1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Newsday: Chargers quarterback talks tough, backs it up.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by rexy2006, Jan 13, 2010.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Rivers shoots from the lip ... and the hip

Chargers quarterback talks tough, backs it up.

By Greg Logan
    NEWSDAY
    Thursday, January 14, 2010

He's a worthy successor to Drew Brees as quarterback of the Chargers and now has the chance to prove himself the equal of 2004 draft classmates Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger if he matches their Super Bowl wins, but San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers knows he faces one more obstacle to gain NFL-wide respect — his own reputation as a shoot-from-the-lip trash talker.

"I think it's a perception that's been created that's not 100 percent accurate," Rivers said Wednesday. "I mean, I do like to have fun and interact out there with the guys on the opposing team, but to call it trash-talking is probably a big overstatement.

"I just like to play the game with a lot of passion and enthusiasm. I don't go into games with scripts to interact with opposing defenses."

Rivers compared it to the friendly kidding that went on in backyard basketball games when he was growing up in Athens, Ala.

Jets wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery, who attended Phillips High in Birmingham and faced Rivers in football and basketball before they attended North Carolina State together, has seen Rivers from both sides.

"Off the field, he's one of the coolest guys you could ever be around," Cotchery said. Referring to their video game competition, he added, "We played 'Madden' all day long. He talks trash in 'Madden' now. But he's cool. He's a family guy. You always hear him talking about his family.

"On the field, I'm seeing the same things from high school all the way to now. We've always talked about his accuracy and him being a leader and just having an understanding of the game. The only thing is he's just getting older."

Rivers' cocky attitude when he arrived in the NFL was humbled during his first two seasons riding the bench behind Brees before the trade that sent him to New Orleans. But he used that time to gain respect where it mattered most — inside his locker room.

"The two years where I didn't play and was able to sit and learn, I benefited and appreciate those now," Rivers said. "It was tough at the time, but I tried to develop those relationships even in years one and two. I was able to ease in there and make the transition a lot smoother."

Ultimately, respect is earned on Sundays, and Rivers now ranks among the NFL's elite quarterbacks. Ask him about the Jets' No. 1-ranked defense and Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis, and Rivers gives plenty of respect to a defense that allowed only eight touchdown passes. He threw for 28 TDs and a mere nine interceptions.
    As much as he loves going deep to wideouts Vincent Jackson and Malcolm Floyd, Rivers might slow the Jets' rush with the short passing game to tight end Antonio Gates and running back Darren Sproles.

"One thing we do is we get the ball out," Rivers said. "We push it down the field, but I try not to stand back there holding onto the ball very long. The way the Jets come at you, I had better get it out quickly."

Of course, Rivers' respect for the Jets' defense might go out the window in San Diego's huddle on Sunday.

"He plays with a lot of fierceness," the Chargers' Jackson said. "He has a little swagger to him. That's one of the things I love about him. When you get in that huddle, he believes each and every time we're going to score."

Originally titled,"Chargers' Rivers competitive, but takes out trash" in Newsday, January 13, 2010.

Posted by the Statesman, Austin, Texas and Tweeted by NFL FanFeedr

http://www.fanfeedr.com/nfl/2010/01/14/rivers-shoots-from-the-lip-and-the-hip

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Dude's gonna go down as one of the greats.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    It makes me wonder if he hadn't sat for 2yrs what his "attitude" would be like.

It doesn't matter now, PR's game is FILTHY!

• Like Like x 1
  4. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I hate sloppy reporting. Drew Brees left as a free agent, the Chargers didn't trade him.

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Nice write up

but

we didn't trade Brees

Just sayin

:bolt:

6. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    sorry, buddy. didn't mean to step on your post

:flag:

7. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    As usual, a day late and a dollar short. :lol:

Hey, I'm heading to Michigan in a couple of weeks. :icon_eek:

8. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I heard they were transferring some prisoners from out of state.

:lol:

What part?

9. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    You guys keep your eye on the ball at least. This was written by a guy in New York. Those East Coast media NEVER get it right.

SDCE is stalking urbanwal. Who knew?:icon_eek:

:abq2:Go Charguhs, baby:abq1:

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Who Drew what????

11. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I was aquitted of all charges. :tup:

Detroit.

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    You were aquitted, and still have to go to Detroit.

Wow, I would hae taken the conviction...

:icon_rofl:

13. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Turn the lights out when you leave

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Not to mention his arm was torn off like a chicken wing.

15. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    yeah, good job to the saints. actually, good job to brees for bouncing back from an injury like that

16. RiversRules

RiversRules BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

17. chargersfaithful

chargersfaithful BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    :icon_beer: I do believe that it's a overstatement to say that Rivers trash talks! It's just friendly competitiveness