1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Next Year

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Nov 19, 2012.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Now, I'm not writing this season off just yet, basically cause I'm a homer. But a 4-6, with only 2 teams with a winning percentage above .500 right now we have left to play, looks like another 8-8 season to be honest with you guys. But we all know the Ravens absolutely suck on the west coast, so could we actually finish 9-7 and make the playoffs? That's hard to do, go 6-1.. But the Chargers have done it before.

Either way, we would be playing the Patriots or Broncos. So if we did make it to the playoffs we'd most likely be one and done.

But focusing on next year.. What will we do at the HC position? GM position? If we make the playoffs I see AJ here but Norv not (could be wrong). Honestly I like David Shaw. His team went on the road, against #2 ranked Oregon and an explosive offense and played hard, physical, smart football, won the game and held Orgeon to 14 points. And similar play between Shaw and Schiano's teams. Shaw has been around the NFL as well. He's under studied Harbaurgh.

Shaw plays the 3-4, I'm pretty sure at Stanford. And quite honestly I'd like to see the 4-3 here in San Diego. I think we have the defensive front to do it, just not the linebackers to. Butler lacks that 4-3 speed and Spikes we all know is declining, but is here for a year. So if we do change formations on the defensive side, I'd like to see us bring in Daryl Smith or Justin Durant.

But say there are no defensive formation changes, lets just focus on the team as is and see what we can do to improve.

1st thing is to improve the offensive line. Shocker. We've all seen how bad it is this year. Last year it was pretty bad, but this year its even worse. Which is leading to Rivers' ****** play. But some mistakes fall on PR as well, so I am not making an excuse for him. But improve in FA.

2nd thing is to improve the secondary. Cut ties with Jammer at Corner, and move him to Strong Safety on a 1 year contract. Cut ties with Cason as well, wave him good bye. We have to sign a corner in free agency, and draft a Corner in the first round of the draft.

Re-sign: Danario Alexander, Antwan Barnes, Ronnie Brown, Aubrayo Franklin, Quentin Jammer, Vaughn Martin, Nick Novak, Louis Vasquez, and Mike Windt.

Draft: 1. Xavier Rhodes (CB), 2. Eric Fisher (T/G), 3. Shayne Skov (ILB) 4. Montee Ball (RB) 5. Brandon Jenkins (OLB) 6. Caleb Sturgis (K) 7. Tyrann Mathieu (CB)*

*If he already isn't taken. He will most likely enter the draft since he was just caught with weed again and LSU probably won't let him back on the football field. I think the talent outweighs the cost. A 7th round pick won't hurt us. Heck I'd spend a 6th rounder on him. I think once he gets to the NFL, with good coaching, he could be a solid nickel corner.

Roster,
    QB: Rivers, CBJ
    RB: Mathews, Ball, Brown, Baker
    FB: McClain
    WR: Floyd, Brown, Alexander, Meachem, Royal
    TE: Gates, McMichael, Green
    LT: FA*, Gaither
    LG: Dombrowski, Troutman
    C: Hardwick, Molk
    RG: Vasquez, Fisher*
    RT: Harris, Clary
    *Fisher, if we can draft this kid int he 2nd it'll be special. So versatile, can play Guard and Tackle, and is quick. Something we need facing Miller & Dumervil twice a year.
    FA*That could be either Brandon Albert if he's not franchised or Jermon Bushrod; move Gaither to RT. Or Sign Vollmer at RT and keep Gaither and Harris at LT.
    RDE: Liuget, Reyes
    LDE: Martin, Reyes
    DT: Franklin, Garay, Thomas
    ROLB: Ingram, Barnes
    LOLB: Johnson, English, Jenkins
    MLB: Butler, Spikes, Mouton, Skov, Gahcker
    RCB: FA*, Gilchrist, Mathieu
    LCB: Wright, Rhodes
    SS: Jammer, Taylor
    FS: Weddle, Stuckey
    FA* Marcus Trufant, or Sam Shields, Mike Jenkins, and Cary Williams.
    P: Scifres
    K: Sturgis

Young but experienced as well..

2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    You need to have more faith in our team. I still believe that we can go 4-12.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. MMJ4mil

MMJ4mil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Sell the team Spanos. Thanks. Time for new leadership

• Like Like x 1
  4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +498
    come out of FA with a "Goff-caliber" Olinemen (don't care what position, just a good linemen). Draft at least two more (in the first 4 rounds), while you're at it get a CB or two, move Jammer to SS

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    This team won't win more than 2 more games.

I have this strange feeling they're gonna beat the Ravens, but based on matchups there's no good reason to feel that way. So it means I'm probably wrong.

6-10 gets you a top 10 pick this year.

Take the best player in the draft OR manti te'o (who is probably the best player in draft)

But whatever you do... DO NOT keep Larry English or Cason on this football team. They embody everything that is still wrong with this organization (ie, they have high paying jobs despite being the worst in the league at their respective positions).

Assuming they miss the playoffs (which they will) AJ might still stick around if he's able to deliver hope in the form of Gruden. AJ will do anything he can to keep his job. Because he knows nobody else is going to hire him to do what he has in San Diego (be a complete A-hole who lets talent walk out the door for nothing in exchange).

Yes, we all may not be in favor of this but Spanos will see it as a way to put butts in the seats and potentially get the team on the right track. Remember, this is an owner who doesn't care about winning a Superbowl as much as he cares about making sure you show up to games and keep buying his mediocre product.

Don't waste your time predicting what the starting day lineups will be. Because most likely there will be a new head coach. And if he's worth a shiit he ain't gonna sit back and let guys like Green and Vasquez get playing time ahead of just about any other capable warm body. These two are garbage and shouldn't be anything other than career backups.

