1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

News at home

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PowderLove, Aug 7, 2007.

1. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Click for full story

Strengthening hurricane pounds Caribbean

• <LI class=cnnhiliteheader>Story Highlights
    • NEW: Dean triggers landslides in Martinique, AP reports; scores left homeless
    • Forecast: Storm to be season's 1st major hurricane; heading for Jamaica, Mexico
    • Storm warnings for Haiti, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands
    (CNN) -- Hurricane Dean pounded Caribbean islands and pushed toward the Gulf of Mexico on Friday as forecasters warned the storm could near Category 5 intensity by Monday.
    Another storm system, remnants of Tropical Storm Erin, triggered widespread flooding in Texas that contributed to at least seven deaths, according to local news reports.
    Forecasters predicted Dean would approach Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula by Monday with maximum sustained winds around 150 mph. That's just under the 155-mph threshold which would make Dean a most-powerful Category 5 hurricane, reported CNN meteorologist Bonnie Schneider.
    On Friday, Dean pounded the islands of Dominica, St. Lucia and Martinique. Residents of Martinique told The Associated Press that Dean triggered landslides and scores of people were left homeless by floods and 100-mph winds.
    "The sea swelled, crossed the road and invaded homes," a woman identified as Lucie told a local radio station, according to AP.
    Dangerous winds ripped a corrugated metal roof off a pediatric ward at Victoria Hospital in St. Lucia's capital, Castries, AP reported. No injuries were reported, AP said, and patients had been evacuated.
    Flooding and wind-swept debris have turned St. Lucia into "a total mess," state radio reported, according to AP. [​IMG]Watch Dean rake islands and Erin soak Texas »
    Storm surges shoved sea-wall boulders onto roads, AP reported, and a boat was seen sitting on a road after forces of nature carried it from the sea.
    At 11 a.m. ET, Haiti and the Dominican Republic were under a tropical storm warning as Dean's winds increased to 105 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center in Miami, Florida.
    Dean is forecast to dump up to 2 inches of rain on Haiti and the Dominican Republic, with isolated amounts of up to 5 inches. The hurricane is expected to strengthen during the next 24 hours, the center said. [​IMG]See Hurricane Dean's projected route »
    The storm is forecast to become a Category 3 storm early Saturday as it brushes Hispaniola, then strengthening into a Category 4, with winds in excess of 131 mph, before bearing down on Jamaica on Sunday morning.
    Forecasters posted tropical storm warnings for the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.
    Josephine Marcelus of Morne Rouge, Martinique, described the storm to The Associated Press as it slammed the island. "We don't have a roof ... everything is exposed. We tried to save what we could," Marcelus told AP. "We sealed ourselves in one room, praying that the hurricane stops blowing over Martinique."
    At 11 a.m. ET, Dean's center was about 105 miles (170 kilometers) west of Martinique, moving west at about 21 mph (33 kilometers per hour), according to the National Hurricane Center.
    Forecasters said the storm could dump as much as 10 inches of rain in some mountainous areas, which could trigger flash floods and mudslides. Storm surge flooding as high as 4 feet was also forecast, with battering waves.
    Tropical storm warnings continue for the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Grenada, Saba, St. Eustatius, Montserrat, Antigua, Nevis, St. Kitts, Barbuda, St. Maarten and Anguilla. Tropical storm warnings for Barbados, St. Vincent and The Grenadines have been discontinued, the hurricane center said.
    A tropical storm warning means that tropical storm conditions, including winds of at least 39 mph, are expected within 24 hours.

2. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Click here for full article.

NASA decides no repairs needed for Endeavour's gouged belly

• Endeavour safe to fly home with gouged belly
    • Descision based on the overwhelming -- but not unanimous -- recommendations
    • NASA: The gouge on the shuttle's belly is too small to be catastrophic
    • Fourth spacewalk planned for Saturday
    CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (AP) -- A gouge on space shuttle Endeavour's belly does not need to be repaired in orbit, NASA has decided after several days of testing, analysis and deliberation.
    The decision came Thursday night after a five-hour meeting of mission managers. They opted against any risky spacewalk repairs based on the overwhelming -- but not unanimous -- recommendations of hundreds of engineers. The massive amount of data they gathered indicated Endeavour would suffer no serious structural damage during next week's re-entry.
    For several days, NASA had said crew safety was not at risk. The concern was that the heat of re-entry could weaken the shuttle's aluminum frame at the damaged spot and result in lengthy post-flight repairs, but testing showed that would not be the case.
    The gouge is too small to be catastrophic, unlike the damage Columbia suffered.
    Ultimately, managers decided they couldn't justify putting spacewalking astronauts at risk if the vehicle was in acceptable shape as is to make the journey home. A spacewalk earlier this week, cut short by an astronaut's ripped glove, showed how hazardous even a relatively routine jaunt outside the international space station can be. [​IMG]Watch what caused the damage and how repairs were ruled out »
    "I am 100 percent comfortable that the work that has been done has accurately characterized it (the damage) and that we will have a very successful re-entry," said John Shannon, chairman of the mission management team. "I am also 100 percent confident that if we would have gotten a different answer and found out that this was something that was going to endanger the lives of the crew, that we had the capability on board to go and repair it and then have a successful entry."
    Johnson Space Center's engineering group in Houston wanted to proceed with the repairs. But everyone else, including safety officials, voted to skip them.
    The thermal shielding on Endeavour's belly was pierced by a piece of debris that broke off the external fuel tank shortly after liftoff Aug. 8. The debris carved out a 3½-inch-long, 2-inch-wide gouge and dug all the way through the thermal tiles. Left completely exposed was a narrow 1-inch strip of the overlying felt fabric, the last barrier before the shuttle's aluminum structure.
    The only way to fix the gouge would have been to send a pair of spacewalkers out with black protective paint and caulk-like goo, and maneuver them beneath the shuttle on the end of a 100-foot robotic arm and extension boom, with few if any close-up camera views of the work.

