1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NFL-COM list of possible head coaches...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,396
    I've had my suspicions. ;)

2. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,053
    Something we agree 100% on .... No more retreads, inject some blood, show that you have some football awareness Spanos.

In other words....... Will NEVER happen. :(

Personally would love to see David Shaw given the job, but that will never happen either unfortunately, it'll be a nice "soft choice" that will again bring more false dawns to the Charger faithful, who will again stick by the tried and true loser motto of ....

"C'mon now, lets get behind him and give him our support"

Until this franchise is rid of the Spanos name, expect nothing more than mediocracy, it should be their given middle name.

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,887
    People dwell way too much on what the team looked like the year before the coach took over.

There's progress (in either direction) that needs to be credited for after.

If we're just going to look at Norval's first 3 years on the job I'm still a Norval fan. I don't care what the team looked like the year before he took over. He still took this team to the playoffs three years in a row and actually did more (even if not the end goal) than his predecessor ever did.

The reason I jumped on the fire Norv train was NOT because he took over a talented team and didn't win the Super Bowl. I jumped on board because after those three years his team spiraled out of control.

4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,396
    We have no idea what Shaw would "need" in order to take the job. If he's one of those guys who wants to "shop for his own groceries", then we all know the answer is no.

5. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,053
    Why wouldn't we want the next guy to shop for his own groceries ?????

Don't tell me you think the current "shoppers" have covered themselves in glory of late ?

If so, then as I've stated many times over the last few, expect this franchise to go nowhere fast.

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,396
    You know damn well that Dean believes in the separation of the GM and HC positions.

The GM picks the players, the HC coaches them. That doesn't mean the HC can't add his opinion to the other scouts, but the GM still calls the shots.

7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Well if were dwelling on the past, then Norv was never a winner as a head coach.

Norv had the team to take to the Super Bowl from 2007-2010. This year we honestly had a chance, blowing consecutive leads in the 2nd halves all year, this team could of been 10-6 easily. Heck, we finished 7-9, the Denver, New Orleans, and Tampa games should have been wins. Then you have games like the domination of the Pittsburgh Steelers, in Pittsburgh, to come home and get blown out by the Panthers.

Inconsistency was a key for Norv Turner his whole tenure here, and his coaching career. That wash't the case for Gruden and his entire coaching career.

8. Navybolt

Navybolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I fully expect the Chargers to wait until every HC is hired except Andy Reid or Romeo Crennel... And then, it will be like hiring Norv all over again! No one else left out there...

It would be nice if the offensive coordinator spoke directly to the QB, not through a second person when calling plays like Nervous Norv does!

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,396
    So, Gruden just consistently sucked at the end of his career. ;)

10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I would be optimistic about Arians.

11. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +252
    I'd be cautious about him personally. I know he had a good season, but the players were clearly motivated by Pagano and wanted to win for Chuck. Does that reflect on Arians for keeping them together, or the players for wanting to win for Chuck?

12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I would say bold more than underline. Also, look at the wins the Colts posted: GB, Minnesota, Houston, and a bunch of crap. Look at their losses: Chicago, Jacksonville, New England, Houston and New York. Two disappointments, the 1 and 3 seed in the playoffs this year, and a 10-6 non-playoff team.

Maybe Arians won't be a good HC elsewhere, I don't know, but his team wildly exceeded expectations, and that offense is all on him. I don't think that our receivers are that far behind Indy's, I think our TE situation is abominable compared to theirs though, and the lines are similar. I think that with some line investment that we could field a more talented offense than Indy did, and I know that our defense is already better.

That's why I'd be optimistic about him as a head coach. I know he can design and implement an offensive scheme to compliment his players, and I think that he can get his players to play. One thing about the "Pagano" effect, is that I don't think you can ride that for 3 months. Getting guys to play hard, practice hard, and lift hard takes more than constant references to your cancer-riddled HC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Of course you expect that. Nothing good ever happens. Being a cynic is always the way to go.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +252
  15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Oh God, we're going to get Chicago'd.

16. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304
    I assume this is referring to Lovie Smith?

PS - As I write this I realise how strange it would be to have a HC named "Lovie". :confused:

17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Thurston Howell III used to say the same thing, when he owned Ohio State U.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,600
    Lovie's probably just begging to work with a QB who isn't a giant douchebag

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304
    lovie howell.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,396
  21. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Lovie looks like a lock. Requiring PO experience eliminates any college HC, and he appears to want a retread. I just don't think that Cowher or Gruden are in the stars, and Lovie is readily available.

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,396
    I find it interesting, since they said that the new GM would be involved in any coaching hire....... does this mean Raye essentially has the job already?

23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    If the other guys who were really in contention for the job already shot down Dean's advances, it very well could.

24. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    This is why I'm not listening to anything Sports Center, NFL Network or NFL.com puts out until we hire a GM.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,396
    I believe it was Albert Breer, who I heard on the radio earlier, who said that he thought Raye was still the favorite for the job.

26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,600
    The only reason I can see Raye being the favorite over Caldwell or Gamble is because he's well aware of the talent we have on the roster and how they will fit into different schemes.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,396
    And, he already has a working relationship with John Spanos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +456
    Acee saying its Raye or Telesco, and that they will announce it tomorrow. Also said HC candidate interview permission slips going out today, will start interviews this week.

29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,600
    I hope its Raye. I don't know much about Telesco except his team had the 1st overall pick 9 months ago.

30. Kj1551

Kj1551 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Whisenhunt

Pros
    -Hard nose attitude
    -Playoff experience
    -Superbowl experience as a coordinator and head coach
    -worked with subpar offensive lines when he first arrived in Arizona
    -Revitalized Kurt Warner's career

Cons