1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 101: Rookie English

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 7, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Larry English
    Posted May 7, 2009

First-round draft pick Larry English will chronicle his rookie season in a diary for Chargers.com. In his first installment, he discusses his introduction to the NFL at last weekend’s minicamp.

The last couple of weeks have been really hectic, but at the same time they’ve been really good. The day after the draft, I flew to San Diego for my introductory press conference. I did some interviews Monday morning and then flew back to Chicago for the week. On Thursday, I turned around and headed back to San Diego for minicamp, which went really well.

It was nice that the minicamp was mandatory for our veterans. A lot of teams have a minicamp for just rookies, and I don’t think those guys get a true feel for what this level is going to be like. We got a chance to get acclimated to the speed, the schedules, the routine and got to see how the veterans go about their business. It was great to be around all the guys.

There wasn’t anything that really surprised me last weekend. It was camp. I guess you never really get used to camp, but you know what to expect. It was good from a teaching standpoint. I learned a lot and got a good feel for the defense, for how Coach Turner runs practice and runs meetings.

The weekend went by really quick. I flew back to Chicago Sunday evening after our last practice. I’m just working out and making sure that I’m ready for OCS’s (Offseason Coaching Sessions). I graduated in December with a degree in liberal arts, but even though I’m through with classes, rookies aren’t allowed to work out at their team’s facility until their school is out for the summer. I’m just working out and studying the defense. I’m keeping it pretty low key and spending a lot of time with my family.

I’m happy with where I’m at physically. It's football, a game I’ve been playing my whole life. My biggest goal is to mentally get the defense down. That comes with seeing things on the board and taking the reps in practice. I took a lot of notes in meetings last weekend and I brought them home with me. I also brought some tapes of last year’s games so I can watch them and get a feel for the defense.

I feel blessed that I was drafted to a team with so many quality veterans. It’s a great locker room. Shaun Phillips[​IMG] and Shawne Merriman[​IMG] have both been really helpful to me, showing me the ropes. Kevin Burnett[​IMG] is another guy who helped me out last weekend. I’m going to benefit from playing with those guys.

I’ll be back in San Diego on May 18 for the start of OCS’s. I’m really looking forward to those practices. With the repetition, the comfort level is going to increase and really allow me to play at my best. OCS's are going to help me tremendously as I get ready to try to help this team win games.

http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/nfl-101-rookie-english/96492461-e55f-4449-8911-9ea3d21d3e9a

• Like Like x 1
  2. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    What a great attitude. Really blew me away. Thanks for posting. He sounds like he's going to do great on our team.

:tup::tup::tup:

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Our passrush could be devastating this year.

4. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Man won't it be great to actually get some pressure?

I really hope we can take back third down again like 2 years ago. We must have led the league in 3rd and long conversion allowed.

I think you may see opposing offenses quite take a different approach against us this year. Instead of having the most pass plays ran against us, I think people will try to run at us all day long.

There is no doubt we will see huge amounts of draws and screens ran against this year to try and get our outside heat guys overpursuing.

I hope these ILB and safeties pan out or Philip will have some long wait times on the bench.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Exactly man. If you really see how teams like Pitt and Balt are so successful on Defense is because they got guys that can blitz from any or all sides. They bring the heat from both the edges or the interior and I know AJ was thinking what we where thinking, thus, the acquisition of English. Add in a healthy dose of Merriman and Phillips and we're going to bring some serious heat to the opposing QB. We got to put those QB's on their heels man and also stuff the run. I think it's Pitts D that's so dominate and that they don't have to have a spectacular O. Even tho the O is pretty damn good. I think we can put it all together this year. Not too many teams are better than us imo. We've got as much a chance to win this thing as anybody else in the league. Let's do it NOW!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Interesting. I've seen so much talk here focus on our weak pass defense, and it deserves the attention. But let's not forget that our rush defense is also pretty weak. Teams were able to put a big numbers on our defense last year. Hell, Pittsburgh almost switched to a rush-based system because it was so easy. We have Jamal Williams to plug up the middle but I'm not all that confident that Bigham at DE is ready to hit RB's if they come his way. Castillo is also a weak run-stopper. As for the linebackers, Cooper is a beast and he'll be helpful. Bennet was Dallas' answer to rushing attacks according to my Cowboys fan floor mate. Merriman is a beast and Philips was very good at getting to the spot later on in the season. Beyond them, the team's leading tackler was Weddle so we know he can handle it if no one else can. Hart is a weak one here and if Rb's do choose to stretch the field Jammer and Cason were money on stopping them; Cro was horrendous. I think the one person who will be a huge help all season in destroying the yards past LOS stats of our opponents is Merriman. He can stretch the field like no other, one reason people find him better than DeMarcus Ware, and when he hits he can cause fumbles. Merriman is run-stopping linebacker for sure.

7. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I think we did lead the league in that category. We also had the least amount of 3-and-outs on defense.

In hindsight, our offense was all the more impressive, given the limited amount of possessions we had each game.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    drafting english, martin, and ellis (the satefy's name?), and signing burnett spell good d. if nothing else it's putting the entire squad on notice, "yeah the press might think your good but unless your demonstrating it on the field you better keep a box for your **** ready."
    f who was what pick and where they were at, this off season is a demonstration of managment 101.
    keep 'em looking over their shoulders AJ.

9. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Ellison.