1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL APPROVES NEW OT RULES!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Mar 23, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
  2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I am sure the Union will have to something to say about this because it lengthens the game. I guess they could always pay the players more for the playoff games to compensate.

3. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    It only applies for playoff games.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Gay.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    It still changes the work parameters that was collectively bargained upon. It is a violation of the labor law.

It would be like your employer saying I want you to work overtime for no additional pay. I do not think we have heard the last of this new OT rule.

6. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    So what happens if a safety is scored first?

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    They shoot him, give the O a first down and replay the down... :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5022064

"The reason for the change was the increased accuracy of kickers since 1993. In 1994, the NFL moved kickoffs from the 35 to the 30, which created better field position for the teams that won the coin toss and received the kickoffs."
    :icon_rofl: Our opponents must hate this rule! :icon_rofl:

9. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    QFT

• Like Like x 1
  10. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    hahahaha yeh. I know!:icon_toast:

11. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Holy chit! Howdy TM! Actually, with the expiration of the current collective bargaining agreement term, I doubt this is going to be an issue until they start negotiating the new one.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Boltage Bimbo

Boltage Bimbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    This is disgusting! So now cry baby Manning gets his way again.

Why don't they just say let's not even keep score and give all the players a little trophy for participation because competing is bad. Everybody wins... yippie. :icon_wtf:

P.S. Now that they passed this sh*t, look forward to it in regular season as well, it will happen. :tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I don't know who voted against but I read that the colts owner was against it (a couple of days ago), plus, this wouldn't have affected the Chargers-Colts game

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    My understanding is that many elements of the CBA are in place for the uncapped year.

For instance, the final 8 rule for the restricted free agents, free agents need 6 years versus 4 years to be free agents, 30% salary increase rule etc etc.

If the owners wanted to add another game to the season that would need to be collectively bargained. It can not be done unilaterally. I see this in the same vein. :yes:

15. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703

[​IMG]

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Game over !! :bolt:

Ins and outs of the new overtime rule
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 23, 2010 9:46 PM ET

The NFL first utilized overtime in 1958, when the Colts beat the Giants in the game that history points to as the moment pro football became a major American sport. More than a quarter-century later, the NFL adopted sudden-death overtime for the regular season, dramatically expanding its use.

Now, 36 years after that, the NFL has deactivated the land mine that could have marred a Super Bowl, nearly two months to the day after it undermined the NFC title game by sending the Saints to the championship game after a field goal to cap the first drive of overtime.

For those of you who haven't been following the events that culminated in today's vote, here's a list of questions and answers that should tell you everything you need to know, and then some.

And, yes, we agree with the move. It's not perfect, and it's not the rule we would have adopted. But it's better.

Q: Why did the league make the change?

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell constantly talks about the importance of striving for ways to improve the game. And the league did just that with a rule that prevents a team from winning a postseason game by receiving the kickoff to start overtime, driving 30 yards or so, and sending the ball through the goal posts for a three-point victory.

"It wasn't producing the 'fairest result,' if you will, based on the effect of field goal accuracy, field goal distance and the drives chart," Competition Committee co-chair Rich McKay said during a Tuesday press conference.

The perception of unfairness came from the increase in the amount of first-drive field goals since 1994, when the kickoff point was moved from the 35 to the 30. Though in the past the league considered simply moving the kickoff from the 30 back to the 35, the Competition Committee focused on what came to be known as "modified sudden death."

Q. What is the new rule?

It's simple. The team that receives the kickoff to start overtime in a playoff game can no longer win by kicking a field goal on the first drive. If the team that receives the kickoff to start overtime scores a field goal, the team that kicked off gets a possession, and can match with a field goal (converting the game to sudden death), beat the field goal with a touchdown (and win), or fail to score at all (and lose).

That sums it all up. But we realize that some of you will prefer to have the various permutations crammed into your mouths via a spoon.

So here we go. We hope you don't mind a spork.

Q. What happens if the team that receives the opening kickoff scores a field goal?

The game continues, and the team that kicked off gets a chance to match or beat the three points the other team scored.

Q. What happens if the team that receives the opening kickoff scores a touchdown?

Game over. The team that received the ball to start overtime wins.