God, please bring our astronauts back safely.
    -PL

3. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/15/daveed.godswarriors/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

Rejecting radical Islam -- one man's journey

• Man says he became radical Muslim during college a decade ago
    • "Ideas that I once thought unthinkable ... seemed like good ideas to me"
    • Oregon group he worked for has since been shut down by the government
    • Organization maintains it's a charity, seeks to have name cleared
    Editor's note: This is part one of a series of reports CNN.com is featuring from an upcoming, six-hour television event, "God's Warriors," hosted by CNN chief international correspondent Christiane Amanpour.
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The path to faith often takes unexpected twists. In the case of Daveed Gartenstein-Ross, the road went through three of the world's major religions -- Judaism, Islam and Christianity -- and ultimately brought him to the FBI.
    Born to Jewish parents who call themselves mystics, he grew up in what he calls the "liberal hippie Mecca" of Ashland, Oregon, a town of about 20,000 near the California border. It was in this ultraliberal intellectual environment that a young Gartenstein-Ross experimented with a radical form of Islam that eventually led him to shun music, reject women's rights and even refuse to touch dogs because he believed this was "according to God's will."
    "I began to pray for the mujahedeen, for these stateless warriors who were trying to topple secular governments," he said.
    His journey began in 1997, when as a junior at Wake Forest University, he began to examine his own spiritual identity after experiencing a couple of brushes with death caused by illness. "That kind of thing can cause spiritual discomfort and make you reevaluate what it is that you're living for," he told CNN in an upcoming documentary called "God's Warriors." [​IMG]Watch behind-the-scenes with CNN's Amanpour for the making of the TV special »
    A college friend introduced him to Islam and he was intrigued by its peaceful message. "Islam was a very simple faith and as I learned more and more about it, it seemed more and more fascinating to me," he said.
    That fall, he called home to tell his parents he was planning to become a Muslim.
    "We felt it was OK," his father Moshe Ross said. "We were glad that he was going to study something and hopefully seriously. And we were happy with Islam."
    When Gartenstein-Ross returned to Ashland, he got his first taste of radicalization when an imam at a local makeshift mosque blasted Western society.
    "His argument was that the West was so inherently corrupt, so inherently anti-Islamic, that if we stayed in this society, then inevitably our faith would be eroded," said Gartenstein-Ross, who chronicled his experience in a book called "My Year Inside Radical Islam."
    The humble mosque would soon move to a hilltop headquarters in Ashland, thanks to financial support from a Saudi Arabian charity known as the Al-Haramain Islamic Foundation, which has since been shut down by U.S. and Saudi authorities for alleged terror ties. Lawyers for Al-Haramain have denied those charges and have filed suit against the U.S. government seeking to have its name cleared.
    Gartenstein-Ross said a man named Pete Seda, who ran the charity's local office, offered him a job. Seda became his mentor and within a few months Gartenstein-Ross said he found himself agreeing with extreme views. At Al-Haramain, he said he saw the religion which he had embraced for its tolerance become obsessed with rules and ideology.
    "What I didn't expect was that over time my ideas would fall into line with theirs," he said. "I wasn't to shake hands with women. I wasn't to pet a dog. I wasn't to wear shorts that came up above my knees. But conversely, my pants legs couldn't be too long."
    But at times, he still had doubts about some beliefs espoused at the mosque. Whenever he questioned the rules, his co-workers would tell him his own views were irrelevant. The view was that "your moral inclinations do not matter. All that matters is whether this is what's right according to God's will," said Gartenstein-Ross.
    In 1999 he left his job at Al-Haramain for law school at New York University. Away from his co-workers, he was free to question the radical doctrines he'd learned in Oregon and meet with others about spirituality, including Christians. A year later, he converted to Christianity and was eventually baptized in the Baptist church.
    It was a decision he took extremely seriously because he said his colleagues at Al-Haramain had preached that leaving Islam was punishable by death.
    "This conversion out of Islam toward Christianity was certainly not one I took lightly in any way, because I realized there could be repercussions from it," he said.
    The Al-Haramain Islamic Foundation would come up in his life again, but in a very different fashion. His first job after law school was as a clerk with the U.S. Court of Appeals in the District of Columbia. He had to undergo a background check and listed Al-Haramain as a previous employer. Soon, the FBI was quizzing him about the group.
    Two years later, in 2004, federal agents raided the Ashland offices of Al-Haramain. When he learned of the bust, Gartenstein-Ross says he contacted the FBI. "I knew about some of Al-Haramain's contempt for U.S. tax law. I knew about the support these guys had for the mujahedeen in Chechnya," he said.
    His mentor, Pete Seda, and another top Al-Haramain official now face conspiracy and tax fraud charges for allegedly helping provide $150,000 in funds meant for Muslim fighters in Chechnya. Lawyers for the group say it renounces terrorism, and in a lawsuit filed against the government last week, Al-Haramain says it's a "charitable organization that seeks to promote greater understanding of the Islamic religion."
    Seda on Wednesday voluntarily returned to the United States to fight the charges and entered a plea of not guilty.
    As for Gartenstein-Ross, he is now a counter-terrorism consultant who works with the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, a Washington think-tank formed after September 11, 2001, that lists former FBI director Louis Freeh, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Sen. Joseph Lieberman among its "distinguished advisers."
    He acknowledges his experience is atypical -- that most American Muslims are well-assimilated into American society and don't embrace radical Islamic ideas.
    "There is a lot that's going right about Islam in the United States, and a lot of the conversations I've had with moderate Muslims and other Muslims in the past year-and-a-half have been encouraging in terms of what's happening with Islam in America," he said.

4. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Click for full article

Erin Blamed For At Least 7 Deaths In Texas

Remnants Of Tropical Storm Erin Unleash Heavy Rain

<SCRIPT src="/js/13260191/script.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><LINK href="/css/13260803/style.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><!--startindex-->At least seven deaths around Texas are being blamed on what had been Tropical Storm Erin as the state deals with at least 6 inches of rain.
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=340 bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#e8e8e8>[​IMG]Cars Wade Through Floodwaters | [​IMG]Man Climbs Tree</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Authorities in Houston said one person was killed and another was hurt when a waterlogged roof collapsed at a storage unit at a Houston grocery store, reported KPRC-TV.
    A store employee was pulled out of the rubble after being trapped by ceiling debris and a metal beam. He was rushed to the hospital and the extent of his injuries is not known.
    The body of a second victim was recovered after an exhaustive search, officials said.
    "That whole area back there -- that whole roof nearly pancaked down. And this is a concrete, tent-wall constructed building, metal trusses. And on top of that, you have corrugated tin. And on top of that, you have concrete. And on top of that you have asphalt shingles. We had to cut all that away," a Houston fire investigator told KPRC-TV.
    Forecasters said the corridor between San Antonio and Austin could get up to 10 inches of rain.
    In San Antonio, Texas, at least four deaths are being blamed on Erin, reported KSAT-TV.
    Police said a man was swept away in San Antonio when he apparently got out of his vehicle in floodwater. And a truck driver drowned when his 18-wheeler went into a flooded retention pond.
    Overnight rain prompted officials to evacuate three areas of mostly RVs parked along the Medina River. About 50 people were forced to flee from a subdivision on Medina Lake.

5. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Happy news!

Click for full article.

