1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

new updated mock draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Nov 23, 2012.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    For sure, in fact when I say best case scenario I mean for him. Matthews is a RT, a better run blocker than a pass blocker, and to be honest I don't know that I'd take him in the top 50.

I am a huge fan of Eric Fisher, I might be alone on an island with that opinion, but his tape is top 10 worthy. He's got long arms, great technique, he's the best run blocking OT in this draft, he plays in a pro style offense, and from what I hear he's relentless in practice.

I'd like to see us nab a CB as well, but Jeromey Clary can't stay.

2. TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    huh, guess I wasn't the only one thinking bout a Te'o pickup for the Chargers.

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    I find it hard to believe a new GM would spend his 1st pick with this franchise on something that doesn't help Philip Rivers or our attrocious pass defense.

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I would say that our priorities on this roster are:

LT
    CB/OLB (OLB not because of a dearth of talent on the roster, but because on a 3-4 roster this has to always be a high priority)
    TE
    LG
    RT
    SS/NT/ILB/C
    RB
    WR
    RG
    DE/FS/QB

I have RT so low in spite of Clary's horribleness because I think that Harris could be a good RT, but it's still a need area due to depth.

I'm not sure about the 4-pack, because there's a mix there of need, uncertainty, and declining talent/age

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    Priorities

1. LT
    2. RT
    3. CB
    4. OG
    5. WR
    6. RB
    7. QB

6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    The bold is a little absurd. It's important, but a RT is never a priority over a passrusher or CB, ever. I'm also very surprised that you have the red listed, but pass rusher is no where on your list.

I literally can't think of any position that this team needs less than a QB.

7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    BPA at every position except, QB, RB, FB, C, LOLB or ROLB (We just need one pass rusher), SS and FS..

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    CB
    LT
    OLB
    RT
    BPA
    BPA
    BPA

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    Are we talking priorities or what we're going to do with each pick?

Priorities IMO...
    1. LT
    2. CB
    3. RT
    4. CB
    5. OLB
    6. OG
    7. ILB
    8. RB
    9. QB

And I have an urge to put SS on this list but I want to see Brandon Taylor first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    What is with all of the people prioritizing a RT over a passrusher? We need a RT desperately, but that doesn't make it a priority over a CB or a quality OLB who can passrush.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    priorities:

HC
    ILB
    QB
    OG

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    Clary has pretty much surpassed Fonuti standards - which means he's well beyond Olivea standards.

Simple fact is this:
    One... Gaither's on the tab for at least one more year. Injury-baby that he may be, Dean is notorious for not wanting to "pay someone to not work for him" and it will cost us more to not have Gaither on the roster than not. And with that noted, Gaither will (whether folks like it or not) very likely be penciled in as the starting LT for 2013. Whether he's the guy past that is debatable, but till 2014 he's the one just about everyone in the FO will be looking to to be option #1.

Two... you can't blame AJ, John Butler, Norv, Marty, or even Bobby Beathard. This team hasn't drafted a 1st round OL since 1985. The only consistent standard over that entire period is the Spanos family. That's darn near 30 years of standard... easily enough to base a more than logical assumption upon. And most of us have all seen it... our OL has been this poor before and yet the trend never changed. Thus for the moment, I'm banking on our first round pick NOT being spent on an OL - which given where we're picking I'm relatively fine with give that in previous draft classes a guy like Luke Joeckel wouldn't be a Top 10 pick (at least from what I've seen so far; he's technically sound but he's a bit too much of a finesse tackle and not so scheme-diverse). If things hold as they are and we pick 7th overall, I'd much rather we follow the path that the 2009 Packers did and take the BPA and get a blue-chip prospect (something we quite frankly haven't had a crack at since Merriman) even if it means foregoing the biggest need. Star Lotulelei, Jonathan Hankinson, Demontre Moore (if his workout go the way I expect them to), or DeMarcus Milliner (if his workout go the way I hope they do) can all offer a pretty substantial contribution to this team; and I'll never fault a front office for adding the best possible talent to a team provided said player has a likelihood of seeing near-immediate playing time.

13. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Do you see Star making it to 7? Also, do you think Jarvis Jones is guaranteed off the board before we pick? If we lose out, I think we're picking 3rd, rather than 7th (and maybe, with a complete collapse by Buffalo and Tennessee, 2nd). Where do you see KC going, and where do you see JAX going this year? Do you think that KC will have a new coach/gm, and that they'll invest in a QB with the 1?

14. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +121
    I like Jarvis Jones but im not crazy about him because of the fact of his serious injury he suffered at USC, but still plays with at georgia, he could be a merriman waiting to happen

15. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +121
    1. Manti teo ILB ND
    2. Desmmound Trufant CB Ucon
    3. Kyle Long OT Oregon
    4.DAniel McCullers DT Tennessee
    5. Sio Moore OLB Connecticut , before you fuss.. Having started 21 games at outside linebacker over the past two seasons for the Huskies, Moore has registered 196 tackles, 27.5 tackles for loss, eight sacks, 11 passes broken up and three interceptions, proving his ability to make an impact at the line of scrimmage, behind it and as a pass defender.
    6.AAron Mellette,WR, Elon 6ft4, runs a 4.53 broke his school record, could be worth a look
    7.CAleb Sturgis, K, Florida, made 85 percent of field goals

16. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Merriman is the wrong analogy, because Merriman's knee was destroyed because he refused to get surgery on it. The better comparison is Marcus McNeil. He'll probably be an amazing defender and then suddenly be done after 6-8 years if his spinal stenosis affects him the way it did McNeil.

