1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NFL admits to wrong call in Chargers game

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by FCBolt, Sep 10, 2013.

1. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Looks like it should be a call only when there's a 'forcible' hit to the head/neck area. Leapfrog shouldn't have counted.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...c-ref-erred-on-penalty-call-in-texanschargers

2. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    yep, I was at the game, and totally pissed they called a small bump after a jump a hit on the center. It was a major back breaking call. The wind went out of the sails after that call.

3. D4L

D4L BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    That really did suck and did take some momentum away from us. But all we had to do was stop them on third down at the end of the game. Our Offense didn't help by going 3& out and not putting any pts on the board after the 1st drive of the 3d qrter. I know we keep saying this but we have to learn from these things and not repeat them. McCoy you got your pass on choking. Don't do it again. Go Bolts!

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Ooops! So now what? Exactly! That type of stuff pisses me off, like the Golden Tate TD call last year against the Packers
    or the call on the Packers awarding the 49ers an extra down, or the Ed Hochuli call against Denver a couple years back. Although it isn't much, things like that time and time again can really determine the outcome of this game, intead of Houston just going for the 3 points the would have been forced to try to go for 7 at the end which could have ended in our favor.

There needs to be some kind of ramifications or compensation from the NFL on things like this, like a compensatory draft pick or something awarded to a team if the NFL ref blows a call that big.

5. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    It sucks but strong teams overcome that stuff.

We'll see how well this team can come back from a tough loss on Sunday. I think Kelly & Co. are gonna run us slam outta gas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    That call alone isn't what killed the Bolts but it didn't help either. Every now and then teams have to overcome that which goes against them, Champions do.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    That's true...but since the consensus just before opening day was that we were the 27th best team,
    that wouldn't appear to apply to us. :sick: To beat a team of the Texans' caliber, the Chargers have
    almost no margin of error.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Agreed. Making the ranking look justified, no?

Now perhaps if we could do rankings based on the first 30 mins. ......

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Well no need to play any games huh guys? Because the mediots all say the Chargers are bad... ;)

10. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +262
    At least they admit it was the wrong, but not going to help out now. But then again, we rarely get the football gods on our side...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    No - we play them, raise/lower our rankings and/or make them look like fools. Either way, I'm not advocating that we forfeit the season, give up trying, or suck for "enter your favorite for the 2014 draft here".

But again - the reality of what I say & how you toss it back apparently needn't match.

12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    I've pointed out numerous times that the average national media assessment
    of the Chargers began at #27...just to remind people that the outside world
    does not evaluate the team as high as many in this little bubble do.
    Basically, the Chargers are coming off their winningest decade in team history,
    and I think the casual fans should remember that all that winning is not this club's norm.

That said, I do think #27 is a bit low...though I too may be wearing San Diego rose-colored glasses.

ESPN was one of the kinder sources, re. the Chargers...putting us at #24 initially.

But the whole "Power Rankings" concept is just inherently flawed:
    Even though the Chargers played the Texans to a virtual draw, the "L" dropped them from
    #24 to #26...and, though the Texans played just barely above the level of a "#26 team,"
    their "W" moved them up from #7 to #6.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2013/week/2

So the weird lesson here is that after one game--in which the Chargers and Texans appeared to be
    about as even as mathematically possible--the Texans are awesome and up to #6
    and the Chargers are a disgrace and down to #26.

As pessimistic as I've been about the Chargers' roster this year, I can't say that I saw
    20 places (that's nearly 2/3 of the entire league!) of difference between the Texans & the Chargers...

p.s. We all know that some losses hurt more than others...and this last one is of the most frustrating, heart-punching kind...and--though it's nice to have the error admitted--in this case it just makes me feel even worse about this "L"...because it was so within reach...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Look RR. Perhaps you are not very experienced in communication. You seem to feel that one must only respond to what you type and never expand on their opinion, and not group respond to posts with similar mind sets. That is foolish. Your BS in the 'But again' sentence makes me feel you are perhaps a bit too butt hurt from the expression of opinions, so why don't you take a step back? I found your post humerus to that point.

If i were to only respond to your posts, and never expand on my perception then why would I post here, it would only be to your drum, on your opinion. That is not realistic so why don't you simmer down a bit?

If you cant do that, then please feel free to put me on your ignore list because I dont have time to play by your rules and deal with your drama.... ummm kay?:)

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    I see what you are saying, but should we rely on the fickle divinity of Football to win? ;)

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    So the intent of the rule is this...
    "The rule is to protect the snapper on a field goal or extra point from a direct forcible blow to the head or neck area, or with the crown/forehead/hairline parts of the helmet to the body. It was not designed to prohibit any contact with the snapper, which is what happened on this play."
    Cam went over his back, so it was the wrong call. That said, I get the need to protect the players, but man more and more players are being put in dresses.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Yours and one other, did you fail to notice that?

17. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    You found my post in the upper bone of your arm? Wow - I usually only make it just below the skin.

I'm completely calm - and I'm certainly not raising my BP over you, sweetheart.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    action/words darlin...

19. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,512
    Too much coffee, or not enough? ;)

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Are you asking about your current state of caffination? That would be something you would have to answer...:D

21. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,512
    Just a general question....... does it deserve it's own thread, perhaps? ;)

[​IMG]

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    We have a Philosophy thread... We could possibly use a Caffenation thread...

23. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976

But why did Cam even go over his back like that to begin with?

So the NFL said we got another bad call thrown our way. Its not the first time and it wont be the last.

We still did not make a first down in the 4th quarter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    I know what happened

[​IMG]

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    I cant answer why he did it. Though it is not illegal, so why not?

26. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    It can be considered illegal, he was flagged for it. So why even go there, just to see how much he can get away with? The NFL had the luxury have having the instant replay in slow motion. The game refs have to make a snap decision in real time at game speed. If you don't go there you wont have to worry about it, if you want to see how much you can get away with, we can keep expecting flags. That flag cost us the game. They took the 3 points off the scoreboard, gave them a first down and the Texans walked in and scored a touchdown.

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,772
    Not anymore and it wasn't illegal when he did it, someone did there homework and understood that it only means no blows to the head or neck, no spearing with the helmet. Now everyone knows how to get past the long snapper if he just holds his stance.

28. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Maybe because the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line?

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    My understanding, and I am no guru on the NFL rules is it would be illegal for one of the Chargers to go over CAMS back. There is nothing that says Cam cannot go over the center to try and block. The rule, which is new this season prevents the center from being hit in the neck or head, not from being touched.

30. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,772
    It's the new NFL and it ain't what it used to be. Time to move on.