1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Next man up bastages!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Team says it likes options already in place
    Written by Michael Gehlken

After losing Ryan Mathews to a broken clavicle, the Chargers have no plans to add depth at running back.

The way they see it, they already have.

Mathews suffered the injury during his first carry of the first quarter of the Chargers' first preseason game Thursday night. He is expected to miss four to six weeks and is considered unlikely to play in the season opener against the Raiders.

Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith said Friday the team will stand pat with the backup options in place.

“We made a concerted effort to add quality, proven veteran players at many positions," Smith said. "There’s a reason why (Le'Ron) McClain, (Ronnie) Brown and (Jackie) Battle were added. Curtis Brinkley is a talented kid, and that’s why he’s been in our program for three years.

"It’s next man up time. We are about to see how well we did with our offseason running back choices. Coach (Norv) Turner will sort it all out in the next three games.”

Turner has been highly complimentary of Brown during training camp.
    On Friday, he called him a "complete back."

Brown could see the bulk of touches as the Chargers mix in McClain in certain situations, including short yardage.

But, as Smith alluded, all that will be ironed out over the course of the preseason.

"I like our backs," Turner said. "I like the guys we have here, and I'm excited about them and what they've been doing. We'll just get ready to go with the guys we have until Ryan is ready. ... Ryan will come back healthy. He's on his way to having a great season, and I don't think this will detour that."

The Chargers identified depth as a contributing factor to their current two-year playoff drought.

So, they addressed it.

Smith was active in free agency, picking from what he labeled the deepest group of free agency options in NFL history. The Chargers entered training camp with 20 veterans signed since March, 16 of which were not on the roster last year.

At running back, along with signing Brown, Battle and versatile fullback McClain, the team took Edwin Baker in the seventh round and signed undrafted rookie Michael Hayes, adding them all to Mathews, Brinkley and fullback Jacob Hester.

If Mathews indeed misses the start of the season, his absence may mark the first true test of the Chargers' depth.

“Some air came out of the balloon last night, for sure," Smith said. "But it’s full today. It’s disappointing for us to have to start the season without Ryan. But disappointment lurks around every corner in the NFL. You don’t ever dwell on it. You deal with it right now.”

2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    What, wait. What?

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Wakey, wakey. ;)

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    There are no RBs worth signing.

No, LT is not worth discussing.

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I like the 3 Bs we got now. My prefered order would be Brown Brinkley Battle. 2 of 3 imo can post 4 YPC. If you expect more, McClain will oblidge and if not FU!... No not that. But seriously if we can get 4 YPC average, I am more than confident that our passing attack will keep defenses honest...............and guessing.

6. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Curtis Brinkley played well last night vs Green Bay, I really want to see him make the team because he earns the job. When asked last year he performed well. Next man I guess.

7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +943
    Still think Ryan Grant is a possibility.. and Hayes, Baker, Battle, and Brinkley do not impress Norv I will not be shocked to see them go for Grant, who's return to the Packers has taken a hit because Benson is about to sign.

Even without Grant I think Brown getting about 5-8 carries a game and McClain getting about 10-12 is just about fair. Brinkley will get his touches in the 3rd down packages I think.. or we could very well see Hayes sooner than later..

8. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    I'd take my chances with Addai if I had to sign someone. He's available again. I'd drop any of the clowns we have now and go with the 29 year old Addai who avg's. 4.1 ypc.
    1x ncaa national champion
    2x afc champion
    1x pro bowler
    1x superbowl champion

but, I don't see it happening.

Wow, it IS late. I just noticed that I'm talking about signing Addai.:laugh:
    Okay, going to bed.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    GB seems to think Benson is worth adding.