Andrew Jackson, Bruce Taylor, AJ Klein or Steve Greer in the later rounds. Also in 2014 the ILB class will be stronger in FA. Guys like Angerer, Barnett, Bowman, B. Spikes, Vilma, and DJ Williams..

4. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    1. OT - Luke Joeckel/Jake Mathews
    2. OG/OT - Eric Fisher
    3. CB - Leon McFadden
    4. OLB - Quanterus Smith (stock will fall due to injury I believe)
    5. ILB - Bruce Taylor
    6. TE - Brandon Ford/Michael Williams
    7. CB - Tyrann Mathieu/BPA

5. charger1993

Ratings:
    +116
    Its not an impulsive pick i want to create a strong defense, Teo and butler would anchor the middle for years to come. we have ingram at OLB,and i have us taking another OLB. That a young front 4, then we have reyes, and liuget, along with the NT jones i have us taking a young front 7... I have us taking two tackles in this draft and a CB every position is addressed. I dont see the harm in trying to build a defense that could be number 1 in a couple of years

6. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Though I agree with you as well, its time to spend those early rounds on guys that are NFL ready and steady on the OL. We've spent 3rd rounders or later rounds on guys like Green, Clary, etc. and what we get out of it is Phillip Rivers being poorly protected and crushed like a soda can every game. Which leads to a staggering number, 7 INT's of his 12, which I believe are a league high this year have come when Rivers' pocket has broken down or he is hurried.

We obviously need a guy like Joeckel, Matthews, Lewan, guys who are NFL ready. Although, Troutman I believe can be a great Left Guard next year I think we still need to sign a starting vet, like Brandon Moore, for safety reasons in case Johnnie does pan out as expected. He didn't allow a sack in 33 straight games or something, pretty incredible.

On the other hand, I think we do need to get better at the Corner position as well. Wright and Gilchrist are taking big strides this year. Both played a real good game against Peyton last week. But, we do need to do something at Corner.

LBC suggested and made sense, to sign a guy like Marcus Trufant. We can have Wright and Gilchrist battle it out for CB2 and have a guy like Leon McFadden waiting in the wings.

Leon if nobody has heard of is a great corner playing at San Diego State at the moment. A Wide Receiver converted Corner. Has some great hands, makes some great catches for INTs. Under cuts routes very well, and plays solid in a coverage scheme. His man to man needs some blossoming though. Leon has 3 INTs, 10 passes defended and 56 tackles with 2 for a loss. He's another SDSU guy that will break the Top 100 and make a good impact like our Vincent Brown and Denver's Ronnie Hillman.

7. charger1993

Ratings:
    +116
    I just dont see many tackles in this year draft that have stood out to me, we need to sign free agents, maybe bring mcneil back, until do time, i rather wait till next year a draft an better tackle then what is in this years draft, next year we could get d.j. fluker, and justin pugh

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,600
    HAHA Yeah I see no harm in it either, but why don't you start by fixing actual weaknesses?

CB - Cason and Jammer are likely gone, which means Gilchrist (who sucks) and Wright who is still an unknown quantity is all we're going to have, which in short means we have the worst CB situation in the NFL. So regardless if we keep stopping the run well by adding Teo, our defense is still going to get freakin annihilated by Peyton Manning next year, remember the NFL is a passing league now.

OLB - What may also help prevent guys like Brees, Manning, and Freeman from picking us apart like they did is pass rushers. And we're probably going to lose Shaun Phillips, possibly Antwan Barnes too, and likely cut Larry English, which means its Ingram getting double teamed while Johnson adds nothing in that department. And even if we keep Barnes he's not an every down player, so we definately need another pass rusher.

I agree it would be awesome to see Teo and Butler in the middle for the next 10 years, but 3-4 ILBs are not as hard to find as good CBs and reliable pass rushers. And we haven't even gotten into the importance of keeping the least mobile starting QB in the league upright, clearly our team goes where he takes it.

9. charger1993

Ratings:
    +116
    While i agree with 3-4 ILB arent hard to find, ITs hard to find a duo you can put together and both be probowlers..