Q. Isn't that unfair, too?

Yes and no. Though we'd prefer that both teams be guaranteed a possession regardless of whether the team that receives the opening kickoff scores a touchdown or a field goal, the rule that the NFL adopted allows the team that kicked off to defend the end zone instead of the goal posts.

Q. What happens if the team that receives the opening kickoff punts?

The game essentially converts to sudden death. The next team to score wins the game.

Q. What happens if the team that receives the opening kickoff turns the ball over?

The game essentially converts to sudden death. The next team to score wins the game.

Also, if the turnover is returned for a touchdown on the same play, the game ends at that moment.

Most importantly, if the defense fumbles the ball after forcing the turnover and the team that received the opening kickoff recovers, the game ends on the first score, even if it's a field goal.

Q. What if the teams that receives the opening kickoff is tackled in the end zone?

The other team scores two points, and the game ends.

Q. What happens if the team that kicks off to start overtime recovers an onside kick?

The game converts to sudden death.

Q. What happens if the team that received the kickoffs scores a field goal and stops the other team from scoring?

Game ends. The ream that scored the field goal on the opening drive wins.

Q. What happens if, after the team that receives the kickoff scores a field goal, the other team scores a field goal?

The game converts to sudden death, and the team that received the kickoff to start overtime gets the next kickoff. The next score wins.

Q. What happens if, after the team that receives the kickoff scores a field goal, the other team scores a touchdown?

Game ends. The team that scored the touchdown wins.

So that's it. Everything you could want to know about the new overtime rules. (Actually, there's one more scenario we haven't presented here, involving the possibility of a nine-point final margin of victory. We're tracking down the answer and we'll follow up soon.)

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Union could pick fight over overtime changes
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 23, 2010 6:55 PM ET

The NFL passed on Tuesday a change to the overtime procedures. But the league's coaches might not be the only group feeling miffed by the move.

As we pointed out on Monday, the NFLPA believes that player approval is required. As a matter of labor law, the union's position is that the revision to overtime constitutes a mandatory subject of bargaining. It means that the NFL, in the union's view, has an obligation to sit down with the NFLPA and work out a deal. In exchange for agreeing to modified sudden death, the players would get something in return.

And we're still inclined to agree with the players. Extended overtime extends the work hours of the players involved. The rule should not change without their consent.

To the extent that the league is now considering application of the new rule to the regular season as well, the union's argument only gets stronger. And it could be that the league's ultimate concession to the union, via collective bargaining, will be an agreement not to use the extended overtime system for regular-season games.

Whether that will be enough to placate the union remains to be seen. But we don't expect them to go away quietly on this one, especially in light of the broader issues between the two parties.

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    So now a team can win in over time by scoring a 2 point safety and lose on a 3 point field goal. :lol: :banghead:

Only in the NFL. :banghead:

19. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Even under these new rules, we would've still won that playoff game against the Colts...we won the coin toss, received the ball and moved it down the field, scoring a touchdown and ending the game. NFL MVP Peyton Manning still would've never touched the ball in overtime, even under this system.

I think it is totally stupid to do this just for the playoffs though, as the results of regular season overtime games can definitely determine who even makes the postseason, and who does not in addition to playoff seeding. Why would you want coaches to coach one way uring the regular season, and another way during the playoffs?

It's kinda like MLB only using replay for the postseason, even though "1 game playoffs" to decide divisional championships or Wild Card winners occur after almost every season.

20. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    my only question remaining is (let's call it the Marlon McCree rule)

Team A receives de opening kickoff and scores a FG, then team B goes on offense and throws a pick/fumbles de ball and team A recovers, is the game over right there or could the intercepting player fumble the ball back to team B?

(never mind, I just answered my own question, at the moment of the pick there's a change of possesion, so the second possesion ended, so game over, all I wonder is would the refs blow the wistle at the moment the pick is made?)

21. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    I regret to inform you all that I have been owned.:icon_eek:

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I love how every time you hear about this, they bring up the Saints over Vikings in the NFCC.

It' very obvious... the networks are still butt hurt cause they didn't get a Manning/Farve Super Bowl. So because of that, rules need to be changed.