Boy 'Hero' Helps Deliver Baby Sister

With Dad At Work, Mom Needed Help

POSTED: 1:23 pm EDT August 16, 2007
    UPDATED: 2:10 pm EDT August 16, 2007

<SCRIPT src="/js/13260191/script.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><LINK href="/css/13260803/style.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><!--startindex-->ELK GROVE, Calif. -- A 5-year-old boy from Elk Grove is being called a hero for helping bring his little sister into the world, reported KCRA-TV in Sacramento.
    Tuesday at 3 a.m., John John Barreiros sprang into action when he heard his mom scream for help.
    "I was thinking I better hurry up," he said.
    His mother went into labor in their Elk Grove home. With the ambulance on the way, John John was the only one she could count on.
    "I think I was in shock," Christina Barreiros said. "I didn't know what to think. I didn't know what to think. I was home with the three kids. My husband was in the Bay Area."
    She had no choice but to deliver baby Aaliyah.
    "I called 911, and they told me to have him go grab some blankets, which he went, ran and grabbed like 10 blankets to wrap her in," she said. "Then they said grab a shoe for a shoelace and he went and did that."

6. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Click for full article.

Hurricane News Scares 8-Year-Old Fla. Girl Into Trying To Ride Bike To Ohio

Sheriff's Deputies Find Missing Girl Pedaling Out Of State

POSTED: 7:14 am EDT August 17, 2007
    UPDATED: 12:31 pm EDT August 17, 2007

<SCRIPT src="/js/13260191/script.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><LINK href="/css/13260803/style.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><!--startindex-->DELAND, Fla. -- An 8-year-old DeLand girl reported missing was found by police riding her bike as fast as she could to leave the state of Florida, fearing a massive Hurricane Dean was on its way.

<HR>[​IMG] IMAGES: More strange stories, images
    <HR>

The parents of Heather Snoke reported the girl missing Wednesday night after last seeing her riding on her bike, according to a newspaper report.
    Volusia County sheriff's deputies searching by helicopter eventually spotted Heather about a mile from home on East Plymouth Avenue, still on her bike.
    She told officers that the recent news about hurricanes had scared her, and she wanted to ride her bike back home.

7. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Click for full article

<TABLE class=AssocContent cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=AssocContentTD vAlign=top>
    <SCRIPT src="/js/4946671/script.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://downloads.instream.com/isplayer/js/lcSyncBanner.jsp?nwid=11375&level=Internet%20Broadcasting:IBSYS&playerId=videoplug" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><LINK href="/css/4946672/style.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><SCRIPT event=CurrentItemChange() for=videoplug type=text/javascript>if(typeof pageProps != "undefined") {AdObj.create("banner1", "728x90", "-1", (pageProps.coid ? String(pageProps.coid) : "-1"), pageProps.sectiontag);if(document.getElementById("videoplug") &&document.getElementById("videoplug").attachEvent){document.getElementById("videoplug").attachEvent("currentItemChange",AdObj.createAdRefreshHandler("videoplug"));}}</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>addEvent(window, 'load', function() {PlayerFactory.createPlayer(240, 180, 'playerparent', 13929180, false);PlayerFactory.createControls();PlayerFactory.adTarget = "inline";});</SCRIPT>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Skateboarder Killed While Pulled By Car

POSTED: 7:17 pm PDT August 19, 2007
    UPDATED: 9:14 am PDT August 20, 2007

<SCRIPT src="/js/13260191/script.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><LINK href="/css/13260803/style.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><!--startindex-->VANCOUVER, Wash. -- A Vancouver teenager died when he fell from his skateboard while being pulled by a car driven by his friend Sunday afternoon.
    The incident happened around 4 p.m. Sunday near Northeast 29th Avenue and Northeast 139th Street in the Salmon Creak area of Vancouver.
    Police said 16-year-old Joseph Madison was riding a skateboard and holding onto the open driver's side rear window of an SUV driven by 16-year-old Christian Moothart.

8. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Sickening

Click for full article

Mother Convicted Of Offering Her Child For Porn

POSTED: 4:17 pm EDT August 16, 2007
    UPDATED: 4:32 pm EDT August 16, 2007

<SCRIPT src="/js/13260191/script.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><LINK href="/css/13260803/style.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><!--startindex-->A Taylor mother is sentenced in Detroit Thursday for offering to allow her 7-year-old daughter pose in pornographic photos.
    Local 4 News is not releasing the mother’s name, to protect the identity of her daughter.

9. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Click for full article

Father, Son Fight Off Home Invasion Attempt

POSTED: 11:03 am PDT August 20, 2007
    UPDATED: 2:24 pm PDT August 20, 2007

<SCRIPT src="/js/13260191/script.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><LINK href="/css/13260803/style.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><!--startindex-->RANCHO BERNARDO, Calif. -- A man and his son fought off four men who attempted to burglarize their home Sunday, a police sergeant said.
    The four men pushed their way into the home in the 16000 block of Santanella Street near Camino Del Norte around 2 p.m., said Sgt. Kim Carson of the San Diego County Sheriff's Department.
    The robbers tied the man and his son to chairs, Carson said.
    They untied themselves and surprised the men, chasing them away, Carson said.

10. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Click for full article
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/08/20/space.shuttle.ap/index.html

Crew prepares shuttle for early landing

• NEW: NASA clears Endeavour for re-entry on Tuesday
    • Mission cut short by Hurricane Dean
    • The hurricane no longer poses much of a threat to Mission Control in Houston
    • Mission managers: Gouge in space shuttle's belly poses no threat
    HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- Their mission cut short by Hurricane Dean, astronauts aboard the shuttle Endeavour wrapped up their work in orbit Monday and prepared to come home.
    At midmorning, NASA cleared the shuttle for re-entry after analyzing the results of Sunday's close-up laser scans of Endeavour's wings and nose.
    The hurricane no longer posed much of a threat to Mission Control's Houston home, but managers did not want to take any chance and proceeded toward a Tuesday landing.
    "There is still uncertainty with a storm like this, but right now it's looking pretty good from our standpoint," said John Shannon, chairman of the mission management team. "The threat is certainly somewhat less than it was the last two days."
    NASA said the preliminary weather forecast looked good for Tuesday's planned early afternoon touchdown at Kennedy Space Center. The main concern appeared to be a possibility of stiff crosswind.
    After leaving the international space station a day early on Sunday, Endeavour's crew inspected their ship one final time to make sure it would be prepared for the fiery descent through the atmosphere.
    The astronauts used a laser-tipped boom to hunt for possible micrometeorite damage to the shuttle's wing and nose that might have occurred during the nine days the shuttle was docked to the space station. [​IMG]Watch shuttle leave the space station »
    NASA expects to have all the latest laser data analyzed by Monday evening.
    The crew did not maneuver the 100-foot robotic arm and extension boom under the shuttle's gouged belly Sunday. Engineers have already determined that the small but deep gouge, caused by launch debris, poses no danger.

11. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    http://www.local10.com/news/13931945/detail.html

2 Charged In Case Of Human Head Found Off I-75

Detectives Say Men Dismembered Woman, Disposed Of Body Parts

POSTED: 2:08 pm EDT August 20, 2007

<SCRIPT src="/js/13260191/script.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><LINK href="/css/13260803/style.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><!--startindex-->BROWARD COUNTY, Fla. -- Broward Sheriff's Office detectives said they have arrested two men accused of killing a New York woman whose head was found off Alligator Alley earlier this year.
    Paul Bryan Trucchio and Robert Mackey were charged Saturday with one count each of felony first-degree murder in the death of Lorraine Hatzakorzian. Homicide detectives determined it was her head that was discovered April 28 by two fishermen near mile marker 35 on Interstate 75.
    Physical evidence recovered at the scene revealed that the head was originally inside a plastic grocery bag when it was disposed of in a canal off Alligator Alley.
    The bag, with "Waldbaum’s Red Tag Reduction" displayed in red letters, provided homicide detectives with one of their first clues in identifying the victim. Waldbaum's stores are only located in Long Island, N.Y.
    A break in the case came when Douglas Stein told detectives with the Port Orange Police Department that two of his roommates -- Trucchio and Mackey -- had bragged about killing a woman and dumping her body parts somewhere in Florida.
    According to BSO investigators, Stein told Port Orange detectives where his roommates allegedly discarded the New York license plate taken off a pickup truck Stein saw them cleaning with bleach and muriatic acid.
    When detectives performed a database search on Trucchio and Mackey, they learned both were stopped May 1 by a Daytona Shores police officer who issued Trucchio two traffic citations. As well, the 1988 Dodge Dakota they were stopped in was registered to Hatzakorzian.
    It was determined that Hatzakorzian was reported missing by police in Suffolk County, N.Y., and that she was last seen leaving her home with Trucchio and Mackey, according to the BSO. Suffolk County detectives also said Hatzakorzian picked up a money order from a Waldbaum's grocery store in Long Island on April 16, five days before she was reported missing.

12. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    http://www.theindychannel.com/news/13928355/detail.html

Child Found Alone In Home With Dead Mom, Sister

Police: Foul Play Not Suspected

POSTED: 7:22 am EDT August 20, 2007
    UPDATED: 10:27 am EDT August 20, 2007

<SCRIPT src="/js/13260191/script.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><LINK href="/css/13260803/style.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><!--startindex-->INDIANAPOLIS -- A 4-year-old girl lived alone for several days after her mother and baby sister died at home, according to police and relatives.
    The girls' grandmother, Mary Fuqua, discovered the horrible situation Sunday evening. The girls' mom, Memory Fuqua, 26, (pictured) died several days ago, possibly as early as Aug. 11, likely from an asthma attack, police said.
    Memory's 5-month-old daughter, Neveah Rollins, died sometime later. Both were found in their apartment in the 2100 block of North Arlington Avenue.
    The surviving girl, Shaniah Nicole Morse, thought "her mommy was asleep," Mary Fuqua said.
    Police said Morse is doing fine and is in her grandmother’s custody.
    An autopsy scheduled for Monday evening will determine why Memory Fuqua and the infant died. Fuqua's body was found near an asthma inhaler.

13. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Full

Damage Estimates At $24 Million For Flood-Ravaged Counties

POSTED: 7:58 am CDT August 20, 2007
    UPDATED: 1:27 pm CDT August 20, 2007

<SCRIPT src="/js/13260191/script.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><LINK href="/css/13260803/style.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><!--startindex-->Damages in the three southwestern Wisconsin counties in which a state of emergency was declared due to weekend flooding now total about $24 million.
    Crawford County emergency management spokesman Gary Knickerbocker said that damages there totaled more than $11 million.
    Gov. Jim Doyle said earlier Monday that the state estimated Vernon County damages at more than $9 million.
    Richland County had an estimated damage Sunday at more than $3 million.
    Doyle declared a state of emergency in Crawford, Richland and Vernon counties on Sunday.
    He ordered emergency management officials to lead the state's response efforts and directed all state agencies to assist the affected localities.
    The water forced evacuations and washed out roads and bridges. There have been no reports of injuries.
    Up to 1 foot of rain fell in that area Saturday and early Sunday. Another round of showers and thunderstorms passed through the area Sunday night.
    The National Weather Service said up to another 4 inches fell late Sunday and early Monday, but less than an 1.5 inches of precipitation was recorded in much of that area during that period.

14. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Full article

Man Sees Wife Swept Away In Okla. Floodwaters

Daughter Had Warned Mother Moments Earlier

POSTED: 1:07 pm CDT August 20, 2007
    UPDATED: 5:21 pm CDT August 20, 2007

<SCRIPT src="/js/13260191/script.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><LINK href="/css/13260803/style.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><!--startindex-->CARNEGIE, Okla. -- The bodies of three people swept away by floodwaters were recovered late Sunday, hours after the husband of one victim watched their van swept away.
    Authorities said Dorita Horse, 77; Helen Horse, 34; and Rose Saddleblanket, 17, were traveling home from Lawton when high water washed the van off Highway 58, six miles south of Carnegie.
    Dorita Horse's husband was in another vehicle and saw his wife being washed away.

15. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/20/vatech.classes/index.html

