1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Next Chargers coach, G.M. will report to owner’s son, John Spanos

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Dec 29, 2012.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,078
    I don't know that's it's "wrong" per say. Johnny probably is going to get a promotion out of this and will probably be made an Executive VP of Player Personnel (it's not uncommon for families that own teams to do this, John Mara did this with his son Chris and saw this same appointment given to him by his father Wellington; Dan/Art Rooney has done it with his sons in Pittsburgh). And yes, at least administratively as far as the chain of command is concerned, the GM and Head Coach would report to that office, but it doesn't necessarily mean that that office is handing out the shopping list or holding training sessions. At present Johnny Boy is the only Spanos without the EVP title, so this probably means he's getting that.

Maybe he gets that and Raye gets McGuire's job... or who really knows. It looks like, and rightfully so, Dean has aspirations of keeping McGuire around. And why wouldn't he? As far as structuring contracts and keeping us out of cap trouble consistently McGuire's done a damn good job.

2. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    The new coach and GM will still report to Dean. That's what is wrong Dean is still the Boss.

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Not for long though.......

Spanos correctly added that the “GM is the foundation for building a football franchise, “and that, in the end, “it will be my hire,” although Wolf, capologist Ed McGuire and son John Spanos, the club’s director of college scouting, will be deeply involved in the hiring process.

It also had been widely assumed son John eventually would take over as GM, but dad put that assumption to bed.

“In some point in time, not this year, but somewhere down the line, he’s taking my position,” Dean said. “My other son (A.G.) runs the business operation. He (John) is not going to be general manager.”

4. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    I totally agree John is being prepped to take over for Dean. I expect that in 2-3 years with my point is PFT is the rumor swill of NFL media.