1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Next Year's Outlook

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by maestro876, Jan 20, 2008.

1. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I think we are odds-on favorites to win the Super Bowl next year. If LT, Rivers, and Gates had all been 100%, we'd have won this game.

The way our receivers came along, the way Philip matured, and the way the players are believing in the coaches, we have a great outlook for next year.

Our schedule is relatively easy--we get the AFC East and NFC South, which barring big off-season moves we should be able to at least go 3-1 against each. We get NE and IND at home, our toughest road game is @PIT.

With Philip, LT, and Gates all 100%, we will be a force to be reckoned with next year.

2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I agree, With a healthy gates and ladanian we would have scored t.d.'s instead of field goals and won.

Teams gonna be intact next year. They'll add two or three better players and the chargers should be very powerful next year. They've got expierence now with playoffs. The chargers will definetly be a force big time next year.

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Well said maestro. My boys were saying the exact same thing. We'll be back. We still have the most talent in the league. And AJ is just gonna make it better. I'm good. :yes:

4. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    The only way we are the favorites, is if the Patriots lose Moss in the offseason (or if BB decides to walk away after 19-0, which I don't think would be too shocking).

We should be considered the strongest challengers though. The only thing we are deficient against Indy is the number of commercials we are in.

5. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Both Moss and Samuel are going to be UFAs. They're going to have to pick one or the other. They will probably pick Moss, which means their defense will get that much worse, as without Samuel, the only playmaker they have in the secondary is Harrison, and he can't be everywhere at once.

6. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    LOL

We're setup for a better next year. We're a young team at this point, attrition isn't a problem.

7. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    forgot about samuel

8. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Very good outlook. Lot's of guys getting more experience, and I like the way that Norv has transitioned the team away from relying solely on LT.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    they might not get either
    I wouldn't be surprised if a team like Jacksonville or Tennessee would run out and grab Moss to a big deal. Both would be well suited to deal with him. Samuel's gone for sure

Edit: Speaking about us the following people need to GO
    -Marlon Mcree to be replaced by Eric Weddle
    -Shane Olivea to be replaced in the draft by a backup or by Roman Oben
    -Drayton Florence to be replaced by Paul Oliver
    -Mike Goff to be replaced by Scott MRzucowski
    -Clinton Hart (I'm on the fence) don't know who'd replace him

10. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Gotta go with this train of thought.
    We are going to be mentioned in the championship talk, but until we actually get there, we will not be favored...and I for one will be glad, this team starts to believe it's press clippings when it shouldn't.
    We'll be right in the middle of it next year, but at the start of next season, favored to reach the superbowl we will not be.

11. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    That's a good point. Like it or not, this is a passing league now, and the Chargers' future is in Rivers, Chambers, Jackson, Davis, and Gates.

12. BajaBolt

BajaBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    Our deep passing game really took a huge step forward this year, but we must add better designed pass plays to keep the chains moving.

Granted having Gates hobbled and LT out hurt that possession-type game, but you could see that NE had better designed plays to get the short first downs. You've got to have those to win.

We held Moss and the deep ball completely in check this game, but their ability to keep the ball in the second half buried us.

We need to add that dimension back. Let's hope LT can recover from both his injuries (remember he was banged up down the stretch BEFORE the colts game) and come back strong. We'll need him next year.

13. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    We'll be back next year in the playoffs, the question next year is who does this team become? the Buffalo Bills or the Houston Oilers?

The core of this team is young and the depth is there, AJ has a ton of work to do and we still have our no. 1 pick come April.

Expectations are sky high and nothing less than a SB appearance will be acceptable.

This has been a dissapointing season.

Stan 17

14. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38

I personally could care less about media predictions which outside of this year on picking the patriots for the AFC title game I would consider a lucky selection.

Stan 17

15. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38
    Amen, to that.

Shout out to my friend Jennifer and her new hubby, hey we did the best we could and we expect more next year, hope you aren't hurting too much.

Stan 17

16. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    WE probably would have won if ladanian and gates were healthy. i'd be surprised that we lost if that were the case. The chargers needed some folks to get the ball into the endzone and we would have won. This was a great season. A team can only do so much. Gotta have talent that can't be stopped. Looks like were just one more player that can get the ball into the end zone away from that.

All A.j. has to do is find one or two better players and we'll be the strongest team next year. Gotta find a running back that can get the ball into the end zone other than ladanian just in case. And Jamalls real backup. Jamall seems to be getting older now. Gotta find his serious intern very soon.

17. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    I have the same prediction Moss stays Samuel goes. BB is going to need to use most of his draft picks on defense (either picks or trades)

I predict you lose M. Turner. Anywhere else he get to be RB#1.

I would have to say the two toughest games on your schedule is Patriots and Colts. Two toughest on Pats are you and Colts.

18. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38

Then we agree to disagree, the SB run expectations for the Chargers began with last years upset loss to the pats and will continue for a while, but my expectations of superbowl appearances are yearly, just getting to the conference title is not a goal I share. Winning it all is the ONLY thing worth a darn, anything else is dissapointing. IMO.

Stan 17