With losing jammer and Cason thats find, i have us taking Terry hawthorne, along with already having WRight, and gilchrist, wie will most likely sign a veteran CB in FA, like marcus trufant, And i have us taking Tj Mcdonald since Bigby is old and not playing great... MCdonald could be a rodney harrison.

OLB- I have us taking Carmeron Lawerence who is a very smart football player, who get to the ball quickly, he is a young jarrett johnson, he can cover and blitz, Ingram on the wing will provide a blitz, and if need be either one of butler or teo could come in and blitz just as well, and if the qb cant generate enough time to throw the ball its gonna be hard to expose the secondary... I have us taking an aggresive NT in jone, Along with Reyes who is a monster, and liuget who takes up blocks, our defense would be amazing, pass rush is the key, remember 2007 when our pass rush got to the qb we only lost 2 games. and our secondary wasnt great. but it was good..

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,600
    I just think the entire efforts is undermined (again) if we don't fix the CB situation immediately. This year you are seeing what it means to have a strong run defense, and no ability to stop the pass.

11. charger1993

Ratings:
    +116
    WE wont fix the air game easily, we have to get free agents and rookies, Desmound trufant and terry hawthorne are the only rookies i think fit our system. and im not just tyring to build run defense im trying to build a pass rush in which the LB's and d line can get there,

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,600
    I don't think our system is actually intended to have the CBs lining up 10 yards off, I think Pagano gives them the freedom to choose how deep to line up, and they choose 10 yards off because they know they are a step slower than most WRs in the league. We need to carpet bomb the CB position with talent. I think we draft at least 2, and sign a mid level veteran in FA...maybe Chris Carr again, maybe even Jammer if he signs for the veteran minimum.

But as me and LBC were talking about on the other thread, we don't have money in 2013, in fact if my calculations are correct we may be going into the 2013 off-season very very close to the cap. So don't count on FA for anything.

13. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    You don't? This year's draft to me is stronger than last year's at Tackle. The Guard position is a bit weak this year.
    DJ Fluker hasn't been good at all this year. Doesn't give me much confidence he'll put together a strong senior year. He is more fit at the Guard position than Tackle. He looks like a Clary 2.0 at Tackle, got beat by pass rushers like Quanterus Smith, and Sheldon Richardson and also played poorly against Mississippi State. Good run blocker but terrible in pass protection.

Gilchrist sucks? How so man? I thought he's been impressive of late. Especially against Peyton Manning. He played great in the first match up, you really can't do anything on that Stokely touchdown he gave up, that's just Peyton Manning football, small window, air tight coverage by the CB and a great play by the WR. Don't give him any fault for that. Then the second match up he tipped that ball in the air, great read on the Manning audible, and did it AGAIN and almost came away with a pick 6. Kid has great awareness.

Wright looks like a solid CB2 though.. He should play more this year to see what we have with him next year.

14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    There will be a good class of ILB in 2014.. Spikes we can get away with for another year, hopefully Mouton is coming around for next year, he needs to improve on his speed to hit the hole, and we should be good because Butler will be an animal come next year. The kid can only get better.

Also McDonald will most likely go late in the 1st. To a team like the Patriots. Who clearly need Safety help, that has been their weakness all year. And frankly, they might let Chung walk this off-season. So, even though it's unlikely, we could pick him up, with, and I believe some people are forgetting we drafted Brandon Taylor. Who I have high hopes for next year.

15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,600

I couldn't disagree more, Gilchrist has been horrendous consistently. If he had 1 good game its nothing to gain confidence about. He was always a better fit for FS, he has good field vision and good speed, but does a terrible job chasing receivers around the field, he's always a step slow to react, and he has no awareness of when to turn and look for the ball.

We have no choice but to play him as a CB, but his value may actually be subbing for Bigby (or Taylor next year) in certain passing situations. Like what Corey Lynch is doing this year.

16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I thought he played well against the Broncos in both games. I agree he isn't consistent, but I don't think he's the right fit as a nickel guy. He played well last year in that Miami game. Played Marshall great on that INT.