Virginia Tech 'alive and well' but not ready to forget

• Student says she avoided being shot during massacre by playing dead
    • Norris Hall, where 29 of the victims were killed, will no longer host classes
    • Professor: "I think that we're very excited that classes are starting"
    • Carbon monoxide leak leaves 23 sick as university dedicates memorial to victims
    BLACKSBURG, Virginia (CNN) -- Erin Sheehan is one of the almost 28,000 students making the bittersweet return to the Virginia Tech campus for fall classes, a journey she was afforded only because of some quick thinking in April.
    When Seung Hui Cho stormed into Sheehan's German class that horrifying Monday morning -- firing off indiscriminate rounds of gunfire that killed the German teacher and four of Sheehan's classmates -- Sheehan hit the deck and played dead.
    "He went around the room shooting everyone," she said.
    Cho's April 16 rampage through Norris Hall left 29 students and faculty dead. The mentally disturbed Cho also killed two others and himself in the mass shooting that has been dubbed the worst in modern U.S. history.
    Though she is heading back to class, Sheehan is admittedly still shaken. Four months after the tragedy, Sheehan is haunted by memories of the massacre, and she still jumps when she hears a loud noise in her Virginia Tech dorm room. Regardless, she is prepared to move on.
    "When classes started again in the spring I didn't come back," Sheehan said. "It was just too hard to do then, but now I'm ready."
    The campus was buzzing over the weekend. Parents and students crowded the sidewalks, toting boxes and furniture into the dorms, including West Ambler Johnston, where the first two victims were killed.
    Norris Hall, meanwhile, has been refurbished and will no longer host classes.
    Virginia Tech has discreetly beefed up security since the tragedy. Locks that operate from the inside have been placed on classroom doors. Dormitory entrances are secured 24 hours a day. Students can sign up for emergency text messages from the university.
    Despite the precautions, not everything has gone as smoothly as planned.
    On the eve of the students' return to classes, 23 people fell ill from a carbon monoxide leak in an apartment building near campus. Two Virginia Tech students, both 19, were in critical condition, police and hospital officials said.
    The leak was reported at about the same time the university dedicated a permanent memorial to the victims and their families -- a semicircle of 32 engraved stones bearing each victim's name.
    One student said she wanted to attend the ceremony until she woke up at the Collegiate Suites apartment building feeling nauseous, The Washington Post reported.
    Police quickly ruled out foul play in the Sunday incident, saying a malfunctioning valve on a water heater seemed to be the culprit. But the leak added to the tension still gripping a campus reeling from the April gun rampage.
    Spirits are high, however, said professor Nikki Giovanni, and students and faculty are ready to move past the tragedy. [​IMG]Watch Giovanni applaud the university's new security measures »
    "The Hokies' spirit is alive and well. I think that we're very excited that classes are starting -- that we're moving into a new year," she said.
    Perhaps indicative of that resilience is the size of the incoming freshman class. According to a university news release, the university accepted deposits from 5,215 freshmen this year.
    That is well over its enrollment target of 5,000 and about 30 more deposits than the university received from incoming freshmen last year, the news release states.
    "Virginia Tech took a big hit, but I think that we have embraced each other. We have been embraced on this planet," she said, explaining that the Virginia Tech community has received greeting "from every country on Earth and it's been a wonderful thing."
    Students concur that they are ready for the new school year.
    Playing Frisbee with friends at a drill field near the newly christened memorial, Aaron Friedman said the summer break was a welcome reprieve, but he was ready to return to Blacksburg.
    "It was good to get away. Being back with everybody at home really helped," Friedman said.
    Fellow sophomore Mike Giancola said he, too, is ready to move on, even if he is still disturbed by memories of the shootings.
    "I still think about it every day, but I'm ready to get my life going."
    Sheehan echoes the sentiment of Giovanni and her fellow students but notes that she has had to make some changes in her life, and she still battles post-traumatic stress symptoms every day.
    "Even being in my new dorm, when I hear a loud noise or something unexpected, I'll peer out through the little hole in my door to make sure everything is OK," she said.

16. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6955050.stm

US Midwest heatwave kills dozens
    A two-week heatwave in the southern and Midwestern US has resulted in the deaths of at least 43 people, many of whom were elderly, officials have said.

On Sunday, temperatures dropped to 94F (34C) in Memphis, Tennessee - the first time in 10 days they did not top 100F.
    Alabama, Missouri, Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, South Carolina and Mississippi have also been affected.
    Meanwhile, at least 13 people died in severe flooding in the nearby states of Oklahoma, Minnesota and Texas.
    Thunderstorms caused by the remnants of Tropical Storm Erin dropped up to 1ft (30cm) of rain in southern parts of the region, causing rivers to burst their banks and forcing hundreds of people from their homes.
    In Caddo County, Oklahoma, three women from the same family were killed when the van in which they were travelling was swept away by rushing water.
    Another woman drowned near Fort Cobb when she sought shelter from the storms in her cellar.
    The floods have killed at least six people in Oklahoma, six in Minnesota and one in Texas.
    Hotline
    Authorities said the heat-related deaths in the neighbouring southern states have involved many people who live in homes with no air-conditioning, or those who have been active outdoors.
    The latest victims were a 74-year-old asthmatic who died after working in his garden near Memphis on Saturday morning, and a 60-year-old man who was found dead in his home on Friday evening.
    <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD><!--Smva-->20C (68F) Comfortable. Heart rate normal
    25C (77F) Light sweating
    30C (86F) Discomfort: Blood cools at skin surface. Concentration affected. Moderate sweating
    40C (104F) Heat exhaustion: Heavy sweating. Rapid heart rate. Tiredness. Nausea
    45C (113F) Heat stroke: Sweating stops. Hot, dry skin. Core temperature rises. Fainting. Danger of organ damage and death
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    In response, Shelby County medical examiner Karen Chancellor told local residents with chronic respiratory or heart conditions to take special precautions.
    The county's mayor, A C Wharton, said he had set up a hotline to help those who needed relief from the heat. It included information on local cooling centres and free fans for the elderly.
    Mr Wharton said the city's "heat index", a measure that factors in humidity to describe how hot the weather feels, had risen above 100F every day since 27 June.
    Weather forecasters said the temperature would be around 96F (36C) on Monday and remain close to 100F (38C) for the rest of the week.
    According to officials, the heatwave has been responsible for 12 deaths in Tennessee, nine in Missouri, eight in Alabama, four in Arkansas, four in Georgia, three in Illinois, two in South Carolina and one in Mississippi. Last summer, a heatwave killed at least 143 people in California.

17. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6954639.stm

Mother loses fight to stay in US
    A Mexican woman whose fight to stay in the US with her US-born son attracted national attention has been sent back to Mexico as an illegal immigrant.