17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774

Star will be a top 5 pick, I think there is a realistic chance he could go #1 if KC isn't crazy about any of the QB prospects and can't trade the pick.

18. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    They've been investing in their line for years. I wonder if being drafted by KC to play DL is a career kiss of death?

19. TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Honey Badger Tyran Mathieu to the Chargers as FS and KR

20. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Think he would be a better SS than FS.. Weddle is the FS..

He's a great tackler, freak of nature really. I'd draft him in the 4th. Yup, that high. I think he'll hold multiple workouts, and wow a lot of people, and he'd be worth the pick. He needs to keep his nose clean though.

He;d be a solid nickel corner as well, possibly CB2

21. BoltsFanTX

BoltsFanTX BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
  22. TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Too small for anything other than a Nickle CB you think? I wonder if he'd still be the turnorver machine he was in college.

23. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    He played in multiple safety/nickel sets at LSU. Were most of the turnovers occurred.. He was an animal I loved him in college.

I do think he is too small to be a CB1..

24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    CB Dee Milliner
    OT Dallas Thomas
    OT Kyle Long
    CB Tyran Mathieu

25. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Watching TNF, Chris Owens played fantastic for the Falcons tonight. He is a FA at the end of the year, Hope we can sign him, will be an underrated player.

Then at the the CB1 spot is where the question mark lands. What we do in FA will dictate what we do with the first few picks in the draft.

Guys that can cover WR1 type guys, that will be in our price range and will be the most intriguing, at least to me, FA's are, Marcus Trufant, Cedric Griffin, Derek Cox, and Tracy Porter.

The good thing about these vets is we can sign them to 2 year deals max and let a raw CB develop. I'd still re-sign Jammer, but to play SS and only on a 1-2 year deal at the vet min, and rotate Brandon Taylor in. And, if one of our vet signings struggle with injury you can always throw Jammer in at CB I guess, if you don't have a better option.

I want to say Shareece Wright can be a CB1, but we'll see after this season, if he can get a start in. And also depending on how Jonas Mouton and Andrew Gachkar do this weekend and possibly next weekend with Butler out, will determine the need of ILB as well. Marcus Gilchrist can be a CB1 but more likely a CB2, and possible Safety.

So here is my, like, 10th mock, lol I'm sure they'll be 1,000 more..

1. Jake Matthews OT - Texas A&M
    2. Andre Ellington RB - Clemson
    3. Gabe Jackson OG - Missi ST
    4. Michael Buchanan OLB - Illinois
    5. Will Davis CB - Utah State
    6. Roy Roundtree WR - Michigan
    7. BPA - OL, DL, CB

Reason why I have us taking a running back in the 2nd is, I think Ryan Mathews needs a fire lit under his ***. I love when he runs pissed off. But, when he does get physical, he tends to pick up knocks. Ellington will be a nice pick, good runner in between the blocks and good catching the ball out of the backfield. Ronnie Brown has probably a year left in him and he's most likely out, depending if he even comes back next year with a new HC. So having Mathews, Ellington, Baker going into mini camp in 2013 makes me feel a little better.

I think the real deal at corner comes out next year. Between Bradley Roby of Ohio State and Quandre Diggs of Texas, and I'm willing to exchange first rounders, and a 2nd rounder as well to trade up and get the kid we want if we aren't picking in the top 16 in 2014..

26. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +479
    While I think our needs are at OL and CB, with us picking somewhere between 3 and 10 (Figure we go 1 and 4 to finish the year) I just dont see a Tackle or CB worthy of a top 10 pick. Just cause Luke Joeckel is the best OT available doesnt mean you take him at 5 when he may go 10-15. If we are dead set on getting a CB or OT then lets trade back and stock up on picks, if we stay where we are at, I think if he's there you have to take Manti Teo as he looks to me with that attitude and physicality as the second coming of Junior Seau. It comes back to Sammy Davis. We needed a CB, drafted a CB, and let Polamalu go to Pittsburgh with the next pick. Gotta take the world beaters and not just fill a hole (and did Sammy even fill a 1% of the hole at CB?) with a top pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +276
    I agree with this. Although Te'o doesn't necessarily fill an area of need, if he is available when we pick and the front office deems him to be best player available, I'd have no problem at all with that pick. It'd solidify our ILB spot for years to come with him and Butler.

Within reason, I'm always a huge advocate of taking the best available player. Obviously I don't mean go out and get a QB just because he may be the best guy there, but having Te'o to go with Butler would give our D another fquality piece for the future.

28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    At what cost though? Another season with Philip Rivers getting sacked 40+ times and throwing 20+ picks.

Our QB is entirely O-line dependent, and therefore so is our offense, and therefore there is any chance we have of keeping up with the elite teams in the league.

29. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +479
    No I don't think were saying at any cost. To me at this point, any OT/CB in this draft is a massive reach picks 1-5, with picks 6-10 your not reaching as much and I could see Joeckel going here, but he sure seems to me to be a middle first round prospect as does Milliner. If we lose out or close to it, pick 5th or so I would rather us trade back 3-7 spots and pick up a 2nd and/or 3rd rounder and take our OT/CB at 10-12, and if we cant move back then we take BestAvailablePlayer and in this draft I hope that BAP is Manti Teo.

30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    I do believe we're going to cut Jared Gaither if for no other reason than his presence is unreliable and we can't risk another season on him. If that is what happens we'll have no choice but to go left tackle in the draft.

I agree I'd love to see us pick at 5 or 6 and trade back a few spots, and in my perfect world take Eric Fisher. We have more issues than can be addressed in 1 draft, and no cap room to make up for it.

• Agree Agree x 1