I do agree he would be a good fit at FS, but I feel that is Weddle's position. I don't think he'd play well replacing Bigby because I don't think he's a great tackler. I'd rather sign Jammer for a year and throw him in at SS, because he's a great tackler and hopefully develop Taylor, and put him in there on passing downs.

Speaking of CB's guys, gonna watch this kid Xavier Rhodes against Florida right now.

17. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +123
    You're confused if you call this a weak OG class. Theres 3 or 4 OG's that should go in the first round this year (Warmack is the best prospect in years, Cooper, Frederick if he comes out, Jones versatile C/OG/RT and their could be more in Dallas Thomas but he's more of a second rounder and could end up as a LT. This is really the best OG class in years. Honestly i consider Fluker as part of this OG class. Guy is just a flat out mauler. His feet look like thier stuck in quicksand, but when you let him get goin downhill and drive block guys, with protection outside, he's going to dominate. Depending on the scheme we're running, i wouldn't mind sinking a 2nd into him as a LG.

The OT class is nothing special. It lacks top talent. No elite prospects but a bunch of ones with only 1 or 2 holes in their game. Lewan is very reminiscent of Riley Reiff last year, can be a LT, but might just be a RT for the long term, hard to take a risk like that early, probably will be the guy who will drop a fair amount ala Bulaga/Reiff. Havent seen enough of Joeckel but he seems to lack the power to be a elite OT, though he'll be good in pass pro from the little i've seen. Matthews is athletic, but again, is more of a angle blocker than a guy who will drive guys off the ball. I still think Fisher is going to be a top 5-10 LT in this league when its all said and done, esp. in a ZBS. After that everyone has some major flaws in their game.

I'm on board with a CB at any time. I think we need one, but its not necessarily a top pick. I think Wright and a vet like Jammer/Trufant would be perfect, with a 3rd or 4th round pick like Terry Hawthorne/Justin Gilbert maybe Poyer in the 2nd. Really the only CB's i'd sink a 1st into the more i look at it based on scheme is Bradley Roby and Dee Milner, possibly Banks.

18. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I consider Barrett Jones a center, as most Analysts think that will be his position in the NFL. Warmack, Cooper and Thomas were the ones that came to mind as Guards this year.

I know I didn't make a direct comparison, but I was talking more of last year to this year at both Tackle and Guard. Last year you had DeCastro, Glenn, Zeitler and even Osemele who will be a beast in the future at the Guard positions. And other guys like Silatolu and Brandon Brooks who will be late bloomers.

I agree that there is no clear cut number one guy at Tackle like there was last year with Kalil but Joeckel looks to take those reigns. Shut down LSU's pass rushers completely and shut down Auburn's Lemonier moving him around like a sack of potatoes. Then you have guys like his teammate Jake Mathews whose shut down premier pass rushers and Taylor Lewan, Eric Fisher and Ricky Wagner.

19. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +123
    Brooks isn't any good, he's an athlete and thats it, real soft. He'll be solid in the Texans ZBS though.

Silatolu has been amazing with Carolina this year.

Glenn is a OT, never will be a OG.

I take Warmack and possibly Frederick over DeCastro, Frederick and Cooper over Zeitler, Osemele is a RT and will start there for a while in the coming years.

Again, have to see more of Joekel.

Ricky Wagner is terrible, he doesn't deserved to be mentioned in the same breath of those guys.

But thats the beauty of Jones, sure you can draft him as a C, but he's a 1st round prospect at 4/5 OL spots. Thats what makes him such a good prospect, he's part of this OG class, even if he is at his best at C, ala Mike Pouncey.

20. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I haven't watched Wagner much at all, I just heard some good things and that he is versatile and can also play almost all 5 OL spots.

Idk, I'd take Castro over a lot of prospects in this year's and last year's draft. He just looks so much like a Dielman, too bad about his injury. He fits that Steeler mold so well.

Trust me watch Joeckel..

21. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    Which is exactly why AJ would take him ;)

Im still on the Milliner/Rhodes wagon. The coaches love what they see in Gilchist and if Wright shows up like he did in Pre season we could have a good young secondary and not have to worry about bringing back Cason or Jammer.

IMO this draft should consist of 1 CB, 3 OL, 2 LB inside and out. I would love to get Cobi Hamilton, that kid looks as much like a Julio Jones clone as there ever was.

22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,600
    I'd be happy with Milliner or LBC's boy Bradley Roby, but Rhodes is not my cuppa tea as a CB.

23. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I'm sure we'll get a top 10 pick now.. Who to take?!

24. charger1993

Ratings:
    +116
    were gonna be top 10, we got to play the Bengals, and steelers now, chalk up two more losses, then we play the raiders it could go either way, Carolina will be a win, Jets D line will plow our oline thats a loss,
    im predicting a 6 -10 season, I still say we take Teo,
    ima update this mock draft,
    1. Manti Teo ILB ND- my favorite player of the draft
    2. David Amerson CB, Nc State- i believe he will fall this fall,
    3. Sean Porter OLB, Texas A &M- great burst, reads plays well, follows the ball carrier and wraps up,
    4. Ricky Wagner OT Wisconsin- See above
    5. Josh Boyd DT Mississippi state - looks alot like jamal the wall, plugs good
    6. Michael Dyer RB Arkansas baptist - heres his years stats
    GP Att Yds Avg TDs
    12 242 1242 5.1 10
    7. Terry Hawkinson OT, Kansas- just a crap shoot pick

25. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +123
    My god thats the worst mock i've ever seen in my life...

Amerson is a boarderline 3th round pick as a S.

Porter isn't over 230, and has no fit in a 3-4 D, to small to rush the passer, could play ILB i guess, but not a amazing fit.

Wagner is Clary 2.0.

The rest are just random guys. Dyer better put up big #'s, he's playing in D3000000.....He's a guy i dont want near this team.

26. charger1993

Ratings:
    +116
    Amerson is a borderline 1st round pick, theres wheres hes currently slated, porter is like jarret johnson he can cover, and he can get through gaps, wagner isnt bad i actually like him,
    and dyer has put up good numbers against teams like clemson and miss state

27. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    ill keep it at this.. though if Eric Fisher is selected, I'd take McFadden a little earlier because his stock will rise between now and the draft for sure..

then I'd probably take Justin Pugh or Tanner Hawkinson at OT in the 4th round and the 3rd I'd take a guy like Travis Long at OLB..

28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,600

Joeckel is probably a top 5 pick, highly doubtful he falls to us unless we do finish 4-12. And Fisher IMHO is a top 15 pick for sure, maybe even top 10, I have him ahead of Taylor Lewan at this point who is not as good of a run blocker.

If we're going O-line back to back I think the best case scenario would be Fisher in the 1st, Jake Matthews or Barrett Jones in the 2nd.

29. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Really? I knew Fisher would be 1st round material maybe fall into the second round, deff a top 50 prospect but didn't think he was top 10 material. His stock has gone up that much? Wow.. And you have Jake Matthews in the 2nd? Hmm..

I think we should do BPA at OL, that is priority number one, and then CB.. Get the best players available at those positions when your picking in the first two rounds, and make a selection. If we lose both Phillips and Barnes then add OLB to that. But, we need to retain one of those guys atleast..

30. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +123
    Not a freaking chance on Amerson. He's complete trash, and he's CLEARLY not a CB, thats one thing everybody agrees on...

Porter is nothing like Johnson. Porter is a quick twitch athlete who is a good blitzer but is too light to blitz consistently off the edge and hold up in run support off the edge. He can cover, but he's strictly a LB, not a pass rusher. Our run D would suffer really, really badly if he played any time coming off the edge. Thats what JJ does best is set the edge.

Your wrong about Wagner. Plain and simple. He's stiff as a board, has a really bad first step. He's Clary, maybe a little better, but no much.

Dyer is good, but he's a complete **** up, wouldn't put him near this team.

• Agree Agree x 1