1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 101: Rookie English

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Posted Jun 25, 2009
    By Larry English

In his latest installment of his rookie diary, Chargers first-round draft pick Larry English discusses how he grew during OCS’s and reveals his plans for his downtime before training camp.

It’s been a fun couple of weeks for me. Last Friday I got to throw out the ceremonial first pitch at Petco Park. I was a little nervous, but I got to warm up a little with Padres outfielder Will Venable before the big moment. I got loose and delivered a strike. I stayed for the game and had a lot of Chargers fans introduce themselves. Everybody had nice things to say to me and I appreciated the kind words from the fans.

We wrapped up Offseason Coaching Sessions last week and things went really well for me. I think it was real beneficial for me in a sense that I gained a real comfort level with the team and with the scheme of the defense. I feel a lot more confident as we head into training camp because of the base I’ve developed for myself.

I stayed in San Diego this week and worked out with my teammates. I’ve also been able to see some more of the city and I’m still working on doing the little things to get settled in, like finding a place. I’ve looked at a few I liked, but for now I’m still with my teammates at the hotel, which is cool.

On Saturday, I’ll join the seven other Chargers draft picks on a cross-country flight to Palm Beach, Florida for the rookie symposium. I’m sure we’re going to learn a lot about life in the NFL and it will be a beneficial few days. Every draft pick from around the NFL will be at the symposium, and it will be good to see some guys that I became friends with leading up to the draft. Robert Ayers from the Broncos and Kyle Moore from the Buccaneers are a couple guys I got to know really well through the Combine and workouts and things like that, so I’m looking forward to catching up with them.

After the symposium, I’ve got a couple weeks of downtime. The weekend of the Fourth of July, there’s an event in Las Vegas for a lot of the rookies and I’m going to head out there. Other than that, I’ll be in Chicago working out, spending time with family and getting ready for training camp.

My mindset right now is really using the time we have off to continue to get better. I think it’s important to get a little bit of a break, but you also have to make sure you’re ready for training camp. While I’m home, I’ll be watching film, studying the playbook and doing a little extra training. It’ll be here before we know. The break will be nice, but I can’t wait for camp to get here.

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I don't say this about dudes too often.....but look at that body!

He's 6'3 270lbs of pure muscle! And despite all that, he has one hell of a fast first step!

4. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    270?
    Umm hes 6'2 255

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Closer to 255, but he's still a load. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Really?

NFL.com has him listed at 274.
    ESPN.com has him listed at 274
    Foxsports.com has him listed at 274

:icon_huh:

7. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    he's not 270, he said in an interview that was a typo, he usually plays at 250-255, and the most he's ever weighed was 262.

but still I get your point.

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    So all 3 sports networks made the same typo?

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    No, all 3 were as full of **** as most roster listings. :lol:

10. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Do you blame Fox news... :lol:

11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    • Like Like x 1
  12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Ok, I guess everyone wen't off the NIU roster sheet.

I remember when I was in highschool the roster had me listed at 6'2 265. I was more like 6'0 235. hahahahahaha