1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 101: Rookie English

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Larry English with Morod Shah Posted Dec 4, 2009

Chargers rookie linebacker Larry English discusses the thrill of his first fumble recovery and the concept of “hitting the wall” in his latest diary entry.

The past six weeks have been pretty nice. We are on a six-game win streak and I feel like we are starting to really click on all cylinders. We had some pretty big wins over some really good teams during our streak, and after last week’s win over the Chiefs, we’re done with our division games. I’ve quickly learned that no matter what each team’s record is, division games are going to be a dog fight.
    I’ve been pretty fortunate as a rookie to get a significant amount of playing time. Even though it’s a great learning experience, I feel I have responded well to the challenges that my coaches have given me and the ones I’ve given myself. I recorded my first career fumble recovery last game against the Chiefs. It’s nice when you get a chance to make a play like that and it definitely felt good to make a big play for the team at that point in the game. It would’ve been nice to get a sack and a fumble recovery, but I’m glad I got one out of the two and made a big play.
    Before the game Sunday, they announced the 50th greatest Chargers in team history and it was really good to witness the whole award ceremony. Some of the guys on that list are NFL legends and it was great to see them all before our game. At the same time, it was motivating and made me want to be on that list one day. Everyone wants to be regarded that highly because it’s a great honor and I hope to be there before my time here is finished.
    This time last year I was just finishing my college season. It’s crazy to think it’s already been a full year since my college days were over. It’s been a process and I’ve learned quite a bit but I feel like I can continue to improve on my skills. My expectations for myself are always real high and I am never satisfied with where I am at so I have to continue to get better.
    Looking forward, we still have five big games left in this season and I feel great. I know that for a lot of rookies, it takes a while to really get used to the long NFL season. Some hit a wall, but not me. My body feels really good right now even though I have little things I have to deal with. We all have some nicks and bruises that we have to fight through, so that’s all normal. The key is really to stay sharp mentally and take the “mind over matter” mindset.
    It’s going to be interesting this week to get back in cold weather and possibly play in snowy conditions. I haven’t played in it in a long time and it might take me a little while to get back adjusted to playing in it. I have been so spoiled living here in San Diego where the weather is always nice that I have forgotten what the cold feels like. Sunday will definitely be interesting. It’s always a challenge to go on the road and play in hostile place like I know Cleveland will be, but we’ve got to get December started off right. We’ll be ready.

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887

Mr English, I can tell you, the cold still SUCKS!!!!!!!!:icon_evil:

3. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    After reading this I got a new respect for Mr. English, he comes across totally humble and disciplined. He hasn't made a huge impact yet but with his focus and determination I think he will pan out to be a real impact player and leader on the D.

Go Bolts!

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Looking forward to seeing him get some extended time in Cleveland.