Elvira Arellano was arrested in Los Angeles on Sunday afternoon and deported several hours later.
    She became a prominent figure after taking refuge in a Chicago church for a year to avoid being separated from eight-year-old Saul, a US citizen.
    He is staying with people who were with her when she was arrested.
    Ms Arellano was handed over to Mexican authorities in Tijuana at 2200 (0500GMT) and freed, Mexican officials said.
    Elvira Arellano and Saul made a powerful emotional case for keeping the families of illegal immigrants together.
    Last November, Saul went to Mexico's Congress to make a personal appeal for help to stop his mother's deportation.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=fact><!--Smva-->I only have two choices - I either go to my country, Mexico, or stay and keep fighting - I decided to stay and fight
    <!--Emva--><!--Smva-->Elvira Arellano <!--Emva--></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ms Arellano took refuge in the Adalberto United Methodist Church in Chicago last August, defying a deportation order.
    But this weekend she left the church to travel to Los Angeles to back calls for immigration reform.
    On Saturday, Ms Arellano had said she was not afraid of being arrested by US immigration officials.
    "From the time I took sanctuary the possibility has existed that they arrest me in the place and time they want," she said.
    "I only have two choices. I either go to my country, Mexico, or stay and keep fighting. I decided to stay and fight."
    Ms Arellano first came illegally to the US in 1997. She was deported but returned days later.
    She settled in Chicago, working as a cleaner at O'Hare International Airport, where she was arrested in 2002 and convicted of being employed under a false Social Security number.
    Defying the law
    Ms Arellano was supposed to hand herself over for deportation on 15 August 2006, but instead sought refuge with her son at the Adalberto United Methodist Church in Chicago.
    US authorities did not attempt to seize her from the church.
    Immigrants' rights campaigners said they would stage protests and vigils to support her and demand her return to the US.
    But a group favouring limits on immigration said her arrest was long overdue. "Just because the woman has gone public and made an issue of the fact that she is defying law doesn't mean the government doesn't have to do its job," Ira Mehlman of the Federation for American Immigration Reform told the Associated Press.

18. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/08/21/space.shuttle/index.html

Shuttle lands safely in Florida

• NEW: Endeavour lands a day early at Kennedy Space Center
    • Mission cut short by Hurricane Dean
    • Mission managers: Gouge in space shuttle's belly posed no threat
    KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, Florida (CNN) -- The space shuttle Endeavour came home a day early on Tuesday after NASA decided to cut short its mission in case Hurricane Dean shut down Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas, which directs the shuttle's re-entry and landing.
    The shuttle touched down at Kennedy Space Center at 12:32 p.m. ET, 12 days after its departure on a mission to help assemble parts of the international space station.
    NASA made the decision Saturday to bring the shuttle back early, when forecasts for Dean showed the storm could veer to the north in the Gulf of Mexico and possibly force an evacuation of Johnson Space Center.
    But Dean, now a Category 2 hurricane, has stayed well to the south, passing over the Yucatan Peninsula early Tuesday.
    Endeavour's crew members had to cut short a spacewalk Saturday in their mission to help assemble the international space station and accelerate a number of other activities, such as cargo transfers with the space station, that had been on the docket for Sunday. [​IMG]Watch as Hurricane Dean hasn't been the only problem »
    The astronauts worked through a series of pre-landing procedures Sunday and Monday, including a thorough inspection of the shuttle's wing leading edges and nose cap for any micrometeorite or orbital debris damage that might have occurred while the shuttle has been in space.
    Last week, NASA managers determined that the crew would not have to repair heat shield tiles that were damaged 58 seconds after the August 8 liftoff, when a piece of insulating foam fell off the external fuel tank, ricocheted off a strut and hit the underside of the orbiter just below the right landing gear door.
    While the damage site is not large, measuring about 2½ x 3½ inches, the gouge is deep and penetrates all the way through the tile to the base.
    "The damage that we saw, after receiving all the engineering tests and analysis, was not a threat to crew safety," John Shannon, deputy shuttle program manager, said last week. "This is not something the astronauts are in danger about."
    For nearly a week, teams of engineers at multiple NASA centers ran tests and conducted a complex thermal analysis of the gouge to determine if the damaged area can safely withstand the 2,500-degree F temperatures that Endeavour's belly experiences during atmospheric re-entry.
    Shuttles with similar or greater tile damage have returned safely to Earth before, most notably Discovery in September 1988.
    But in 2003, a piece of insulating foam flew off the space shuttle Columbia's external tank during launch, causing a gash in the leading edge of that shuttle's left wing.
    When Columbia re-entered the atmosphere to land 16 days later, searing gases entered the hole, incinerating the spacecraft and its seven astronauts.
    NASA has outlined an ambitious shuttle launch schedule over the next few years to complete assembly of the international space station. If all goes as planned, NASA will fly 14 more missions before the fleet is retired in 2010.

19. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6956349.stm

Monster attack steals user data
    US job website Monster.com has suffered an online attack with the personal data of hundreds of thousands of users stolen, says a security firm.

A computer program was used to access the employers' section of the website using stolen log-in credentials.
    Symantec said the log-ins were used to harvest user names, e-mail addresses, home addresses and phone numbers, which were uploaded to a remote web server.
    The stolen data could be used to send phishing and spam e-mails.
    "This remote server held over 1.6 million entries with personal information belonging to several hundred thousands of candidates, mainly based in the US, who had posted their resumes to the Monster.com website," reported Symantec.
    Security breach
    The firm has contacted Monster.com to inform them of the security breach.
    Symantec said it had seen reports of phishing e-mails sent out to Monster.com users which were "very realistic" and contained "personal information of the victims".
    The e-mail encouraged users to download a Monster Job Seeker Tool, which was in fact a program that encrypted files in their computer and left a ransom note demanding money for their decryption.
    "To the best of our knowledge, this is not a hack of Monster's security, rather, legitimate customer credentials are being used to log in to the database," said Patrick Manzo, vice president of compliance and fraud prevention at Monster.
    He added: "There have been reports of this as an issue of identify theft.
    "We are not aware of any cases of identity theft. In fact, the information that is gathered from Monster is no different than that displayed in a phone book."
    The program used to access Monster.com user data was a Trojan, which are commonly used to gain access to bank details, usernames and passwords.
    More than 8,000 new variants of Trojans are found each month, according to internet security specialists Sophos.
    Last year, a British nurse was blackmailed by hackers who had used a Trojan to access her personal e-mails.
    They threatened to reveal personal details unless she paid them.
    Symantec said users should always limit contact information posted to job websites and to use a disposable e-mail address. "Never disclose sensitive details such as your social security number, passport or driver's license numbers, bank account information to prospective employers until you have established they are legitimate," said the firm.

20. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Full article
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/28/bodies.found.ap/index.html

Suspect in Texas murders arrested in New York

• Paul Devoe III to be arraigned Tuesday in New York
    • Devoe charged in death of ex-girlfriend in Texas; three bodies found with hers
    • Devoe also charged with murder of a bartender in Texas
    • Pennsylvania woman killed; her car found at house where Devoe was arrested
    AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- A manhunt for a gunman suspected of leaving a trail of six bodies as he made his way from Texas to New York ended after a brief standoff.
    Paul Devoe III, 43, who had a handgun with him, surrendered to authorities Monday in Shirley, New York. No one was injured during the arrest.
    Devoe was charged in the death of Paula Griffith, an ex-girlfriend and one of four people found Sunday shot to death in a home near Austin.
    Detectives also found the bodies of Griffith's 15-year-old daughter; 17-year-old Danielle Hensley; and Griffith's boyfriend, 48-year-old Jay Feltner, according to an arrest warrant affidavit. [​IMG]Watch police converge on house »
    Jonathon Griffith, of San Antonio, identified the 15-year-old victim as his sister, Haylie Marie Faulkner, the Austin American-Statesman reported.
    Devoe also was charged with murder in the slaying of a bartender in Marble Falls, Texas, on Friday and on a federal charge of unlawful flight to avoid prosecution, Supervisory Deputy U.S. Marshal Hector Gomez said.
    He was to be arraigned in New York on Tuesday.
    "I am thankful for the quick and dedicated response by the law enforcement community in taking Devoe in to custody before he was able to commit even more heinous crimes," LaFayette Collins, U.S. marshal for the western district of Texas, said in a statement.
    A vehicle found in the New York driveway where Devoe was arrested had Pennsylvania license plates, and a trace on those plates led to an elderly woman in Greencastle, Pennsylvania, who was found shot once in the head, according to the marshals.
    Pennsylvania State Trooper Edward S. Asbury said Betty Jane Dehart, 81, of Greencastle, Pennsylvania, was found dead and an autopsy was to be performed Tuesday.

21. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    click

Teen trades hacked iPhone for 'sweet' car

• George Hotz, 17, says he's unlocked an iPhone and is using T-Mobile's network
    • Hotz traded the iPhone for "a sweet Nissan 350Z," 3 iPhones
    • Apple's iPhone is exclusive to AT&T's wireless network
    • Hotz has posted instructions on his blog
    SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- The teenage hacker who managed to unlock the iPhone so that it can be used with cellular networks other than AT&T will be trading his reworked gadget for a new car.
    George Hotz, of Glen Rock, New Jersey, said he had reached the deal with CertiCell, a Louisville, Kentucky-based mobile phone repair company.
    Hotz posted on his blog that he traded his modified iPhone for "a sweet Nissan 350Z and 3 8GB iPhones."

22. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/13983339/detail.html

Corpse Abuse Alleged After Man Found Near Coffin

POSTED: 11:44 am EDT August 27, 2007
    UPDATED: 11:33 am EDT August 28, 2007

<SCRIPT src="/js/13260191/script.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><LINK href="/css/13260803/style.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><!--startindex-->MONESSEN, Pa. -- A Monessen man allegedly broke into a funeral parlor and tampered with a female corpse before getting caught in the act, police said.
    Roderick Jones, who police said was convicted of abuse of a corpse in 1999, is facing new charges stemming from the alleged incident on Sixth Street in Monessen last month.
    Funeral director Johnny Draper said he left the Draper Funeral Home on July 13 to talk to some friends across the street for about 10 minutes.
    When Draper noticed a light on in the basement, he went back inside -- and that's when, according to a police affidavit, he found Roderick Jones lying next to the coffin of a woman whom Draper had been preparing for burial.
    According to the affidavit, one of the deceased woman's legs was up in the air, her stockings had been removed and the plastic covering her body had been torn open.

23. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6967502.stm

Bush warns Iran over insurgents
    US President George W Bush has warned Iran to stop supporting the militants fighting against the US in Iraq.

In a speech to US war veterans in Reno, Nevada, Mr Bush renewed charges that Tehran has provided training and weapons for extremists in Iraq.
    "The Iranian regime must halt these actions," he said.
    Earlier, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad warned that US authority in the region was rapidly collapsing, and Iran would help fill the void.
    "Soon, we will see a huge power vacuum in the region," Mr Ahmadinejad said.
    "Of course, we are prepared to fill the gap, with the help of neighbours and regional friends like Saudi Arabia, and with the help of the Iraqi nation."
    'Nuclear threat'
    In America, Mr Bush hit back, accusing Iran's Revolutionary Guards of funding and arming insurgents in Iraq.
    And he said Iran's leaders could not avoid some responsibility for attacks on coalition troops and Iraqi civilians.
    He said he had authorised US commanders in Iraq to take action to confront what he called Iran's murderous activities there.
    In a wide-ranging speech, Mr Bush also tackled the issue of Iran's nuclear ambition - which Tehran insists is solely to provide power, but the US believes will be used to develop weapons. Mr Bush said Tehran's pursuit of nuclear technology threatened to put the Middle East "under the shadow of a nuclear holocaust".

24. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/30/bomb.threats/index.html

FBI: Bomb threats force stores to wire money

• FBI suspects extortion scam is based overseas; calls traced outside U.S.
    • Stores, banks in 12 states have received bomb threat calls demanding money
    • Caller says money must be electronically transferred or bomb will go off
    • In one case, caller ordered customers, store employees, to take off their clothes
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Federal investigators are looking overseas for clues and suspects in a scam that uses bomb threats to extort money from banks and stores, law enforcement officials told CNN.
    For the past week, banks and stores in 12 states have been hit by the scam, in which a caller claims there is a bomb on the premises that can be detonated if employees don't meet a demand to wire money to a specific account.
    In one incident in Kansas, the caller ordered store employees and customers to take off their clothes, police said.
    A source told CNN that investigators are looking for a suspect in Portugal who appears to be linked to an account number the caller uses in his demands.
    At least $13,000 has been extorted, according to a law enforcement source.
    One of the latest calls came into the Hannaford grocery store in the small town of Millinocket, Maine, on Wednesday.
    As in many of the cases, the caller "[made] it seem very realistic that they're right in the building or right outside, almost like they have a visual," Millinocket Police Chief Donald Bolduc said.
    About 38 shoppers and employees stayed in the store for at least three hours while police investigated the call, the chief said.
    According to the Bangor Daily News, employee Linda Day answered the phone and the caller said, "This is a threat. Don't put me on hold."
    The call startled Day, who said "What?" and then handed the phone to someone else, who verified the threat, the newspaper reported.
    Bolduc said police tried to trace the call, which originated from a cell phone. "It was either national or international ... it was not a local cell phone company," he said.
    Bolduc said the scare was "quite significant" to the small rural community, about 72 miles north of Bangor.
    "You just don't think of things happening like this in our area," he said.
    Bolduc said his department and other local law enforcement agencies are working with the FBI.
    FBI spokesman Rich Kolko said the spate of scam calls started in Portland, Oregon, on August 23 and picked up momentum three days later.
    "The investigation and leads so far point to it being likely this is one person or one group," he said. "This is criminal."
    Kolko added there is no link to terrorism.
    In addition to Maine and Oregon, the scam calls have been received in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah and Virginia, officials said.
    Incidents at two Dillons grocery stores in Hutchinson, Kansas, are believed to have links to the wider investigation, Lt. Paul Scofield with Hutchinson police told CNN.
    On Tuesday, more than 100 employees and shoppers at a Dillons were ordered to take off their clothes, and led to believe the caller was watching them, Scofield said.
    "Some did actually disrobe, and others didn't," he said.
    Police are still investigating whether the caller was watching the store, he said, adding that "whoever it was sure had them convinced they were."
    Scofield told CNN that several other bomb threats in the town on Wednesday were determined to be copycat crimes.
    Kansas City FBI spokesman Jeff Lanza confirmed that the incident Tuesday in Hutchinson was on his radar, as well as one at the Nodaway bank in Savannah, Missouri, which received a threat on Friday.
    In another incident, a Wal-Mart store in Newport, Rhode Island, was evacuated Tuesday morning after getting such a bomb threat.
    The caller to the Wal-Mart demanded that $10,000 be wired to a location outside the United States, according to Sgt. James Quinn with the Newport police. The frightened employees did not send the full $10,000, a federal law enforcement source said.
    The employees were afraid the would-be bomber was in their store; they didn't leave until a SWAT team arrived, Quinn said.
    Quinn said early speculation that the caller was a disgruntled employee was shot down and that the call was traced to outside the United States. He would not disclose the location.

25. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/30/vtech.investigation/index.html

Warnings could have saved lives at Virginia Tech, report says
    Story Highlights
    • Report: Timely and specific information might have saved lives
    • Quicker action still may not have prevented the tragedy, probe says
    • Recommendations include better, faster communications
    • Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine set to speak on findings at Thursday news briefing.<!--startclickprintexclude--><!--endclickprintexclude--><!--startclickprintexclude--><!--endclickprintexclude-->
    (CNN) -- Better information by officials might have saved lives in the Virginia Tech massacre, an investigation into the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history said.

<!-- /PURGE: /2007/US/08/30/vtech.investigation/art.vatech.ap.jpg --><!-- /REAP --><!--endclickprintexclude-->Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine said university officials did not know about gunman Seung-Hui Cho's violent tendencies until it was too late.
    "That was a huge missed opportunity," he said.
    The report criticized the university's failure to warn people on campus of the imminent danger.
    "Warning the students, faculty and staff might have made a difference," the report said. "So the earlier and clearer the warning, the more chance an individual had of surviving."
    On April 16, Cho killed 32 students and staff before taking his own life. Seventeen others were wounded in the shootings.
    The several-hundred-page report was issued late Wednesday by an independent group formed by Kaine.
    Kaine's Virginia Tech Review Panel, which includes former Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge, looked at the shooting and police response as well as the mental-health system that failed to identify Cho as a threat before his rampage.
    The university has been criticized for not giving students and staff proper warning after two students were found dead in West Ambler Johnston dormitory around 7 a.m. the day of the killings. The campus remained open and was not locked down after those bodies were found. [​IMG]Watch Kaine acknowledge problems with response »
    It was almost 9:30 a.m. before Virginia Tech authorities sent an e-mail to students and staff, warning of a shooting on campus and telling the "university community" to be cautious and to report any suspicious activity.
    <!--startclickprintexclude-->Police initially believed that the first two deaths may have been a case of domestic violence, which delayed transmission of the warning.

About 20 minutes after the e-mail went out, Cho, 23, opened fire in an engineering building across campus.
    "The university administration failed to notify students and staff of a dangerous situation in a timely manner," the report said. "The first message sent by the university to students could have been sent at least an hour earlier and been more specific."
    Even with the criticism of the university, the panel acknowledged that quicker action by Virginia Tech officials may not have made much of a difference.
    "Despite the ... findings, there does not seem to be a plausible scenario of university response to the double homicide that could have prevented a tragedy of considerable magnitude on April 16."
    The report made five recommendations:

Police should resist focusing on a single theory in the early stages of an investigation and should communicate the information to "decision makers."

In an "alerting message," all key facts should be included and distributed as quickly as possible.

Those receiving the emergency messages should be urged to spread the information to others.

Multiple communication systems should be established to disseminate the information. <!--endclickprintexclude-->
    Plans to cancel classes or close the campus should be part of the university's emergency plan.
    Wednesday's report follows on the heels of two other published reports -- a federal report and an internal review by university officials.<!--startclickprintexclude-->

26. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Full article:
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/30/spider.web.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

Monster spider web spun in Texas

WILLS POINT, Texas (AP) -- Entomologists are debating the origin and rarity of a sprawling spider web that blankets several trees, shrubs and the ground along a 200-yard stretch of trail in a North Texas park.
    <!--startclickprintexclude--><!-- REAP --><!-- PURGE: /2007/US/08/30/spider.web.ap/art.web.ap.jpg --><!-- KEEP --><!----><!--===========IMAGE============-->[​IMG]<!--===========/IMAGE===========-->
    <!--===========CAPTION==========-->Lake Tawokoni State Park rangers Mike McCord, left, and Freddie Gowin check out a giant spider web at the park.<!--===========/CAPTION=========-->

Officials at Lake Tawakoni State Park say the massive mosquito trap is a big attraction for some visitors, while others won't go anywhere near it.
    "At first, it was so white it looked like fairyland," said Donna Garde, superintendent of the park about 45 miles east of Dallas. "Now it's filled with so many mosquitoes that it's turned a little brown. There are times you can literally hear the screech of millions of mosquitoes caught in those webs."
    Spider experts say the web may have been constructed by social cobweb spiders, which work together, or could be the result of a mass dispersal in which the arachnids spin webs to spread out from one another.

27. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Full article
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/08/29/wireless.chicago.ap/index.html

Chicago scraps city Wi-Fi plan
    Story Highlights
    • Chicago drops plan for city Wi-Fi network
    • Providing coverage to 228 square mile city would be too expensive
    • Officials say technology changed dramatically since plan was announced
    CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- An ambitious plan to blanket the city with wireless broadband Internet will be shelved because it is too costly and too few residents would use it, Chicago officials said Tuesday.
    "We realized -- after much consideration -- that we needed to reevaluate our approach to provide universal and affordable access to high speed Internet as part of the city's broader digital inclusion efforts," Chicago's chief information officer, Hardik Bhatt, said in a statement.
    The plan to blanket Chicago's 228 square miles with wireless Internet access was announced early last year when Chicago leaders said they hoped to become one of the largest cities to offer all-over access to the Web.
    Instead, the city said its negotiations with private-sector partners, including EarthLink Inc., have stalled because any citywide Wi-Fi would require massive public financing. The city had hoped to provide only infrastructure for the network.