6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'm not sure that a 6-win team is picking top 10 this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837

I would love this draft, Milliner and Rhodes are the top 2 corners I want this year, Fisher or Dallas Thomas would be solid picks, Scouts are saying that Skov is considered an late 2nd early third rounder and could be a better value than Teo. Jenkins was a guy I was watching and waiting for him to declare for the NFL I want him on our team, The honey badger is a guy I hope they take a gamble on. Look at Jenkins and Burfict the seem to be panning out alright, I believe talent outweighs doo doo brains 9/10.

Another good thing I just read

Chargers beat writer Kevin Acee expects the team to begin long-term contract talks with ILB Donald Butler this offseason.
    After being a part-time player in 2011, his second season in the NFL, Butler has missed just two defensive snaps this year for the Chargers' No. 3 run defense. Pro Football Focus ranks Butler No. 9 out of 24 inside linebackers who have played 75 percent or more of the snaps for their respective team. Acee calls it a "virtual guarantee" that Butler won't escape the offseason without at least turning down a lucrative extension. He's currently in the third year of his four-year rookie deal.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    To me, there are just pieces you have to keep here for next year and the future obviously. So to me, untouchable pieces will be:

Offense,
    Rivers, Mathews, McClain, Floyd, V. Brown, Alexander*, Gates, McMichael, L. Green, Harris, Dombo, Troutman, Hardwick, Molk, Vasquez.
    Defense,
    Liuget, Reyes, Martin, Franklin, Thomas, Ingram, Johnson, Butler, Mouton, Phillips, Wright, Gilchrist, Taylor, Weddle, Stuckey.
    ST,
    Scifres, Windt/Nelson

*Now Alexander, could be another Gaither mistake if we get too ahead of ourselves. He's had injury issues in the past, something like 6 knee surgeries. So, I'd re-sign him without a doubt, but a similar David Ortiz deal he just took here in Boston. He's guaranteed a certain amount of money, BUT if he injures his achilles again they can do something with his contract, I don't know the details but its a specific and previous injury. I don't know if you can do that in the NFL though but it would be smart to.

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I don't think Phillips and Martin are untouchable. Really unless SP signs for the veteran minimum (still a decent chunk of money) I think he's gone.

10. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I think you have to sign him. 2 year deal, he's not going to go anywhere and get more than a 2 year deal I think. Most he'll get is 3 years. He's 32, going to be 33 around FA. Doesn't posses the speed he once had either.

To me he is more important than Barnes to re-sign. He has the most sacks on this team with 6, improved since last year, and he is really are only threat because Ingram hasn't provided much. Jarret Johnson is a run stopping guy, not a pass rusher. Larry English has 1/2 sack this year, almost a career high lol He'll be gone next year. Barnes is a rotational guy and he has high expectations with his 11 sacks last year and has provided only 1. I'll be surprised if he gets a hard look from else where.

Martin we have to retain too I think. He is a solid run stopping guy, good size, eats up a blocker or too, and where else will you find a guy who can play DE/DT cheaper than him and will contribute the most. Martin & Reyes have a good rotation going.

11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723

A 2 year deal is fine...but for the minimum, and with no guarantee that he'll start next year. SP is not the player he was, he's never been a 10 sack guy, he's never been a team leader, and I think during negotiations he'll surprise people with how selfish he actually is. Personally I just feel like its time to move on, but for depth reasons I can see why he might stick for a short while.

Also I think people will be disgruntled by how little cap room we actually have come 2013 offseason.

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Won't we have like $25-30M?

I agree with Phillips as well. Just the way he carries himself, and the way he talks, he seems like a selfish guy. I'm sure he'll turn down a 2yr/$7M, which to me I think is over priced but still fair. He'll deff look for a 2yr/$10M deal and land on a team like the Panthers or Jaguars.. He probably wants close to what he's getting now, which is $5.6M..

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    If you don't count the 40 or so players who's pay increases, remember all contracts are back loaded.

For example Jarret Johnson's cap hit rises from $2.56M to $4.5M.
    Robert Meachem's cap hit will go from $3.375m to rougly $6.8M

Jared Gaither, LeRon McLain, Philip Rivers, Ryan Mathews, Eric Weddle etc...etc.. and so on, everyone under contract will make more money. Not including re-signs like Butler, Vasquez, and Alexander who were bargains will start making real money.

In the end I wouldn't be surprised if we're actually over the cap

14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Yes I'm aware of that but I was just on Spotrac and it looked like it will be roughly under $100M, maybe I miscounted, I don't know lol

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636

$99,261,715

that's the cap # for next year..

16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I'm not always sure that site is deadly accurate.

If you consider how much cap room we have today, subtract the cap hits for the UFA (Phillips, Jammer, Spikes etc...), and add the elevators...we should come out damn near even. Even worse if we end up cutting Gaither and Meachem. We'll be able to afford 3rd tier veterans and draft picks to fill out the roster.

17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    yeah..

http://www.sportscity.com/nfl/salaries/san-diego-chargers-salaries/

idk, looks right, but then again most of the time I'm wrong with these salary cap things..

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Yeah this is where I get confused, because it looks like it should be correct...but if it is it means we have about 20 million in open cap space right now....and thats simply not the case. (2012 cap = about 120 million)

19. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think that Martin needs to be retained, and the reason for this is that he is exactly the kind of player that you don't let walk away. We picked him up on potential, developed that potential while getting very little production from him, and now that his production is starting to match his potential we're just going to let him go to another team? That's how bad teams operate, not winners.