1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 101: Larry English

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006

Larry English, with Morod Shah
    Posted Oct 2, 2009

Linebacker Larry English, the team’s first choice in this year’s draft, believes he took a big step forward last week in his playing time against Miami and now looks forward to playing the defending Super Bowl champs on national TV.

After getting a few games under my belt, I feel a whole lot more comfortable with what I’m doing out there on the field. It was unfortunate that Shawne Merriman[​IMG] was held out of most of the game against Miami, but I felt I got a lot of quality time and I felt like I did a descent job in filling his position. It was great for me to get in there and get the experience of playing almost a whole game. I feel like the more that I’m in the game, the more comfortable I am out there. I feel like I did pretty well but I definitely know that I can do better and make more plays.

I’m not sure how much I’ll get in there against Pittsburgh, but I know that I’m ready for whatever is asked of me to help this football team win.

I’m excited to travel out to Pittsburgh for the first time. I hear that the football atmosphere out there is crazy. When I get in front of fans that loud and that rowdy, it only fuels me to play harder and better. Hopefully this is the week that all my hard work will pay off a little and I can get my first sack. With a big guy like Ben Roethlisberger, it’s important to wrap him up because he can really make a defense pay by keeping the play alive. He’s great at escaping pass rushers so my main focus is to get him down.

This week I had the chance to go out in the community and help some kids. I went with a bunch of my teammates to Payless Shoesource and helped some kids pick out a new pair of shoes. It was nice to see their faces when we gave them their shoes. I think it’s something that will leave a lasting memory on not only the kids, but on me as well. I really enjoyed doing something good for those kids.

After this week we’ll get a little time off, but no time to think about the bye yet. We’ve got a big one Sunday in Pittsburgh. Getting to 3-1 at the bye would be huge. As a team, we’re focused right now. Hopefully I can make a couple of plays and help us come back with a big ‘W.’