1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

New York Jets strength coach Sal Alosi trips Dolphin - Punishment too harsh?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Scout200, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Scout200

Scout200 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    The NFL suspended New York Jets strength coach Sal Alosi for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs without pay for his intentional tripping of Miami Dolphins cornerback Nolan Carroll on Sunday. He was also fined $25,000.

Some people feel that his punishment is too harsh while others think it should be more severe.. what are your thoughts?

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I think the Alosi Phalanx Alignment should be investigated by the league office.

This would mean Rex Ryan had those individuals conspicuously line up (look at the video again) and impede the opposing players as the opportunity presented itself.

It also opens a case for a lawsuit by Alosi against his former employer - unless they both had a "wink-nod" agreement to re-hire Alosi after the season concluded and the presumed dust had settled.

3. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Alosi could be playing Clint Eastwood here in go ahead and fire me and "Make My Day".

If Alosi has proof his employer Rex Ryan and the Jets told him to stand tight on the sidelines in the "Alosi Alignment" and give them a little "something" - game on.

4. mainstayjames

mainstayjames BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Initially I thought he should be fired. Now, after seeing what his punishment was, I'm on the fence. I think that they got the punishment just about right on this one... though part of me still thinks he should get canned and that garbage like that has no place in sports. It doesn't help that I have a hatred for the Jets either... as payback I'd like to see Rex Ryan get wiped out on the sideline like Charlie Weis did a couple years ago, with his legs crumbling under the weight of his own massive fupa.

Just End Their Season

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I still think he should be fired and this be fully investigated, this is just so messed up on so many independent levels it has to be investigated and punished as harshly as possible

6. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Not severe enough.

7. gsxr

gsxr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    The video did show what looked like the entire staff over there...It makes me wonder...The fine and sus was good but I think more investigation is in order. Maybe it was set up by ryan...ooh...Mmmmm...dump em all. Hollywood got to them and they wanted to be on tv some more.

8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I wonder why the Dolphins just didnt run a sweep to his side, put a whole lotta blockers out front and run right at him.

9. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Damn this.

I didnt see this trip, but hearing about it reminded me of the last time I saw any sideline coach tripping a player back in the 50s?? in a Border war between Tigers and Jayhawks.

That shi is so uncalled for, the runner should get something similar to a free kick in soccer. Like a 2.5 sec start from the sideline while the rest of the players assume their last position before then and they wait 5 sec before they can pursue the ball carrier. Offending teams better hope their secondarys are/were in position with the Safetys. Or this would be a automatic score and make the coaches think again about tripping a player.

10. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Carroll is known to take that same route almost every time.....those coaches were lined up there purposely....if you watch the footage you will see that the person next to Alosi was already leaning in with a shoulder in the event that the knee didn't work....and every coach on that sideline was looking towards Carroll instead of the ball carrier, which makes no sense.

Thigh Gate....I love it....and the team is imploding........

11. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Great point. All of the Coaches were in Line ready to do something that was not nice at all. Just my .02 that the entire coaching staff that was in that line be suspended. Just my opinion there.

12. mainstayjames

mainstayjames BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Here's the Charlie Weis vid... and apparently Jets players came out today and said that the coaches & inactive players were told to lineup there to slow down/interfere with anyone coming down the field to gain an advantage. Rumor is they've been doing it for a couple weeks now...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Cuz they have more class than the ******* jets.

14. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    it sure does look odd doesn't it? all those green shirts lined up in a row right along the sideline. Alosi deserves what he is getting as a punishment. Unsportsmanlike conduct and being "that stupid" should have a pretty stiff penalty. Let's face it that was not regular stupid but Rex Ryan stupid. I think it came down from Rexy himself.

15. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    To be clear, the Jets suspended Alosi, not the league. The Jets consulted with the league, but they took it upon themselves to suspend the coach.

Now, not to play conspiracy theorist....but....if I were the team that instructed my coaches to take Carroll out I would find a way to quietly refund this guys $25,000 fine, AND, get him his game checks to make him whole. The league has no real say in it because the Jets are "self-policing" their employees. They don't want this guy on Oprah, crying about providing for his family and spilling Rex-crement's secrets......

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The guy makes $200k from what I heard. Alosi loses 3 paychecks plus $25,000.

Alosi loses $62,500 in fines and lost wages.

Next year the Jets re-hire Alosi at $275,000.00 covering his lost wages and fine and avoiding the disgrace of this being Rex Ryans way of doing business.

It is a JOKE.

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    This is the way I see it.

Alosi has the Jets by the nuts.

Alosi is taking the fall now (with a job guaranteed next year and most likely more salary money to compensate him)

or

Alosi blows the whistle he was ORDERED to line up and impede whatever player came their way which is even worse news. Now Alosi has grounds for illegal termination.

That is the way I read it.

18. Scout200

Scout200 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Alosi Update:

Jets suspend Alosi indefinitely! The team found "new information" that the Alosi "instructed" five players to stand in a wall before he tripped Dolphins Nolan Carroll...

19. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
  20. SDKCFAN

SDKCFAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I think that Alosi should be fired and the Jets fined ONE MILLION dollars. In the NFL money speaks and a cool million speaks volumes!

21. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    There's no place like people like that in sports period. Get him out of here, don't bring him back.

22. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    None of those A-Holes even flinched. They were all standing there like they were playing "red rover".

23. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    YEP! they are all standing there in the exact same position, every single one of them with their hands in their pullovers and in the same exact postion of their legs in stance and RIGHT on the line....seriously a little too coincidental to me....reeks of a concious gameplan.

24. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    December 15 2010 Last updated at 02:25 PM ET
    Sal Alosi Now Suspended Indefinitely After Jets Find 'New Information'

By FanHouse Staff
    Sal Alosi's punishment for tripping Nolan Carroll has been extended by the Jets after they learned that the strength and conditioning coach ordered a human wall along the sideline during a punt return.

"Over the last day as we continued our investigation we discovered some new information," Tannenbaum said. "The players at the Miami game were instructed by Sal to stand where they were forcing the gunner in the game to run around them. Based on that new information we've suspended Sal indefinitely, pending further review.

"Specifically when Miami was punting they were asked to stand there by him," he said.

Alosi was originally suspended for the season and forced to pay a $25,000 fine. Tannenbaum, who said Alosi acted completely alone in the decision, left the door open for the team to possibly fire him down the line.

"All options are certainly on the table we're going to complete the review and get all the information," Tannenbaum said. "[Special teams coach] Mike Westhoff was not involved, Rex Ryan was not involved, but we just want to be thorough and get all the information."

Tannenbaum said the team informed the league right away once discovering the "new information," and that the league agrees with the Jets' decision and is looking into the matter as well.

There's been discussion of late as to whether the Jets intentionally employ tactics designed to interfere with gunners on special teams. Alosi originally denied that the players forming a wall had been instructed to do so by anyone.

25. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Personally I think hes an effing disgrace and should lose his job for it.Hes crossed a line.

26. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Hang the bastard.

27. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Man, that is hilarious! Jabba the Jet and Princess Sanchez! Who's that little guy on the right though? Alosi? Lol.

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

Here is Head Coach Bill Bellichick doing the Alosi shuffle in 2004.

Check out this video and the coach is showing how to impede a player.

29. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Not only one player but two! The one who went out of bounds AND the one coming up from the left of the screen...the damned jackhole looks like on of those wind-up robots trying to bump into any opposing player within reach! hahaha